Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Good evening - its me again   Really?  That made me chuckle - Just who else would it be then? LOL rofl

Ok, re the lettering, can't seem to find it in my records so I have e-mailed the local firm (Here) that provided them and get an answer from them, you never know they might be able to do them in miniature for you thereby saving a lot of time and patience

Griff

• Like 1

Thanks Griff, if they have a pdf copy of the artwork, even that would help.

I have added another plank and steamed the last of the wide planks, now to do the corner, then back to wide planks up the sides. I have to pop over to my parents tomorrow after delivering a chest of drawers,

but I will try and get some work done before and after. My dad wants to see pictures of the build (and maybe take a copy to show my Uncle (the one that built the Victory)).

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Just who else would it be then? LOL

Well if I leave the laptop lid open it could easily have been one of the cats, but you can usually tell as their spelling is atrocious. plus they have not got the knack of posting pictures yet.

IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4033.JPG

IMG_4034.JPG

IMG_4035.JPG

• Like 4

I remember that one too! I worked at his studio in Ipswich a year or two before that one, I did fences as work experience. Great bloke, I loved the detail and little jokes that went into his cartoons. He had several Guinness pumps besides the drawing boards, wasted on me though, I couldn't stand the stuff! I spent more time as a runner/go get than I did wielding a pen or wash/photo-paque brush but it was a great experience. 

Right - nearly ready to go out, the first narrow plank has been shaped steamed and fitted, the last wide bottom plank has been glued in, I reckon that with a plank on the transom we almost have got to the point where she would float (though there might be a slight gap at the bow to fill first).

Dont worry, I wont be trying this just yet, the planking has to be finished before she comes off the build board, but we are looking good to finish this hull before Christmas. then the second hull can be started on the build board, and work can be done on both as the second hull is built up.

IMG_4036.JPG

IMG_4037.JPG

IMG_4038.JPG

• Like 3

after a trip to my parents, more patches put on their conservatory roof (it was damaged 2 years ago and leaks like a sieve) I did offer to put new corrugated sheeting on it, but they have been humming and hawing about a new conservatory (the existing one is about 40 years old and the wood on top of the wall is rotting. while I was there my aunt turned up with one of my cousins, one afternoon gone. anyway another narrow plank shaped up and steamed, and the one I did this morning glued in place. I see now that I am within spitting distance of completing the planking to the top of the bow.

IMG_4039.JPG

IMG_4040.JPG

• Like 3

today there will be no update, as I have only just walked through the doors due to a road closure on the A2 exit from the M25, tailbacks from junction 2 to the M11, dinner has just gone into the oven, so by the time I have eaten I wont really have time to do anything tonight.

So my apologies for lack of progress last night, but after 3 hours to do a journey that can normally be done on a bad day in just over an hour, I was shattered.

Traffic permitting, I should be back up and running again this evening, strangely even though I was shattered, I really missed doing a little work on the model, its become a daily routine that I really look forward to, and like all routines, when it doesnt happen it feels like there is something missing in the day. Friday will be similar as I will be driving a little way North from the office in the afternoon to attend my company Christmas bash, this year themed as a Masque Ball (now before anyone starts up with me not needing a mask at the Ball, we dont have to provide them, they will be provided for us, or I would have printed Timbo's photo and used it as a mask to go as an archaologist (Timbo Jones and the temple of doom).

• Like 4

My eyebrows have only just recently re-sited themselves where they normally reside after I read:-

So my apologies for lack of progress last night,

With the amount of progress you have made, and daily updates, the last thing you need to be doing is apologising. By my reckoning you are well in front of theesen.

May I suggest once you have finished planking on model #1 you get one of those small hand pumped water sprayers, fill it with 5 star Cuprinol and give the whole lot 2 x applications of the stuff (Allowing plenty of drying time between each application of course)

Griff

P.S - No word from our graphics man - I'll give him a nudge

• Like 1

a bit more work this lunch time has produced the following, now to reduce it to half that size - a nice job for later while waiting in my hotel room to get ready for the company christmas do - see even when I am not at home there are little tasks that can be done to progress the build.

once I have a fair copy it can be positioned next to where it will sit and be copied onto the hull, but first of course a series of practice pieces, one in this size might make a good nameplate for the models stand, so practice pieces will not necessarily go to waste.

IMG_4043.JPG

• Like 1

I spoke with our graphics supplier today, he has received my emailed request but is a bit busy.  He reckons he can get the size of the lettering down to 10mm (Height) maybe even a tad smaller but won't be able to cut / print the red shadowing.

What letter height do you need Grendel?

Griff

Well at the moment I am thinking the original letters are about 6" high, or maybe 5" looking at the width of the whole across the stern, so 10mm would be about right for 5",12mm for 6", the red shadow I can line in by hand. actually I have just pulled up a photo for the stern and the whole appears to take up about 7 foot to 8 foot width, so 6" (12mm) seems a better height.