Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Morning Grendel,  I have this morning fired off the order to 'Premier Signs' up here in Armthorpe.  As soon as hey are done I will collect and post down to yersen. (Was round at daughters last night putting cupboards up on walls whilst MrsG was helping decorated trees)  Today off down to Birmingham for overnight, seeing Rod Stewart in concert this evening apparently

Griff

• Like 1

have a good time at the concert Griff, I have just finished my breakfast, (only just beating the corporate Managing Director to breakfast, but beating those who were partying until 5.30am - I was heading for bed at midnight).

Just tidying my bits up and will be hitting the road soon headed for home - maybe a 3 hour drive depending upon traffic as I am just outside Daventry. Fantastic hotel, great party, but now time to get home and get on with the weekend and do some work on the model.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Morning Grendel,  I have this morning fired off the order to 'Premier Signs' up here in Armthorpe.  As soon as hey are done I will collect and post down to yersen. (Was round at daughters last night putting cupboards up on walls whilst MrsG was helping decorated trees)  Today off down to Birmingham for overnight, seeing Rod Stewart in concert this evening apparently

Griff

:wave Eve and I went up to Birmingham on Thursday and then went to the concert on Friday night.  There were 24 of us in the boxes on the left, hope we were not too noisey!  Absolutely brilliant concert.  He don't do too bad for 71 does he?! cheers

• Like 2

just to prove that the smallest of details is being attended to, my stainless steel pins arrived, now to transform the heads into slightly larger than scale screw heads, tapping a blade with a hammer across the head didnt work, but a quick pass wth a miniature triangular file did. the head of the pin is about 1mm across (1/25" in old money), also shown is a zoomed out picture - the marks on the wood - from the knife blade and file, that wood is only 15mm wide.

IMG_4050.JPG

IMG_4051.JPG

• Like 2

just for fun and to get back into practice I had a go at the lettering this evening, I need to get the newness out of the brushes as they just are not flowing right just yet for lettering, plus its been a while so my hand is not quite as steady as it could be, but here is my first practice attempt at the font and lettering, on a piece of lime blind slat coloured white.

this is at 12mm as I have specified above to Griff, and fits across the stern of the model about the same as seen in some of the photos I have, I think 10mm would have just been too small.

IMG_4054.JPG

IMG_4055.JPG

IMG_4056.JPG

IMG_4057.JPG

IMG_4058.JPG

• Like 2

This afternoon, another shaped plank, another fixed in place. Seven planks left to be shaped and eight to be fixed, then I will need to shape a cradle for the model to sit in for the next phase of work on it. then we repeat the whole of the last few months, taking even more care in its construction.

A lot has been learned getting this hull to this point, things that will make the next easier to construct, pus now I have a few tools I did not have first time around - eg the laser line, that will also make setting up the frames easier.

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG

IMG_4077.JPG

• Like 4

Ok this mornings problem, I know I have 4 planks left on this side, so knowing I wanted the top plank to be a full width one all the way along I just re-measured and recalculated the plank widths and came on a sticky problem, for a short section I was up to 5mm wider than my planks, now there are two was around this, 1- I could make a narrow spoiler only 5mm wide at its widest, and about 300mm long, or 2- I could start with a wider plank,  as we are on the side this is a bit flatter so a wider plank isnt an issue, and is easier to shape, so for this next plank I have started with a 20mm plank, shaped down to 10mm at the back, and 13mm at the front. if you look at the pictures you may see my measurements and calculations. the plank is now steaming.

IMG_4078.JPG

IMG_4079.JPG

IMG_4080.JPG

IMG_4081.JPG

• Like 2

And this afternoon, that wide plank has now been glued, and another plank shaped and steamed for tomorrow.

A couple of shots down the length of the model so you can appreciate those lovely curves, I must say that the feeling as you run your hands along the hull makes you appreciate the curves those original boatbuilders put into her. though I have to confess that in this hull there is a noticable dip in the lines on one side, I will have to ensure this does not occur on the second hull, on this one this will be cured with a skim of filler - the dip is less than 0.5mm, but you can feel it as you run your hand down that side.

IMG_4084.JPG

IMG_4085.JPG

IMG_4086.JPG

IMG_4087.JPG

IMG_4088.JPG

IMG_4089.JPG

IMG_4090.JPG

• Like 3

Got caught up again - this thread is illegally addictive I will state

My graphics supplier rang today for some details / information.  He stated from his records that the bow lettering is the same size as the transom lettering.  He will cut / produce the graphics for two models pronto, and will 'Have a go' at the smaller red lettering on the transom and let me know how he gets on (I have sent him the link to this thread)   As soon as he has done them I will collect and post down.

He is also producing a set of full size transom lettering for our forthcoming 'AMP' in February. 

Griff

• Like 2

tonight's progress leaves us within a few planks of finishing the planking. and happy with the progress, after that out comes the sandpaper, and the second hull gets onto the building board, though at that stage a second area of workspace will need to be created, so one hull can rest out of the way while work progresses on the second, this will allow both hulls to have work done. once I have the first hull the right way up, the supports for the decking will go in, then the deck, and edging, I can already visualise the stages that will go into that, and I am looking forward to that challenge. 

IMG_4091.JPG

IMG_4092.JPG

• Like 6