Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Well this morning I went to do some work, and apparently though I thought I had steamed and bent another plank, this morning I found it in the steam box which was still plugged in - it got low on water and shut itself down, and I didnt notice (maybe one too many baileys or rums ) still it was still damp and flexible enough, so was put in place this morning, and I got on and steamed another this morning (worked fine again once the water was topped up).I will glue these later.I will glue these later.

• Like 2

This morning I have been playing in CAD, trying to design the glass for the interior lighting, so that it can be 3d printed in a translucent material and a small led inserted behind to get the lighting, I have worked out how to get the shape, and done a test export as an STL model (the sort of file used to create the data for a 3D printer) now to get the length right and add the side details. (image rotated to show inset hole for LED)

BA light model.JPG

• Like 1

Grendel,

I know it's being a bit "picky", but in the photograph it looks like the narrow bit at the bottom is less than half the width of the bit at the top (guess 40%) so your model looks like it needs a bit more "taper"..

Having said that I'm amazed at the lengths that you are going to to get the "details" right.

Jonathan, you are right, its still a work in progress, but its attention to the detail that brings the final model to life. CAD is my living, so at the moment I am just playing to work out how to do the design, the other error is that the back radius is a right angle to the taper to the front, where the bottom (narrow) detail is less than 90 degrees by the angle of the front, so this is just the current interpretation, I have plenty of time to tweak the design to get it right.

• Like 1

I have purposely left this thread to last to get 'Caught up on' but the clock has beaten me to it and it will have to wait til later now.  Got to pop out on some errands, replace my 12g cartridges for a clay shoot tomorrow (Was game shooting yesterday), visit a new customer for an estimate and a host of other appointments.  Just like the rivers though - I will get there - 
I generally do, although t'other day I set off to the tile suppliers in Donny in my van and met mysen coming back before I got there!
:shocked

Griff

• Like 1

busy day today, helping my daughter tidy her room (it took 2 hours to find the floor) and install a new bed for her, this was an all day marathon effort resulting in 10 bin bags of rubbish (I may not be the tidyest person, but my daughter has untidyness in the extreme) anyway after a 7 hour marathon the bed was in, the room tidy and we celebrated with a chinese takeaway. this resulted with my not getting anything done on the model through the day, but I now have one of the inner stringers at the junction of the deck and cabin sides fitted and glued, and I am about to sally forth on the other one shortly.

• Like 2

and now the other is fitted and glued. just a small amount done today as I am shattered after the hard day I have had. tomorrow will be a trip to the tip with the old mattress, the bed frame will be recycled as timber, and may even find its way into one or both of the models.

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4177.JPG

• Like 3