Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Grendel - Glad to see your trip was worth it.  No-one is going to hold you to task over a couple of spokes on the helm, besides a blind man on a galloping horse would be glad to see it.  Erm - may I suggest you need a bigger side board :rolleyes:

Extra large bog rolls - the new macerator can't handle them. Only for use by certain crew members when going ashore

That ain't no funnel, its our inter-ship communication system, only used my male crew members as the female type don't require such enhancements :hiding:

Griff

• Like 4

not an apparent lot done today, but bits are being bent / cut to form the transom, this will be jointed together in best Timbo style, then notched to take the stringers / beams, and after that mounted onto the build board.

The bending takes a bit of time, as once bent the part has to thoroughly dry out before it can be removed from the bending frame.

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

• Like 4

I have been looking carefully at the lap joints for this, and it should be possible to arrange that the joints hold it all together by themselves, by having the top and middle lap joints opposite at each set of joints it should work, with the ends slotting into place as the locking parts. see my attached scribbles- which will give you an idea how I work these things through, now to work out a locking joint for the bottom at the centre.

transom.JPG

• Like 2

Ok today is another piece in the bending jig, but then now I have the bits bent for one transom, I can start to cut the joints, lets start with that tricky one at the bottom, its a mortice and tenon lap joint, ie a lap joint with a tenon running through the middle, its not as pretty as I would wish, and it could be a bit tighter, but it changes direction in several planes, so top view, side view and from the angle. this is fun, working with tiny chisels less than 1mm wide.

IMG_3624.JPG

IMG_3625.JPG

IMG_3626.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

• Like 6

Well after steaming yet another curve (1 more to go) I got on with cutting joints in 3 dimensions, not at all easy, the last shoulders on the middle 2 cross members were trimmed several times to get a fit, anyway here it is one transom, just held together with clips at the moment, these bits will be used to mark out the second transom (once I have bent all the timbers) then it will be gluing up, fitting the infill pieces on the insides of the bottom corners, then trimming to shape.

I am very pleased how this came out

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3633.JPG

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3631.JPG

• Like 5

Right this evenings work, I did another curved piece as I wasnt happy with one of them, then started constructing transom 2, I have decided not to stagger the joints either side on this one and its a lot easier to do the joints, all done bar the last bar thats still cooling / drying from bending, extremely happy with this one so far.

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3641.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3643.JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

• Like 3

Griff, you will like this next bit, I dug out two bits of wardrobe frameing and stripped it down as thin as I can cut (about 2mm) this will make the outer layer of planking on the transom. it may be mahogany or teak, or some hardwood anyway, and I think it will be perfect for the outer skin on the transom. these work out to about 12" width in scale

IMG_3649.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

• Like 5

Ok I got some more done this afternoon, the second transom is now complete, just waiting to be glued up, and lastly just to show how those pieces cut this afternoon will go on the transom, here you go. there will of course first be vertical planking on there, as with the real thing. the timber I stripped to planks is a lovely close grained piece, and should come up beautifully.

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

• Like 5

Well today was (so far) a day off from making bits for the model - instead I got up early, hit the local boot fair at 7.30, then off across the county - headed for the southern model show. 

A lot of trade stands, sadly mostly for model airplanes or buggys, however I did pick up a bag of motors on a second hand stall for £8 - these are for other models or testing.

2 brand new motors with gearboxes were purchased, 2 different ratios - but metal gears. this was to try them both and install the most suitable in Charlies model (I can always change mine out at a later date). some connectors were bought, and a couple of life belts in the correct scale. one other thing I spotted on one stall was 1/12 scale figures - one was bought and will be tweaked to represent Charlie, I also bought one figure to represent Macie dog.

IMG_3658.JPG

• Like 3

Looks like you have had another fruitful day of it again

one other thing I spotted on one stall was 1/12 scale figures - one was bought and will be tweaked to represent Charlie, I also bought one figure to represent Macie dog.

Macie dog eh? - I never thought of that one or a skipper figure either come to that.  I actually had a full day off yesterday, so it was Tiger riding time (No clay shooting sadly - only every second sunday)  I really ought to do some research round this area for model fairs and the like only that will have to wait a while, orf to Tenerife tomorrow for 8 x days as per MrsG's instructions

Griff

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Looks like you have had another fruitful day of it again

one other thing I spotted on one stall was 1/12 scale figures - one was bought and will be tweaked to represent Charlie, I also bought one figure to represent Macie dog.

Macie dog eh? - I never thought of that one or a skipper figure either come to that.  I actually had a full day off yesterday, so it was Tiger riding time (No clay shooting sadly - only every second sunday)  I really ought to do some research round this area for model fairs and the like only that will have to wait a while, orf to Tenerife tomorrow for 8 x days as per MrsG's instructions

Griff

Where in Tenerife are you going Griff. Have a Nephew( & family) who lives and works there

(People ask if he lives there "no I commute every day")