Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Which was how I made my first flying model Spitfire... with parachute silk!

She was immensely strong and even survived a hand launch by my then wife who threw her nigh on vertically with the ED Racer screaming at max revs. I had no hope of controlling her, threw down the controller as she homed in on me and legged it exit left.    :default_coat:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Its been too long since I last posted here, a combination of following the travels of a certain boat, chasing after it round the coast of kent and other things has stopped me getting on. the latest obstacle was last night when I checked and noticed that the heating boiler was a bit low on pressure, OK, valve cracked , pressure up, turn off valve - bugger, run downstairs, pick up  screwdriver and pliers - remove valve handle grab with pliers and turn off - bugger the valve has jammed open, by now the hot water system is up to 3 bar and still rising. water supply to the top up found and shut down, the problem is thats the  cold feed into the heating system - no hot water. 

Blanking plugs found, the bypass was removed and the blanking plugs fitted, everything was still dribbling, but now the pipe from the  inoperative valve was plugged. now for the other end, the non return valve was also dribbling, on went the plug, still leaking - take the plug off - wheres the washer - not there, hunt around a bit and find a similar size washer - a bit perished, but it worked. by now the pressure is below where I started.

so on the way home, parts procured, then new valve fitted and balance pipe added and system topped up to pressure, whew, but two nights modelling time gone in a flash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Ok - I admit it, I have been putting this off for way too long, time to fit the foredeck, this had a slight curve put in it by heating it with a damp cloth in the microwave then putting it between 2 supports with a weight between. this was then allowed to dry and then glued and clamped to the deck supports. you get one attempt at this, as it will rip the support frame out if it needs to come off. once this has properly set the side decks can go in and the top rail shaped and fitted in place.

IMG_9213.JPG

• Like 4

it suddenly struck me what it could be used for, I have some small split dies used for fine threading, they are too small for my normal die holders. when I checked one it became obvious that this tool was the tool to hold these dies, it had been made for it, there are two dimples either side of the split, these match the outer two screws, the centre bolt has a taper that fits the split in the die to open it out just a tad to produce a tight fit thread.

Thus I now have a threading die holder, in the right size to hold dies for model work. (tenuous I know, but its as near getting anything done tonight that I will get.

IMG_9218.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, grendel said:

it suddenly struck me what it could be used for, I have some small split dies used for fine threading, they are too small for my normal die holders. when I checked one it became obvious that this tool was the tool to hold these dies, it had been made for it, there are two dimples either side of the split, these match the outer two screws, the centre bolt has a taper that fits the split in the die to open it out just a tad to produce a tight fit thread.

Thus I now have a threading die holder, in the right size to hold dies for model work. (tenuous I know, but its as near getting anything done tonight that I will get.

IMG_9218.JPG

Hi Grendel,

As soon as I saw your first picture I thought purpose made tap or die holder, many engineers made their own tools back in the day.

Regards 

Alan

• Thanks 1