Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

had a good annual bonus this year, so a few extravagant purchases have been made, this morning a trip to axminster tools it was a quick visit as I knew what I wanted - a 3 in 1 sheet metal press, it shears, bends and rolls sheet metal. and a new bandsaw from their hobby range, spare bandsaw blades - good quality ones were not cheap, 2 new table saw blades, spotted a small table anvil for £25, some machine tool wax, spent a few hours tweaking the sheet metal worker, still tweaking the bandsaw.

• Thanks 1

HWMBO loves Axminster Tools.  He has bought lots of useful 'bitsas' over the years to use when making his RC models from 'scratch'.  We've never been to them in person - good job though, it would be even more expensive than usual!!!   The current project is a Piaggio 136. 

So today after playing a bit more with the new toys, I was looking at the model thinking how I would progress the curved sides at the front. the issue here is that for some of the curve I have frames to clamp to, but the more extreme part at the front there is nothing to clamp to. so I decided these parts need to be shaped prior to fitting. the next problem is that the wood is too wide for my steaming tubes. so a 10 minute soak in hot water, and clamps readied as well as blocks that conform to the curve needed. out of the water and clamped in place, this will now need to dry out completely before I unclamp, and hopefully that will be those awkward sides shaped.

IMG_9228.JPG

IMG_9229.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

So, more work has been progressing, the clamps are off and the top rail is being planed and sanded flush to the deck, and any small gaps will be filled and sanded back, you can barely see the joint between the front and side sections, these joints were staggered over an inch or so.

IMG_9244.JPG

IMG_9245.JPG

IMG_9246.JPG

IMG_9247.JPG

• Like 1

top rails have been sanded down to the deck level and cleaned up, a little filler has been applied along the join with the hull to ensure its well sealed and smooth.

progress was delayed due to spending a good part of the day trying to find a brake problem, turned out to be unusual wear on a set of handbrake shoes.

14 minutes ago, grendel said:

progress was delayed due to spending a good part of the day trying to find a brake problem, turned out to be unusual wear on a set of handbrake shoes.

Where are they fitted on that model.....:4_joy: Is it something Griff can retro fit to BA?:default_beerchug:

• Haha 2