Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

well I have been busy , both on here and getting some repairs done on my car, add to that the fact that I am proceeding carefully as I dont want to get this stage wrong, so finally I have scribed and cut the angled curved cut to mate the side to the deck, this angle varies along the deck, the curve is easy to scribe, but getting the angle is tricky, I took the biggest angle in the end and cut the curve on the bandsaw carefully, here is the fitted side clamped in position, quite a snug fit if I say so myself. next step the other side, then measure and cut the side shape, then cutout of the windows, Oh and somehow form a joint to join the front sides with the back sides.

IMG_9251.JPG

IMG_9252.JPG

IMG_9253.JPG

IMG_9254.JPG

IMG_9255.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

still a little fettling to do on the right hand side, just a pencil line thickness and it will be right, the cabin top line has been marked on the generous side (using a 2mm thick lath, and marking on the outside). this will be trimmed back when preparing the roof, as this too will be angled slightly.

next to trim the rear sections of the cabin sides, to fit, then scarf the two halves to each other.

IMG_9256.JPG

IMG_9257.JPG

IMG_9258.JPG

IMG_9259.JPG

• Like 5

scarf joints sanded at 10 degrees on each part, next to glue the joints, these will be glued in the correct position, after glueing the parts will be adjusted for thickness across the joints (as the wood is fractionally thicker one side of the joint on one of the sides).

IMG_9264.JPG

IMG_9265.JPG

IMG_9266.JPG

• Like 4

on the last picture we see a variance in height, I actually need a the full height here, so today, after cutting to the roof line, I have added a small piece here (using the scarf to bed the extra piece in), glued clamped and drying now.

• Like 2

so getting the correct angles on that front section, the base is angled, and curves to follow the deck. as this is now leaning back, the join line which is also angled is not a measurable angle. maybe I should have cut out the windows before I glued it, two swivel vices got the parts in the correct position to join them though. next will be working out the centre height, for the curve, then maybe I can work out the windows.

IMG_9284.JPG

IMG_9285.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grendel said:

so getting the correct angles on that front section, the base is angled, and curves to follow the deck. as this is now leaning back, the join line which is also angled is not a measurable angle. maybe I should have cut out the windows before I glued it, two swivel vices got the parts in the correct position to join them though. next will be working out the centre height, for the curve, then maybe I can work out the windows.

IMG_9284.JPG

IMG_9285.JPG

That's boat building as opposed to house building, even in models!

• Like 2

This really does bring back memories Grendel. It took us days to get these right, something a true craftsman would have ticked the box for in a couple of hours!

IMG_3175.thumb.JPG.42c39739b665335143a91896794177ef.JPG

You have truly captured the essence of the traditional boat builders with your project though.

Now dont forget the hoppers...

IMG_3280.thumb.JPG.913ac67560479c82ce087bc95171fe86.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

This really does bring back memories Grendel. It took us days to get these right, something a true craftsman would have ticked the box for in a couple of hours!

You have truly captured the essence of the traditional boat builders with your project though.

Piece of cake.   

5368CAB0-E9AB-44D6-8404-B0B7551CDC66.jpeg

• Like 1

well having received pictures of the new solar arrangement on BA, it was time to hunt out some flexible panels for the model, 

these are just under the size I need, but I would need 4 of the 114mm x 25 ones - but that comes out a bit big.

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1936.JPG

• Like 3

so it was time to work on the sides, adding the windows, these are tricky, to get them right. another big step, as if I mess up here, its start again time. so I bit the bullet and started, clamping the two sides together mean all the windows will match, then holes were drilled and joined up, cleaning to the lines still needs doing. while I was at it I cut the mitred joints between the cabin front and sides. the cockpit sides and windows are still to be cut out.

IMG_9288.JPG

IMG_9289.JPG

IMG_9290.JPG

IMG_9291.JPG

IMG_9292.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

today was sanding, the front and sides were taken through various grits to 1500 grit, these parts are going to be tricky to varnish once in position, so the first few layers will be applied before they go on the boat, leaving just a couple of final layers to be applied once in position. stage 1 of the griff method was used, this is more turps than varnish, but it shows the grain nicely, the inside edges will also be done tomorrow.

IMG_9294.JPG

IMG_9295.JPG

IMG_9296.JPG

IMG_9297.JPG

IMG_9298.JPG

IMG_9299.JPG

• Like 7

Looking spot on as per the norm.  Just add to the recent upgrades, we have now completed running the cables for 8 x LED deck lights (4 x each side) under the new Dek King.  Once I have fashioned and fitted the new cant rail between the deck and cabin sides, there will be 4 x LED deck lights fastened above the cant rail on Port and Stbd sides.

Griff

On 25/03/2018 at 21:44, JanetAnne said:

Trust me it takes a lot longer than a couple of hrs :default_biggrin:

so yoga to relax lunchtime, and the smell of turps in the workshop this evening, make for a good day, yes the previous coat of varnish has dried, been de-nibbed and the sides have now have had their second coat of varnish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1