Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

so with just 4 coats of varnish on the cabin front and sides its time to fit them to the model. 

First the cabin front is fitted, this is essential as both cabin sides need to mate to this correctly - the expanded glue will be cleaned up once it is properly set. next to clean any spills of varnish off of the gluing surfaces on the sides ready to glue and clamp these.

IMG_9305.JPG

• Like 3

Just an idea, Peter, have you thought of using masking tape, at least on the lower, front edge of the varnished cabin side? It ensures a neat edge to the glue and makes it easy to remove and prevents damage to the varnish. Not used it on models myself I do make boxes that require small divisions for fellow anglers and masking tape has made cleaning of edges an absolute doddle. 

a quick test tonight, I laser printed a section of planking, next was to try attaching it to a piece of ply just using varnish, this is generally unthinned, I might end up using thinned, but I wanted two things, 1 to see if it sticks, and 2. to see if the pattern runs. lets see what its like once it dries.

IMG_9309.JPG

• Like 4

I know, that area will have a piece of real teak over it just like the real thing, this is just a test, once I have cleaned up the glue from the sides, I will be able to measure the remaining width, adjust my CAD template and then get the plank spacing and layout correct.

• Like 2

well I have found you cannot use varnish as glue, so tomorrow will be printing some more and trying a couple more methods to stick the paper decking down.

last night the second side had the glue cleaned up, ready for finer cleaning.

IMG_9310.JPG

IMG_9311.JPG

IMG_9312.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A lack of updates doesnt mean that work has stopped, oh no.

I have been slowly and carefully planing the tops of the cabin sides down to the profile of the cabin roof, this is a particularly laborious task, to get the angles correct and the shapes smooth, so much so that I have only completed the forward port side, I am hoping to do the same for the starboard side over the bank holiday weekend

• Like 2

So as I have some new planes (boot fair purchase ) to clean up sharpen and adjust this morning before I start on the model, I have got some pictures, you may notice the previously varnished sides have been sanded back a fair amount and will be revarnished once I have printed and fitted the decks (I will be getting photographs over the next few weekends to make sure I have them 100% correct).

IMG_9730.JPG

IMG_9731.JPG

IMG_9732.JPG

IMG_9733.JPG

IMG_9734.JPG

IMG_9735.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have also spent some time today cleaning up the glue runs on the inside of the cabin sides. next to get the curved pieces for the roofs done, actually I will see as I have some of the curved pieces from model #1, or I could cut some deeper pieces from plywood, some thought to be done here.

• Like 2

Ok, I have the curved pieces that could have been used for the canopy of model#1, there are enough of these for the cabin roof. alternatively I could try bending some of the teak to make the roof supports, I have however used one piece to make the decorative wood piece for the front deck at the prow.

IMG_9736.JPG

IMG_9737.JPG

IMG_9738.JPG

IMG_9739.JPG

IMG_9740.JPG

IMG_9741.JPG

• Like 7

Ok decision made, I have cut a series of teak strips, about 5mm x 10mm, these now need to be steamed and bent to make up the roof supports. unfortunately as I have started getting together a box of essentials for the meet weekend, this box is sitting on the workbench I use for steaming. hmm. well I can have a look at redoing the anchor winch, I do have a design for this, but I am wondering if I can do better, playtime...

• Like 1

another change of plan, steaming the teak is going to be a couple of weeks of evenings, so - I have moved the box and the first piece is steaming as I type, in the meantime I will be considering the winch.

• Like 1