Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

well, it looks like I will have to remake those angles - oh no I hear you cry, your poor fingers - no thats not the reason, its just that they should be chequer plate stainless steel - and I have found I can get that from a model truck shop - real scale stainless chequer plate, well it just has to be.

scale chequerplate.JPG

• Like 1

like I say Griff, the devil is in the detail, get the detail right and it makes a world of difference, and in this case the detail needed to be chequer plate. it just didnt look right as plain stainless steel, this stuff is easier to bend than the stainless sheet I have so I may well be looking at getting some plain stainless in this thickness to make up other angle sections.

• Like 1

last night was prep work for the mahogany transom top rubbing strake, the piece of mahogany was selected, cut slightly overlong, sanded down to a tight fit, then with a pencil the inner and outer curves were marked from the transom. tonight these will be cut out on the band saw, and sanded to shape ready for installation. Then it will be on to the stainless steel parts (once my thinner sheet arrives today or tomorrow)

• Like 1

funnily enough I was doing some research while wondering why I needed special drill bits to even touch the stainless steel I have used in the model in the past, and it popped right out at me - stainless steel is much harder than high speed steel used for normal drill bits, hence the need for special carbide drill bits to drill the stuff, standard drill bits are at a rockwell hardness of 65, and stainless steel anything from 89 upwards, carbide, while brittle is a huge degree harder than this. no wonder it was taking many HSS drill bits to make a hole in my stainless steel sheet. I do however now possess a good supply of tiny carbide drill bits for the purpose. (even though they do break all too easily)

We’ve had the same issue in the past. Drilling the new mast bracket just recently was a breeze as we invested on some colbolt / carbide drill bits a while back, got a small collection of them now. I’ve even got a countersink version. We too find that they snap all too easily if one goes at it with too much pressure or any lateral force

Griff