Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

Today at lunch time I cleaned up the glue on the second transom, when I got home the fillets were added in the corners, then the first transom was cut to shape and sanded down, and looks very pretty.

on a sadder note our 23 year old cat seems to have taken a downward turn, he is still drinking, but ignored the tinned tuna he was offered, he is next to my work area lying on an old towel at the moment, barely moving, earlier I rescued him from the cat litter, he had got there then decided he didnt have the energy to move and he was there when I got home from work, he is not suffering, so if thats how he wants to leave us that will be his decision. I am sure he only has a few days left with us - but my daughter and I thought the same last weekend, and he is still here.

IMG_3666.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG

IMG_3668.JPG

IMG_3669.JPG

• Like 3

Well I was right, when I came down this morning Boo had passed on, so a morning spent sorting that out (our garden is too small to bury our pets), but this evening to fill the void left I let myself be busy, the second transom was finished and shaped up, and then the first was put into position, and the slots marked and cut for the stringers, its getting to the exciting stage now. next job, take it down, then mark out the frames for boat 2, then its time to put it back together and start fixing everything together

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3671.JPG

• Like 5

Well this morning the boot fair yielded a small handful of useful tools, plus an aqua vac for just £3 (to use as a shop vac to connect to tools to keep the dust down) it probably needs a new air filter.

The bulkheads have all been taken off and copied to a new sheet of ply to await cutting out when I start the second hull. I dont know if you can see the pencil marks on the plywood.

The other milestone is I have marked a bulkhead to sit behind the nosepiece, this has to sit at an angle, so a temporary support has been made (I glued it on after fixing masking tape to stop it sticking permanently) then I started out by fixing 2 stringers and the two rails where the cabin sides meet the deck - Gluing has started

IMG_3679.JPG

IMG_3680.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG

IMG_3682.JPG

IMG_3683.JPG

IMG_3684.JPG

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3677.JPG

IMG_3678.JPG

Later this morning I went out on a reconnaissance of another local boating lake - just about 6 miles from me, here I met some members of another local model boat club, who were a bit friendlier than the one about 12 miles off, its also a bigger boating lake, and is open to everyone.

a bit more progress, the front piece has been clamped in place, and the keel is now glued in place, this is really starting to come together, the rest of the stringers will need to be steamed to shape at the front, as the curves are just too tight otherwise, then will come making formers for the ribs, this will mean cutting out the other bulkheads, then marking a shape based on these, as long as its fairly close the ribs will be able to be sprung into position, thus using the bulkheads, but the ribs have to pass above the hog so the bulkheads will be used to make separate formers. 

I will make twice the number of ribs I need when shaping, for the second model.

I suspect the making of the ribs will keep me busy for a few months.

IMG_3686.JPG

• Like 3

took me ages to find enough, luckily those clamps were a good find at the boot fair this morning, they are just perfect.

one minor hazard I encountered was when I knocked a chisel off my bench, it dropped straight down, and hit me in the big toe - sharp edge first, kensington all over the place.

after my tea, I got one more stringer in place, one of the pre bent ones, I just tried one if the thinner stringers and it looks like I may be able to fit those without steaming. I also mixed up a little pva and sawdust, and filled that annoying knot hole in the keel. once set it will be sanded down.

IMG_3687.JPG

IMG_3688.JPG

IMG_3689.JPG

• Like 4

The rolling chisel problem Grendel I can sympathise with...well not so much me as Dylan and Toby can. The idiots have a habit of quietly sneaking into the shed and curling up by feet and going to sleep when I'm working. Several times now chisels have rolled off the bench and almost skewered a snoozing beagle. In the end I cut some circular bits of ply with the hole saw, drilled a hole in the middle of them so they slip onto the chisel handle and then sanded one edge flat so they don't roll. Now I suppose I could put a blade guard on them but I end up with more cuts on my fingers than Soft Mick when I did that.

The beagles are also responsible for extreme safety measures when I have Gorilla Glue about. It drives dogs frantic and they try to eat it. As it swells on contact with liquid it is lethal, so glue time is the only time I'm without my canine chumps...I mean chums.

I was reading what you said about the model boat clubs down there with some interest. I used to visit Broadstairs area quite regularly about fifteen years ago and once spotted some guys from a boat club who were decidedly unfriendly. Maybe the same blokes?

• Like 3

Tim, I think that for some clubs I am maybe a generation too young, even with the one at Herne Bay I wont be able to participate in the wednesday sailing for maybe another 10 years (when I retire). Though when I visited Sunday there was some evidence of younger members. I believe that we may be the last generation for some of these hobbies, as not many youngsters seem interested in anything but their phone screen nowadays.

• Like 2