Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

time to make some fairleads, this is 1/2" ling (12mm) from 3mm x3mm (1/8" square) brass rod, the slot drilled at 1.4mm, 1mm drill bit shown for comparison, photographed using a macro extender for the camera lens

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

• Like 2

well thats taken a bit of time, what with shopping for myself, shopping for my parents and shopping for my mother in law (her clutch has gone and is being fixed next week) I have been kind of busy this weekend, however I still had some time to do some fine work, making more fairleads. now when I was doing the first I used my special drill bits for the job, but these are very brittle and easily broken, so it was back to resorting to hss drill bits, still in the 0.8mm and 1.3mm range (thats 1/32" and just under 1/16") at least these will drill brass and take some sideways stress. with some extra filing and cleaning up.we now have 4 fairleads.

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

• Like 4

and then the stainless steel plates to be cut out and drilled, the important thing I have found is for the chuck to be perfect when holding the drill, if there is the slightest wobble, drilling stainless, the drill will break.

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

• Like 3

On 09/06/2019 at 17:53, grendel said:

. . . shopping for my mother in law (her clutch has gone and is being fixed next week)

Oh dear! Poor woman. There's nothing worse than a slipping clutch for the ladies (so I've heard)!

• Haha 1

This thread and of course the models was started before I became a forum member and somehow I didn't catch it!

Over the last 3 days I have read all 80 pages from beginning to end, like a book and I'm in total awe!!!!

Bravo Grendel, Bravo :default_icon_clap:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so while i may not have been posting regularly here, work has been ongoing, the stainless steel deck fittings have been completed, the mount for the battery has been positioned and fixed, and the electronic gear is being positioned ready for installation, just got to print the radio mount

IMG_8037.JPG

IMG_8038.JPG

IMG_8039.JPG

IMG_8040.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well two steps forward, one step back, all the wiring is in some still needs tidying up,  but when i was testing, i had no power to the motors, everything else worked fine, after some diagnostics i determined the speed controller was at fault, it was converting power for the receiver, but not supplying the motor. fortunately i had a spare to hand, so that was swapped in, and now everything is running, including the sound module. 

• Like 2