Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

so with an hour or so on my hands waiting until a reasonable hour for a routine appointment, i have bought the well deck area back in from its first coat of varnish, and am about to do some more filing on the stainless steel hatch surround.

This was cut out of 0.3mm stainless steel sheet with scissors, and the inner section removed using a diamond cutting disc in the dremel, more pics when i have completed the work.

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

work has been progressing and the toe rails are all complete now, the boat was turned around for the second side, on to the next task, for this one it is woodwork on a miniscule scale, window hoppers, one done bar the glazing. opposite side hopper just needs fitting.

IMG_2297.JPG

• Like 3

no pictures just yet, but the other rear windows have now recieved their hoppers and glass, work slowly progresses in the background, more often than I post updates, because one evening may just be 10 minutes cutting out the side frames for the next set of hoppers, and then followed a day later by the caps and spacers, a third day may be cutting the crystal cases to size and then fitting on a fourth day, then of course I dont always get anything done every day, so while progress is ongoing it isnt always at a point where photographs show a great deal happening

• Like 3

a quiet day today, so as i had a busy day yesterday i decided to potter on with the model, window hopper production line day, of course they are different sizes and even one frame is different one end to other, so a gauge was used to ensure the angle is the same.

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2544.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

• Like 5

the worst bit was that i made the edges of the roofs deeper than i needed to, so have had to notch out those sides for the window hoppers, getting it so the roof still fitted was fun (especially the front roof that slides forward into position), the front of the notches had to be angled to accept this, but all sorted now.

• Like 2

with a bit of time on my hands this morning its some more woodwork, using another piece of the burmese teak, i have created a pattern in thin ply, then transferred to teak for the folding parts of the cockpit sides, i have pieses of the teak cut into various sizes and thicknesses, for the hinged pieces the sides are a bit thin, so i will be backing the hinges fixing points to thicken up the wood i can fix the hinges to.

i have a selection of hinges, these are literally the smallest hinges you can buy, yet are still a bit big, but the smallest piano hinge available is huge in comparison (all shown in this picture).

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2557.JPG

• Like 3

one issue i do have was the front side screen windows, they sit on an angled base, but they slide forward just slightly, so a solution was needed, so a small part was created to give a section of a lip to stop the side screens slipping forward, nothing much was needed, just something to catch the bottom of the frame, so using a scrap of teak, i created a part to make that lip.

IMG_2558.JPG

• Like 3

so next on to cutting the recesses for the hinges, if you have ever struggled to cut an accurate pocket to fit a hinge on a door, well imagine trying to do this for hinges 1/12 the size, well thats what i did, the pins provided have heads that protrude way to much, so after fitting he heads were filed down so they no longer interfere with each other, to make a good fit.

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

• Like 2