• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

grendel

Broad Ambition - The Model

I don't say "Wow" very often either, though I do say it more than I say "Glockenspiel". On this occasion I feel "Glockenspiel" might be inappropriate (it usually is) so I shall join in with all those saying "Wow!"

• Haha 1

one last little update for now, i have now done the folding side at the rear of the cockpit, 

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2564.JPG

• Like 4

having fallen ill with the dreaded cold on thursday i have been staying in best i can so little bits are getting done, the other two side flaps have been hinged and i have started laying the floor joists in the cockpit area.

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

• Like 3

this of course sent me out to the workshop where 1/2" off the teak plank was converted to 5mm x 10mm joists on the band saw, then sanded up using the belt sander on the bench, i will need to true up the edge on the teak plank before cutting more thin strips from it, so when i get 10 minutes i will get the thicknesser out and true up the remaining piece (its still over 2" x 1" thick, so i am getting a lot of smaller timbers from this one plank. and i still have a bigger piece left to play with. as many of the trimming pieces as possible will be formed from these original planks of Broad Ambition teak (these planks were offcuts from the ongoing repairs at one of the annual maintenance weeks - the rest of the planks are in the bottom of Broad Ambition)

• Like 3

A little goes a long way but only if it's someone who can cut it with skill like yourself, a modelling ninja in my opinion 👍

• Like 1

I will admit that sometimes I do make mistakes, this weekends one was a basic rookie error when I thickened up the area to take the hinges, having glued in the pieces and fitted the hinges I suddenly descovered i had effectively prevented the rear cabin roof being removable, so the glued in parts had to be removed and larger parts glued in and the roof trimmed to fit around these new parts, ho hum, not a catastrophe but a lesson that even the best of us can make mistakes.

• Like 2

today it was more work on the inside of the cockpit, a wide thin piece of teak was chosen, and cardboard patterns were made up and the inner sides of the cockpit were cut out this piece was 3" wide by just a shade over 2mm thick, and has been cut to size ready for fitting.

a recess will be cut into the top and a handle will be fitted to the top of the window sash to allow the sash to be raised. 

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

• Like 3

Although I can't ever remember having a 6ft scalpel weighing in at around 25kg's on the Port deck !

Griff

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, grendel said:

a recess will be cut into the top and a handle will be fitted to the top of the window sash to allow the sash to be raised. 

Before I started following this build I'd have thought "no way" but as it's you Grendel I don't doubt it for a minute :default_beerchug:

• Thanks 1