Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

this of course sent me out to the workshop where 1/2" off the teak plank was converted to 5mm x 10mm joists on the band saw, then sanded up using the belt sander on the bench, i will need to true up the edge on the teak plank before cutting more thin strips from it, so when i get 10 minutes i will get the thicknesser out and true up the remaining piece (its still over 2" x 1" thick, so i am getting a lot of smaller timbers from this one plank. and i still have a bigger piece left to play with. as many of the trimming pieces as possible will be formed from these original planks of Broad Ambition teak (these planks were offcuts from the ongoing repairs at one of the annual maintenance weeks - the rest of the planks are in the bottom of Broad Ambition)

• Like 3

I will admit that sometimes I do make mistakes, this weekends one was a basic rookie error when I thickened up the area to take the hinges, having glued in the pieces and fitted the hinges I suddenly descovered i had effectively prevented the rear cabin roof being removable, so the glued in parts had to be removed and larger parts glued in and the roof trimmed to fit around these new parts, ho hum, not a catastrophe but a lesson that even the best of us can make mistakes.

• Like 2

today it was more work on the inside of the cockpit, a wide thin piece of teak was chosen, and cardboard patterns were made up and the inner sides of the cockpit were cut out this piece was 3" wide by just a shade over 2mm thick, and has been cut to size ready for fitting.

a recess will be cut into the top and a handle will be fitted to the top of the window sash to allow the sash to be raised. 

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grendel said:

a recess will be cut into the top and a handle will be fitted to the top of the window sash to allow the sash to be raised. 

Before I started following this build I'd have thought "no way" but as it's you Grendel I don't doubt it for a minute :default_beerchug:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

an interesting development on the 3d printing front has made me consider, I have recently got some flexible filament, and with this I could reprint the fenders to enable them to have some flex, this filament I found required one to purchase a complete new hot end for my printer (£92) and the filament is about £28 so not a cheap option, I am currently running some test print meccano tyres to see just how flexible it is at a 50% hexagonal infill the answer is not very (so perfect for tyres and items to simulate fenders, but I am trying a test run with a lower fill ratio ro see if that makes a better tyre / fender.

the purchase of a second spare hot end will also allow me to print in PLA so I can print more clear parts (light fittings etc)

the problem being that these hot ends are only good for a single filament type as the different melting points of the filaments would cause clogs in the nozzle if a cooler filament type is used and the nozzle is not scrupulously clean (a virtual impossibility)

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

• Like 3

well I just had to try, this meant refitting the flex hot end, and filament and a reasonably quick 20 minute test print with a 10% infill, this gives a suitably squishy fender, with probably the same give to finger pressure as a real fender has between the quay and the boat, so I have even more thinking to do now.

• Like 1

I have a da vinci printer the 1.0 Ai0, this has quick change hot ends, the main reason for changing out the hot end is that each filament type has a different melting temperature, i normally use abs, which has the hottest nozzle temperature, abs is fine as it will clear ant cooler melting filament from the nozzle, the other filaments with the lower temperature however cant clear abs out of the nozzle as it doesnt melt at the temperatures they work at, so unless you want to rigorous cleaning routine such as soaking the nozzle in acetone, which would mean removing the nozzle from the quick change hot end and soaking it, then ensuring it is reassembled at the correct height, then the better option is a nozzle dedicated to each filament type, it only takes about 30 seconds to swap out the nozzles.

Oh it looks like xyz have got you jumping through some hoops there. On a bowden printer (or even most modern direct drives) you may need to just change the extruder (or print a mod), that's only if it's not feeding correctly, the hot end element is fine as long as it's all set up correctly. 

If you have had your fun from that one you may want to have a look around for a newer machine, obviously the 3d printing world is moving very quickly and even the cheapest printer now does amazing prints (well kinda) and removes a lot of messing around.  i.e I rarely clean a nozzle but I don't really need to (hot pulling means they come out clean and its easier just to either bin the nozzle (or run cleaning filament through), although I find the ware out before I need to clean them!  New opensource printers are also highly customisable, you really can run different filamants through without any probs, I can switch from wood, to carbon to alloy even on the same print with no probs, opensource slicers also do funky stuff to make it easy.

For your model making too you may want to try and look at resin printers, as you have such an amazing eye for detail! you may find these a good investment as the detail is way beyond a fdm printer.  Prices at £200 quid now really can't go wrong. 

Also please just be very very careful with printing in ABS, despite what XYZ may say it's pretty lethal stuff, you really only want to be printing these really outside.  I refuse to print with it certainly considering when there's no need with good pla's and pet(g)'s.

Sorry for changing subject.. Love watching this post, you really do have such an eye for detail and a skill for model making.

• Like 2

I have considered a resin printer for smaller detail stuff, so maybe when this years bonus comes through.

the xyz printer was (when i bought it) one of the few really plug and  play printers, all the settings controlled by the chip in the cartridge, (the newer pro ones can also work with other filament) but that was a limitation i accepted having seen others trials just getting the settings right to get the first print, mine was up and running as soon as i got it. since my skills are in cad, the design was for me the easy bit. i accepted these limitations when i chose it, and still have no regrets, so obviously for me that was the way to go.

I am careful with the abs, its used well ventilated and the cabinet is a closed cabinet, i might get round to adding a vent directly outdoors from the cabinet sometime.

• Like 2

so today has been working on the dashboard layout, as you may remember from model 1 i have some miniature switches that look similar to the ones on the real boat, so the dash panel has been cut out for these, now comes the problem, this panel is thicker, so i need to cut recesses to allow the chips to sit deeper into the panel, so they are flush on the outside.

IMG_2578.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2580.JPG

IMG_2581.JPG

• Like 2

oops broke it fitting the switches, split the wood out, so it is being remade with the grain running horizontal rather than vertical, i am just at the filing of the slots stage once more. one has these minor setbacks during a build, so I am not upset.

• Like 1