Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

'That Seat' the story is that I found it outside the back door of a mates place with another identical one ready to go on his November bonfire.  It was grey and green bare timber.  He donated it to the cause.

I scrubbed it down with warm water, Flash n a green nylon pad. Allowed to thoroughly dry.  Then sanded it with one of those sponge pad things that has a flexible cutting medium stuck to the foam (There will no doubt be a proper name for them)  Made a base from 18mm Ply, screwed through the bottom of the base into the feet of the stool.  Fitted s/steel rubbing pads to the corners of the base.   Made the seat back support taller.  Varnished the lot - many times - Well six actually.  Then had it upholstered

When the original owner of the stool saw it completed he couldn't believe it!

My only regret is that I didn't save the other stool from the bonfire and do another one - Someone would have appreciated it

Now of course you expect more photo's don't you?

Griff

BA NBN 678.JPG

BA NBN 679.JPG

BA NBN 680.jpg

BA NBN 681.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

so not to be deterred, i have made some solid blocks for the helm seat to sit on. IMG_2652.JPG

next was the tricky job or creating the spindle legsIMG_2654.JPG

These are being turned into some 4mm dowel i have using some tiny gravers (usually used to chase out detail in soft metal for jewelry, but the tips are perfect representations of 1/12 scale turning chisels) pencil shown to emphasise the small size. i have done my best ere to match the legs on the real thing, next to produce 3 more exact copies.

IMG_2653.JPG

• Like 5

so the first 4 legs are done, a second set will be made and the 4 best matches will be used to create one helm chair, then the others will form the second for my model. also here i show the tools i am using to do this wood turning.

once again i am using one of the almost toy lathes i got years back at a boot sale, this isnt a precision instrument, but for these little jobs it is perfect for small work in soft materials like wood.

IMG_2655.JPG

IMG_2656.JPG

IMG_2657.JPG

IMG_2658.JPG

• Like 4

I had thought i might have to stop 4 stringers short of the pair of chairs, but no, i was doing some tidying and found 10 more lengths of 4mm dowel, and i can see enough straight bits to turn up the remaining stringers, next to drill holes in the legs to attach those stringers.

• Like 1

seat backs cut out, this is quite a tiht radius for the blade i have in the bandsaw, so i cut a few spares while i was at it, the it was time to cut out the seat part, this was done at 5mm thick across the end grain, then sanded on the little disc sander, next job drill holes and assembly.

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2664.JPG

• Like 4