Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

2 minutes ago, Upcycler said:

The modelling craftmanship looks great, but the figurine looks like something you would hide behind the sofa when it would appear on Dr Who.

unfortunately its a good likeness of the real Griff, and there is no sofa to hide behind aboard Broad Ambition

• Haha 5

this morning it was back onto seat construction, the holes are drilled in the seat and base for the legs, dry assembled to align everything, then a level was marked for the front stretchers, dropped slightly and then the side stretchers, then it was assembly, one stretcher at a time allowing the glue to dry between work. once all the stretchers had been glued, the seat was glued in place, then the base, and finally the back was fitted, this is a thinner back, so there wasnt a lot of spare wood around the 2.5mm holes, I am a lot happier about this chair, here are the two to compare, then in place in the model, being modelled by rogue (one of a batch of 1/12 scale x men figures i picked up at the boot fair to be repainted for use on the model). finally a shot of my work area, just so you can see where i perform these miniature feats.

IMG_2677.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

IMG_2680.JPG

IMG_2681.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

IMG_2684.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2687.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2695.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_2697.JPG

IMG_2698.JPG

• Like 6

I am glad you can see the difference, i was worried that i was being finnicky when i decided to be more careful over the second one and fix what i saw as the errors in the first, i knew i could do better, thats what bugged me. plus i could see the seat back was too chunky so i slimmed down the width and thickness of the back, as well as slimming the size of the seat. i can be happy with not perfect, but not if i havent done my best when i know i can do better.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, grendel said:

I am glad you can see the difference, i was worried that i was being finnicky when i decided to be more careful over the second one and fix what i saw as the errors in the first, i knew i could do better, thats what bugged me. plus i could see the seat back was too chunky so i slimmed down the width and thickness of the back, as well as slimming the size of the seat. i can be happy with not perfect, but not if i havent done my best when i know i can do better.

It's the side by side comparison really, standing alone I thought the first was remarkable and indeed it still is by any standard but with the second one you've taken the standard to a whole other level!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ok i decided that there is no way that i am going to cover any of the helms chair up with upholstery, there is too much chance of ruining it, so, i decided that the seat needs to be shaped for the users posterior, out with the miniature flap wheel and two shallow grooves were made in the seat, then the beech dowels needed darkening up.

So out with the teak stain, and onto the beech doweling, i am happy as this instantly improves the visual appearance of the seat.

IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2700.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1