Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

I thought i ought to make up the bracket that holds the horns, so i bent a piece of brass up, and filed out for the necks of the air horns, these were then positioned and fluxed up, heated with a blow lamp and soldered in place, seen here on the forward cabin roof.

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2718.JPG

• Like 4

beautiful they may be, but i realised i had made a mistake, it was when Charlie posted an inage of his pennant, with the port and starboard horns in the picture, i realised my error - my horns were too short. as you know, when i am not happy, i go back and do it again, so now here is the first of the new longer pair, i had made some purchases, done some changes, the old unimat motor was replaced with a 120W 24V scooter motor, this can run off my 0-30V power supply, and although slower the motor has way more torque (i cant stall it, and it runs way cooler, so motor fitted, and time to do some work, some new collets had arrived so it was time to thin one end of my 1/4" brass to fit a 4.8mm collet. the brass was then mounted into the collet and using my reading glasses and illuminated magnifier, the internal shape was turned, then it was making out where everything needed to be and get down to work removing lots of brass to form the longer trumpet part, this achieved and smoothed out with finer grades of sandpaper, and we had the first air horn and a big pile of brass dust from turning. bear in mind this  is about 24mm long and 6 diameter max

IMG_2735.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, grendel said:

Ian, just you wait until the model sneaks up on you when you are out on the river then gives you a blast on its horns (note to self, make sure QE2 foghorn sound effect s loaded on sound card).

Additional sound effects could include a 'raspberry' and maybe a suitable sound to reflect her 'fart-boat' heritage.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

not having anything better to do and needing to stay within a quick run of the WC, i decided to do a small part for the model so out with a short length of 1/2" brass and into the lathe. first all my tools needed sharpening, so once this was done it was time to forget my woes and do something. a couple of hours work later and the ships bell was done

IMG_2765.JPG

IMG_2766.JPG

• Like 6