Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

• 2 weeks later...

so i havent updated recently, but while i have been working i have been running the 3d printer making parts. on the third attempt i used the correct file for my helmsman, the one that didnt have funky holes appearing and additional unwanted inclusions, so this has been printed cleaned up and primed ready for painting, I also ran some prints using my transparent material, this took several attempts to get right, mainly i think due to an issue with the filament smoothly unreeling, if it jams it gets to a point where it is fighting the movement of the print head, if it jams hard enough the print head loses its registration and starts printing the part in the wrong place. so while the hatches came out fine, the light fittings took 2 attempts to get right and the spotlight tops 3 attempts, this doesnt include the two attempts that were cancelled when the machine messed up enough to break a part off the print bed and leave me with an almighty goop of plastic stuck to the print head - this is why i like to be there while it is running, particularly when running a material i dont often use.

picture 3 shows some of the failed spotlight tops, they worked fine up to a certain height, then just all mushed up

IMG_2778.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

IMG_2780.JPG

IMG_2781.JPG

IMG_2782.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

• Like 6

ok so you know that we are having working lights, so here i have found some 4mm aluminium tube to join the spotlight parts, next we have one of the led's on a small battery as a test light, this was just slid up the aluminium tube (3mm inside hole) to the end, and as you can see it produces a well illuminated spotlight, this is before i notch the end of the tubing, and before the solid part of the lamp is blacked out and painted leaving just the lens transparent this led lamp is 1.2mm x 0.8mm, the wires are like hairs

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2784.JPG

• Like 5

ok so here is a little insight into the processes involved with making a part, in this case the spotlight. there is no commentary, but i go through the steps, the dark paint is just to block light coming out of places it should not, it will be painted white as per the original, but we just want the light shining forward, this is why the aluminium tube has a notch filed out at one side - to allow the light to shine forward. apologies for the video quality and getting my hands in the way at times.

• Like 4

The next stage is to take some 3mm od brass tubing that will slide up inside the 4mm and fix the LED to the top end, the top end will be bevelled at 45 degrees and the LED mounted at the back near the top (and yes the led will slide up inside the 2mm ID of the brass tube).

• Like 3

Ok so i was planning on using a 3mm brass tube to hold the LED, and i even made one, but the led still slid down the middle of the tube, so instead i had a play and instead decided to use a 3mm solid brass rod, to achieve this i needed space for the wires, granted they are so thin i didnt need much space so i filed a flat on one side for the cables, this allows me to fit the led up inside the spotlight, while not allowing it to pull back out, yet remain removable.

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG

IMG_2793.JPG

• Like 3

Guest GreenJack

Hello Grendel 

I have to say that your fantastic hard work is well beyond my knowledge and capabilities but wow, what an absolutely brilliant work of art you are creating 

Excellent stuff, well done

Erm, there ain't that much grey but it is there, what is there right now is too much of it.  Haircut desperately needed.  Barbers right now are out of the question so it'll be out with the buzzer, a number four should suffice. 

'My' manikin looks to be too wide at the hips I'm thinking but he is also an exceedingly good looking fellow of course :default_rolleyes:

Grandad - Happily correct x 3 but sadly not allowed to go and see number three for the foreseeable

Griff

• Like 1

I usually go for a number 3 all over (hair and beard) and i guess its been over 10 years now since i last visited a barbers, 

As for the figure, i had to go with what the software allowed, most of the time was spent getting the physog looking vaguely correct, i have added some white to the hair, next job to add some blending and highlight facial features, add the eyes etc

• Like 2

Guest Jayfire
11 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Wise choice sir. A number two all over just isn't nice.

I always have a number one all over.

I do it for myself too  :default_smiley-angelic002: