Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

ok lets get on with painting tiny details, to make any figure realistic there is a minimum level of detail that works, part of this of course is the question of putting the eyes in, this is a trick i learned painting 25mm figures, so with the very tip of a small brush, you just dot the whites of the eyes in, on 25mm figures this would be a 0000 brush (about 10 hairs) then once we have the whites of the eyes we need a pupil, on a 25mm figure i would pluck a single hair for this and just barely dip it in the paint, for this figure its a bit bigger, so i chose a bamboo skewer for this job, just barely dipped into the brown paint, and bingo, you do have to get these positioned right, theres nothing worse than giving the figure a squint

IMG_2799.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG

IMG_2801.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

well today saw a nice day outside, one of the first essentials of painting, so model #2 was moved to the new workshop area, masking up and removing things that did not require paint was the order of the day, 

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

Once everything was masked up the first light coat of white was applied,

IMG_2868.JPG this will show up any imperfections in the resin and fibreglass coat that went on before. then it was the turn of the cabin roofs, everything had to be either removed or masked up, fortunately the hinged windscreen parts come off easily by removing the hinge pin.

IMG_2869.JPG

Handrails were removed and labelled so they can o back in the same way they came out.

IMG_2870.JPG

roof parts recieved a first coat of filling primer, they will later get another and when thoroughly dry a sanding.

IMG_2871.JPG

IMG_2872.JPG

The hull has then had a second thin coat of white, i can already see there are some areas that will need attention.

IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2874.JPG

• Like 7

So as i was asking whether to attach the rubbing stakes before or after painting and was advised that after would be best, i needed to convert some timber to enable them to be cut, so my big block of teak was brought out and some 5mm thick  planks were cut out of the large piece, and last night run through the thicknesser to plane the surfaces, so today I thought i would show you how larger pieces of timber are made down to the sizes needed for the model.

• Like 3

So Having cut out the rubbing strakes two have now been sanded down and the outer edges rounded off slightly, meanwhile the cabin roofs have received a first coat of white and the hull has been given a preliminary rubbing down. 

• Like 3

a slight problem has been observed this morning, between getting up and yoga i flashed a new coat of paint over the areas that had been sanded back, and while the original coat went on perfectly, this time a few areas have reacted and crinkled, so i am now looking at whether sanding back the crinkle and overspraying is the answer or whether i will need to take it right back to the resin coat, i have an inkling that the paint is reacting to the freshly exposed by sanding resin surface, lets see if we can pull this back, now to do my sunday tasks before going back to model work

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

looking at the crackle, i have sanded it back and over coated it with another couple of light dustings of paint, hmm the problem is still there, i will give it overnight to dry off properly then try once again to flat it back and build a decent coating of paint to seal over the problem areas. worst case will be hitting it with acetone to remove the paint thats on there and start again.

• Like 3

I had the same problem with the model I am building now.

I was very happy with the finish then decided to put  3rd coat on, oops!

I had to rub the hull down (not easy on a 1 metre long hull).

Did this twice until I realised the 3rd layer of acrylic was the problem then went back to old fashioned oil based paint, no problem at all just had to wait longer for each coat to dry.

paul

• Thanks 1

well 12 hours to cure anyway, slow start today, checked out the cracle spots on the hull, repeated coats of the resin based paint is slowly filling the crackle areas, i think ts going to be a case of build up a reasonable thickness , allow it to cure properly then sand back and recoat.

in the mean time, i have been cleaning up the paint that got past the masking on the rear cabin roof, and refitting the roof fittings, the mast and handrails. now i know that the cover strips that cross the roof are actually varnished timber, but at present they can stay white, if i decide to make them varnished timber it will be just a few seconds work to sand the paint off and varnish them.

IMG_2882.JPG

IMG_2880.JPG

• Like 2

That must be the first time I have witnessed you not following the full size version to the letter.  If you do decide to varnish them as per the one currently abandoned in the Wetshed, it would be easier to do before you fit the handrails - Hint ! :default_rolleyes:  They do look proper good all the same :default_icon_bowdown:

Griff

• Like 2

Charlie, in all probability i will varnish them, and the handrails are pretty easy to remove, they will probably come off for the wooden rails to be varnished and trimmed to length anyway. but really the paint should have a real chance to cure off hard before it is sanded off anyway, otherwise its just going to be a problem. (it was easier to paint and sand off than it would have been to try and mask it off anyway).

• Like 2