Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

ok finally got the video i took uploaded, so this afternoon i had an idea and went and got some brass stock just over 30mm diameter, this needed to be sized down to about 20mm. 

I decided for your edification i would video it all (well most of it)

some sound may be removed as youtube decided there might be a copyright claim (i had the radio on gold in the background.)

• Thanks 1

there were a couple of more videos but i see they are out of focus, so they are on my video channel, but i wont bother putting them here, they were an attempt to show a closer view

anyway, i guess you want to know what i was making, here is the finished articles (well not quite finished as i need to add a ring at the top of one part. (the picture it is sitting on is the clue to the part.)

IMG_2884.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Ah, I see, I was wondering what it was going to be used for.  Well done once again

Griff

I believe they are used to hold a boat in the same position without the need for a riverbank Griff :facepalm:

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

I believe they are used to hold a boat in the same position without the need for a riverbank Griff 

Really?!  I thought when you throw it overboard, it was for making your boat lighter so it drifts quicker back into the main shipping lane at Oulton Broad....

• Haha 3

so details are important, the mudweight locating plate has 6 equi spaced screw holes, so these need to be represented, into my indexing fixture, this one is only accurate to about a degree, but plenty accurate enough for this, 6 holes at 60 degree spacing, unfortunately the drill bit i want to use is too small to fit in the drill chuck, so a centre point drill is used, this is just to place the hole centres, if i need to drill through i can use these to start the drill bit in a smaller drill.

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Attention to details to the nth degree once more.  How you gonna make em look like polished s/steel?  You're not seriously sending them off to be chromed are you?

Griff

Of course not.... he'll invent a way to chrome them himself! ☺

• Like 1

adding the handle to the top of the mudweight.

first we need a loop of brass wire, this measured out at 1.2mm diameter, so the wire was bent around a 3mm rod. i then drilled two holes the correct spacing apart for the wire, these were at 1.4mm dia for the first 6mm, then 1.2mm for another 4mm depth (i had to first find the correct number drill for this - number 56). holes drilled the loop was cut off the wire and test fitted. i was then proceeding to try and solder it in place, and it was only a few minutes into heating i realised i had forgotten to put flux on the part, this cleans the part and allows solder to flow properly, so i stopped and added flux, after this the brass body had to be warmed enough to get the solder to flow into the holes. once i saw the solder flow into the holes (i could see the air bubbling out) then it was time to remove the heat and allow the part to cool. once cool the process of cleaning up the excess solder and flux was done.

• Like 2

so back to the surround, and i hear you ask, how do you drill a small hole through that - well generally if you do it in a drill, the slightest shake of the hand will break the drill bit, so you do it manually in a little archimedes drill with a pin vice end, here we are drilling a 0.7mm hole through the centres of those dimples we added this morning, you will notice at times the drill bit bends alarmingly with the downward pressure of 1 finger on the top, but crucially it doesnt break as you are only turning it slowly, yes a 0.7mm drill is about the thickness of a standard household pin. worryingly i have taps and screws in these sort of sizes, though my preference isnt to drop below a 2mm screw, now just 3 more holes to drill.

• Like 2

Ok, here are some macro images to show what we have been up to, i use 0.8mm stainless steel pin blanks to represent screws on the model (these are a tight fit through a 0.7mm drilled hole) since the blanks are obtained without points and pre hardening they bend quite easily, so where possible they are put right through and the ends bent over to form a secure fastening, here is a pin compared to the 1.2mm rod i used for the handle of the mudweight.

IMG_2887.JPG

IMG_2888.JPG

IMG_2889.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wombat nee blownup said:

Personally I’d have put the whole Archimedes drill in the chuck of my cordless and be sitting with a tinny now.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

While waiting for your replacement bit to be delivered? :default_biggrin:

I'd probably still be trying to get the  point of the drill out of the work if i tried that. replacements arent a problem as i have about a hundred in those small sizes, they break so easily you get through them pretty quick, especially when using powered drills, they were originally bought when i was trying to drill thin stainless sheet, 10 bits per hole was about average until i found the carbide pcb drills, they get through the stainless but are brittle as anything so break when you break through to the other side.