Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

so with the lettering on hold awaiting some purchases (strength 6 double sided tape, scissors and some slightly thicker foil) it was on to the next item, a pulley, the mud weight pulley forward, so pulley turned from some scrap brass, it was on to the bracket, this is currently being fashioned from 0.2mm stainless this is about as thick as i can bend into a 3mm wide channel neatly to hold the pulley, next job to shape it into a bracket to hold the pulley, how to hold such a small part to shape it is the issue.

Pencil next to the pulley for scale, it will need a 2.5mm bolt as a pivot, if i cant manage in stainless i might have to do it from brass, as i can carve the whole thing out of a bigger lump of brass.

IMG_3011.JPG

IMG_3012.JPG

• Like 3

So i went with the brass in the end, i dont have a milling machine, but i have a 3mm milling cutter, so the milling cutter went in the lathe chuck and i mounted the workpiece in the tool holder, adjusting the height to suit. then i used the normal lathe controls to advance the work into the cutter, cutting a deep slot through the workpiece, then where the pulley would be i made the slot extend right through, then it was time to file the pulley holder into shape, add the pulley with a 2.5mm bolt and the part was done, it just requires some mounting holes to fit to the bow of he boat.

IMG_3013.JPG

IMG_3014.JPG

IMG_3015a.jpg

IMG_3016.JPG

IMG_3017.JPG

• Like 3

Hi wombat, go back to your dentist and ask him how long you can take ibuprofen before it effects your kidneys. ???? It's not a pain killer you can continue to take without some form of negative response. 

Colin :default_beerchug:

Time to look for another dentist.

Sorry Peter I should have pm Wombat about this.

Like the stem head roller, looks brilliant but what about a nice brass bolt rather than the s/s one or am I jumping the gun. :default_biggrin:

Colin :default_beerchug:

now why did i not think of that i have a large case of brass BA sized bolts and nuts (see what i did there BA bolts for BA model)

there we go i have swapped out for a 6BA brass bolt, there happy now, i only seem to have large brass nuts in 6BA, but i tapped the bracket holes to 6BA too.

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

• Like 4

Well the slightly thicker stainless sheet arrived (from China) but i am still awaiting the double sided tape posted second class from London, i have been furtling on the model, finessing the fit of one of the windows and i judged the paint on the roof dry enough to scrape the battens, that worked nicely and i have the rear roof done now

IMG_3032.JPG

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I have just looked it up, for what it's worth. I had a feeling it had something to do with yachts.

A coach roof is over a part of the cabin that is above deck level.

A coach house roof is usually the structure over a companionway, which protects it from the weather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1