Thurne Lion

Mowjo

On 3/10/2017 at 7:12 PM, YnysMon said:

I'm so hoping that you make it for May Rick!  We're on the Broads that week!!  We love The White Horse and are over the moon at your news about The Lion.  If you don't manage to open in May we won't be too disappointed as we'll be back again in July and will be making a bee-line for The Lion if your contact goes through.  Here's hoping!

Helen

aim is first may bank holiday but depends on when new windows can be installed and if the toilets are up and running by then...may be a bit rough around the edges but we will try

• Like 2

On 3/11/2017 at 6:15 PM, TheQ said:

So Horning sailing club :Sailingwill have to go thirsty / hungry on 21st Apr, but hopefully you'll be be open for their next down river race to Thurne on 21st May.:clap.

i enjoy the civilised down river races to Thurne,  having a quick lunch and race back.

I look forward to trying your beer and food.

i am afraid that would be probably too optimistic but hoping to have a beer festival around the whitsun week to mirror what we do at the white horse so that may sort you out

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Jbx5 said:

Good news we need another decent pub in the area.

will our favourite white horse burger morph into a lion burger though ha ha

Hope all goes well Rick, will call in as soon as you open

regards John

i think it may well morph into something along those lines, initial menu will be a bit limited but need to bed in and then expand it. plan is to include a pizza oven to help deal with volume and then a focus on seafood long term

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

I have never had the pleasure of meeting Rick but having read all the comments in this thread can I make a suggestion ?

Rick, taking in to account your expertise and popularity can I suggest that you keep your ear to the ground with regards to the Ferry Inn at Horning......

There is a challenge for you to turn a well positioned pub with less than average following into a well positioned brilliant pub.

Jeff 

thank you for the kind words but somewhere like the ferry doesn't appeal to me in the slightest i am afraid. The pubco element would stop anything interesting drink wise being available and puts too much emphasis on cutting corners on food to get margins.

the other point is the sheer size of a place like that, the offer we do here is quite niche and not to everyones taste (stella/guinness drinkers et al) and i feel although we do well that the broads has a market for a carvery and basic drink offer place like that due to the volumes of business it receives. we would really struggle to scale up our food to that quantity without microwaving items.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, RickWhiteHorse said:

thank you for the kind words but somewhere like the ferry doesn't appeal to me in the slightest i am afraid. The pubco element would stop anything interesting drink wise being available and puts too much emphasis on cutting corners on food to get margins.

the other point is the sheer size of a place like that, the offer we do here is quite niche and not to everyones taste (stella/guinness drinkers et al) and i feel although we do well that the broads has a market for a carvery and basic drink offer place like that due to the volumes of business it receives. we would really struggle to scale up our food to that quantity without microwaving items.

Shock & horror, no Guinness to wash down the sea-food with then? The lack of continental fizz-pop I can only applaud though! 

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

Shock & horror, no Guinness to wash down the sea-food with then? The lack of continental fizz-pop I can only applaud though! 

haha, guinness is technically not british. we also don't do alcopos, fruit shoots, smooth flow ale, gordons, bombay sapphire etc etc

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RickWhiteHorse said:

aim is first may bank holiday but depends on when new windows can be installed and if the toilets are up and running by then...may be a bit rough around the edges but we will try

:clap Could not be any more rough and ready than it has been in the last few years!  Best wishes and good luck.  cheers

Rick certainly runs a great pub but the lion always accepted allcomers without booking. I know it's not easy for the pub but  with the best will in the world at tmes you find yourself  moored in an unexpected spot (probably more so now the BA has given up sites) the Lion always took allcomers but the white horse doesn't. We need to at times be spontaneous how will it be at the new look lion? Great that it's still to be a pub and I'm sure I'll cope as I think Rick is a gem.

Just now, dredger said:

Rick certainly runs a great pub but the lion always accepted allcomers without booking. I know it's not easy for the pub but  with the best will in the world at tmes you find yourself  moored in an unexpected spot (probably more so now the BA has given up sites) the Lion always took allcomers but the white horse doesn't. We need to at times be spontaneous how will it be at the new look lion? Great that it's still to be a pub and I'm sure I'll cope as I think Rick is a gem.

it is certainly going to be a challenge to figure out what works, the amount of freezers there and microwaves suggests they could take all but we cant here as much as i would love to. we always get an argument of people being turned away when busy here but kitchen capacity and type of cooking limits what we can get out without compromising standards.

I am hoping a simple menu and the pizza oven will help increase capacity at the lion along with food all day from 9am. booking would still have to be recommended otherwise waiting time could be huge or unfair on people with children whom need to have them fed by a certain time. we will always strive to feed everyone but obviously at full up circumstances we may have a limited offering for them.

• Like 4

Hi Rick I like the idea of a pizza oven,As a chef myself they are also good for other things to.For sure  at first it may be a little up hill, but as you can guess many people here will visit.Lots of comment on Facebook also.Can I suggest one little thing on behalf of my wife Marina.Please if poss put sorbet on the menu.

Best of luck Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickWhiteHorse said:

i am afraid that would be probably too optimistic but hoping to have a beer festival around the whitsun week to mirror what we do at the white horse so that may sort you out

That would tie in TMOR just like the Beer Festival at the White Horse ties in with Barton Regatta!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, w-album said:

That would tie in TMOR just like the Beer Festival at the White Horse ties in with Barton Regatta!

we aim to please, it is also around my birthday so bit manic!

19 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Hi Rick I like the idea of a pizza oven,As a chef myself they are also good for other things to.For sure  at first it may be a little up hill, but as you can guess many people here will visit.Lots of comment on Facebook also.Can I suggest one little thing on behalf of my wife Marina.Please if poss put sorbet on the menu.

Best of luck Ian

more thank likely have one one as its a great gluten free option, we did a gin and tonic one earlier this year...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RickWhiteHorse said:

I am hoping a simple menu and the pizza oven

That sounds brilliant.. tasty.. local.. fresh.. The dukes head at somerleyton have it bang on if you ask me.. if we can have something like that but a mixture of the quirkyness of the your white horse would do really well there!..

... Can you fix the wind on the moorings too please? a huge plastic windbreak will do it ;)

Good luck!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RickWhiteHorse said:

haha, guinness is technically not british. we also don't do alcopos, fruit shoots, smooth flow ale, gordons, bombay sapphire etc etc

Sounds just like my local, which has no 'big brands' and has it's own Brewery too (Bedlam Brewery) perfect, can't wait for a visit!

I love the Idea of cider Brewingcheersbar ( I do a little myself)cheersbar. I see you are planning an alternative to seafood, which is just as well, I hate the seafood !!!

The later down river races from Horning are listed as 16th Jul, 20th Aug, 8th Oct, But are not specifically listed as Thurne, they may go to Acle, I'm not sure on that at the moment.

Guiness is owned by Diagio, who are a British Multinational alcohol supplier, the Guiness family own much less than 10% of Guiness, though they retain control of the Brewery property in Dublin.  The Guiness family are Anglo-Irish, having lived both in Ireland and in the UK for several generations.

• Like 2

I would add,

My Dad Knew the then Lord Moyne (late 40s early 50s)  and family as they had / have a property Very near the village we lived in, in Wiltshire.

Lords Moyne are one of the titles owned By the Guiness family, another is  Earl of Iveagh who own the Elvedon estate. in Suffolk

2 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

The Lion was always a great pub for live music which has seen a demise recently on the Broads. 

Might you be booking some of the local bands, Rick? 

BTW, great news that the pub is continuing. 

have been thinking alot about it when considering layout of pub inside, the old method of having a band in the window of main bar was just not viable going forward, too loud for staff to hear and just not enough room without removing all furniture. obviously solution would be to put a band in the restaurant  but then you lose 100 seats for diners and as mentioned you need them in the summer. happy to hear any thoughts from you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JawsOrca said:

That sounds brilliant.. tasty.. local.. fresh.. The dukes head at somerleyton have it bang on if you ask me.. if we can have something like that but a mixture of the quirkyness of the your white horse would do really well there!..

... Can you fix the wind on the moorings too please? a huge plastic windbreak will do it ;)

Good luck!

will check out that pub then to see what it is like...

would love to fix that wind, nearly froze to death out there the other day when inspecting the moorings

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I love the Idea of cider Brewingcheersbar ( I do a little myself)cheersbar. I see you are planning an alternative to seafood, which is just as well, I hate the seafood !!!

The later down river races from Horning are listed as 16th Jul, 20th Aug, 8th Oct, But are not specifically listed as Thurne, they may go to Acle, I'm not sure on that at the moment.

Guiness is owned by Diagio, who are a British Multinational alcohol supplier, the Guiness family own much less than 10% of Guiness, though they retain control of the Brewery property in Dublin.  The Guiness family are Anglo-Irish, having lived both in Ireland and in the UK for several generations.

haha, we could discuss guinness for many moons (like i do here sometimes) the epitome of big branded, overpriced marketing execs and it goes against everything i try to do. (i do like it as a beer but also like many other stouts more so.)

cider will be a nice long term addition to our set up, we have tried a dry hopped cider last year and that was really interesting so hope to have another go.

• Like 1

Oi.... we need the wind, when we come a visiting, in our sailing boats:Sailing :love. But you could add a few heaters.....:love

Yes, sadly the multinational Big business approach is a problem, I work for one (not brewing).

Never tried Hops in cyder, but we have them growing wild in our hedge row (probably from when the site was a pub pre 1895) You're giving me Ideas for next years crop of apples.....

• Like 1

Just now, riyadhcrew said:

Hi Rick,

Speak to the bands that you would probably hire. I'm sure they would come up with some workable suggestions.

i will ask about but they bands i have seen listed there previously and knowing rough prices it may be unviable in peak season and workable at tail end of season or as a winter draw?

issues with bands is as follows;

say a band is 150 for a 3 piece (50quid each about right) to pay for that 150 we would need to sell about 85 pints at 3.50 with a net profit of 1.75 just to break even not counting any extra staff needed to serve those beers. looking at the pics of thurne lion the main bar only could ever get 20-30 in.

other concerns are volume in main bar being too loud so staff struggle to here, where to put a quieter area for people who didnt want to listen to a band and would it put off diners?

certainly looking into it and want to put some on but need to find a solution that to appease all 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Oi.... we need the wind, when we come a visiting, in our sailing boats:Sailing :love. But you could add a few heaters.....:love

Yes, sadly the multinational Big business approach is a problem, I work for one (not brewing).

Never tried Hops in cyder, but we have them growing wild in our hedge row (probably from when the site was a pub pre 1895) You're giving me Ideas for next years crop of apples.....

i think brothers do a bottled 'hopped cider' but would stay clear as it is an artificial hop extract. we tried a mosaic and citra batch and the mosaic one was lovely (dry hopped for 4/5 days then matured for 6 weeks) 

you will have to bring me some hops for a one off beer!