Thurne Lion

Mowjo

2 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Hi Rick,

I put together a monthly listing of live music across the Broads throughout the summer months. 

https://www.norfolkbroadsboathire.biz/Norfolk_Broads_live_music_guide.asp

I am therefore in regular touch with the venues and I see that the New Inn, Horning, The Kings Arms Ludham and the White Horse in Upton on the Northern Broads rely on live music events to bring the custom in through the summer season. The first two have weekly events whereas the White Horse is fortnightly. Weekly quizzes are also popular. I remember that Sid, the former landlord, would have weekly events (twice weekly in the main season) to coincide with the start and finish days for Herbert Woods. It made a good first or last night. Sid did say he was aware staff at Herbert Woods were recommending the "night" when asked for suggestions. 

Regarding the actual venue for music, we attended whenever on holiday and the music would begin around 9.30pm and go on till around 11.30pm. Food service had finished by the start time and people did stay on. As an alternative what about using the family room (below) unless you have other plans for it.

Regards

David

By the way, when you are up and running, if you let me know about any events, I will include them into the listing. There is no charge. 

family-room1.jpg

thank you for the kind offer and i will be in touch, could you send me a number to have a chat on?

that picture gives me nightmares...family room? god it is worse than the derelict room it currently is!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dilligaf said:

I heard the work folk mentioned, I know of one broadland pub where the monthly folk club drive more away than in as they are pretty awful and those that turn up with them tend to drink tap water and odd teas while taking up the table space so the whole thing costs the business money, I'm not anti folk if it's done well.

The water rats have a bit of a reputation for causing problems too, best having them in for an afternoon set before they get too pi55ed as they can get fairly obnoxious by the evening.

And I like live music in a pub.

we have ours on a sunday night that is usually dead so i cannot comment if ours drives people away, we make good money from it so i would suggest it works for us. trick would be to segregate from general public as to not interfere 

• Like 2

As someone who is alcahol intolerant, my interest in pubs is food. However, i would like to see something a bit different in the soft drink department, away from the regular fizzies, and J20s, there must be other soft drinks to be had?. I`m also not a big fan of live music, as it can be very intrusive when people want a chat. That said, i willingly accept that you will have to cater for all tastes, so i`l try and visit between gigs.

Back on the food topic Rick, will you be using local produce, as i was told a while ago that when you see the phrase "locally sourced", it  does`nt necessarily mean locally grown or reared. Although i live down here in Dorsert, I`ve always regarded the Broads as my second home, as that`s what it feels like, and i can even drive round the Broads WITHOUT needing a map or sat nav, so it`s nice to eat in restaurants that use local produce. It`s also helping the local growers, breeders and economy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

As someone who is alcahol intolerant, my interest in pubs is food. However, i would like to see something a bit different in the soft drink department, away from the regular fizzies, and J20s, there must be other soft drinks to be had?. I`m also not a big fan of live music, as it can be very intrusive when people want a chat. That said, i willingly accept that you will have to cater for all tastes, so i`l try and visit between gigs.

Back on the food topic Rick, will you be using local produce, as i was told a while ago that when you see the phrase "locally sourced", it  does`nt necessarily mean locally grown or reared. Although i live down here in Dorsert, I`ve always regarded the Broads as my second home, as that`s what it feels like, and i can even drive round the Broads WITHOUT needing a map or sat nav, so it`s nice to eat in restaurants that use local produce. It`s also helping the local growers, breeders and economy.

i really like this question and it is a reason i am fond of the forum set up...

if you were to come in our current venue we offer a range of frobisher fusions (like j20, same flavours but all natural), frobisher juices, fentimans soft drinks, norfolk cordials and carton juices. for me it is important to try and provide healthier alternatives as i have a young child myself.

honestly i would say most venues on the broads do not use locally sourced for the bulk of ingredients. places mentioned already on this topic use national frozen food suppliers for alot of dishes. We use locally sourced meat from swannington for pork and beef, other meats are sourced wherver is possible for the freshest. we use local dairy farms for milk, cream and cheese. we try to use local and british veg where possible but out of season again it is not possible.

we have our own chutney made for us by a local woman and now make all beef burgers on site with norfolk beef mince and we grow our own herbs on site. i would suggest you unfortunately unattach yourself from the dream of local produce entirely (i have had to) as so many places claim to but in theory tesco could be claimed as locally 'sourced' 

• Like 10

Following on from Speedtripple's post, I'd like to second the plea for more interesting non-alcohol options. In far too many pubs we're limited to either overly sweet drinks (and that includes a lot of juices and ginger beer) or the really disgusting tasting becks blue. If I don't want to drink alcohol I seem to be limited to water.  Seem to recall that my hubby Graham tasted a decent bottle of 'Nanny State' in The White Horse' though. 

Helen

• Like 2

Hi Rick,

Where I live we had a pub/club which had live music every week. It was In the middle of a residential area and as part of the entertainment licence conditions the groups had to keep below a certain number of decibels. There was a noise meter fitted on one wall and if the noise got above the allowed level it automatically cut out the speakers for about 30 seconds.

This worked very well in making the acts stay within the limitations and also meant it was possible to chat to each other without having to shout.

Personally I cannot understand why lots of acts think very loud is good.

Regarding the Herbert Woods trade they do supply all hirers with a privilege card which gives the customer some sort of incentive to use contributing businesses ( % off food , free mooring , or something similar). It could be a way of attracting more customers without costing too much.

Jeff  

• Like 2

To be honest most of the regular musicians in the Broads pubs (Richard, Sally, John Walker etc) keep the volume at very sensible levels and I don't think it should cause too much of a problem. I've certainly never had to shout at the bar or been unable to converse with Mrs Nog....... :naughty:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Hi Rick,

Where I live we had a pub/club which had live music every week. It was In the middle of a residential area and as part of the entertainment licence conditions the groups had to keep below a certain number of decibels. There was a noise meter fitted on one wall and if the noise got above the allowed level it automatically cut out the speakers for about 30 seconds.

This worked very well in making the acts stay within the limitations and also meant it was possible to chat to each other without having to shout.

Personally I cannot understand why lots of acts think very loud is good.

Regarding the Herbert Woods trade they do supply all hirers with a privilege card which gives the customer some sort of incentive to use contributing businesses ( % off food , free mooring , or something similar). It could be a way of attracting more customers without costing too much.

Jeff  

we are a member of said scheme here at the white horse already, i think it is a great idea but here we don't get many redemptions which is strange but maybe it is poorly explained?

16 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Following on from Speedtripple's post, I'd like to second the plea for more interesting non-alcohol options. In far too many pubs we're limited to either overly sweet drinks (and that includes a lot of juices and ginger beer) or the really disgusting tasting becks blue. If I don't want to drink alcohol I seem to be limited to water.  Seem to recall that my hubby Graham tasted a decent bottle of 'Nanny State' in The White Horse' though. 

Helen

non alcohol wise we offer bitburger drive lager which is ten times better than becks blue and as mentioned nanny state which is top draw for its class. we offer the aforementioned soft drinks and also the full fever tree range. always scouring for more interesting items but got it covered so far really

• Like 3

21 hours ago, RickWhiteHorse said:

have been thinking alot about it when considering layout of pub inside, the old method of having a band in the window of main bar was just not viable going forward, too loud for staff to hear and just not enough room without removing all furniture. obviously solution would be to put a band in the restaurant  but then you lose 100 seats for diners and as mentioned you need them in the summer. happy to hear any thoughts from you?

The band in the bar always seemed to work well as it created an intimate space and those not wishing to be part of the music had the other areas that they could move to.  All of the bands that I know and some that I have performed with really enjoyed playing at The Lion, probably because of the closeness of the space. The place was always packed in summer when there was live music. 

A five-piece easily fits in the bay which dislodges three tables at most in the bar. 

The Ferry House has only a tiny area for music (much smaller than The Lion) but does it really well. 

However. I see what you are saying. Perhaps have a chat with Shiela at Hard Rain and Sally from An Evening with Bob as they were the most frequent guests at The Lion. 

http://www.hardrain-band.co.uk/

http://www.eveningwithbob.co.uk/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

The band in the bar always seemed to work well as it created an intimate space and those not wishing to be part of the music had the other areas that they could move to.  All of the bands that I know and some that I have performed with really enjoyed playing at The Lion, probably because of the closeness of the space. The place was always packed in summer when there was live music. 

A five-piece easily fits in the bay which dislodges three tables at most in the bar. 

The Ferry House has only a tiny area for music (much smaller than The Lion) but does it really well. 

However. I see what you are saying. Perhaps have a chat with Shiela at Hard Rain and Sally from An Evening with Bob as they were the most frequent guests at The Lion. 

http://www.hardrain-band.co.uk/

http://www.eveningwithbob.co.uk/

cheers for the info, will get in touch with them once i confirm keys

1 hour ago, thingamybob said:

I occasionally visit a pub (The Trout) in Lechlade Gloucestershire and they have permanent marquees in the garden for music events etc. Perhaps that may be an idea for you?

Best wishes in your venture, hope to see you in the early Summer. 

i will look into it, thank you

7 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

I can see the BA being unhelpful there, but it's possible they'll see the tourism benefit.

it is quite clear from looking at this forum the BA do not have the best reputation but since being in touch with them they honestly have been very helpful on both mooring and possible planning issues. i would go as far as saying they couldn't have done any more for me.

• Like 8

People  have strong  feelings on BA.As far as I am concerned  they have been helpful  to us .You have had a good track record  which helps.That part of the river,needs moorings and  a good pub.You should  fit the bill. I have said many times  and will  continue  to  do  so.I want as a Chef and a customer the best possible. It don't  have to posh,but good honest food and service. I know you and the team can deliver .

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RickWhiteHorse said:

it is quite clear from looking at this forum the BA do not have the best reputation but since being in touch with them they honestly have been very helpful on both mooring and possible planning issues. i would go as far as saying they couldn't have done any more for me.

Fortunately the Thurne Lion doesnt need dredging :D

:coat:

With regard to music venues around the Broads the BA planning department worked hard with the Ivy Farm at Oulton Broad, the end result being a great success for all concerned. The problem arose when music was transferred to a marquee adjoining the pub. The sound itself was not incredibly loud but sound travels over water and marshes and was deemed unacceptable. All parties worked together and subsequently a purpose built music venue was allowed alongside the pub and restaurant and it's now a great success.

As for bands frightening more away than they attract, that's the balance that any pub has to achieve, and it can't be easy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

... I was alarmed to see the state of the wooden garden furniture, some with nails/ screws sticking out...proper 'elf and safety case.

You see, that's the whole problem with elf n safety. It erodes the adventure aspect of visiting these establishments. Not knowing whether you would survive your visit at the Lion without being maimed, poisoned or insulted only added to the experience and, if the pub didn't get you, chances are the moorings would on your way back in the dark.

• Like 8

I think getting the balance right with music in a pub is difficult. Putting a loud band in a small room where customers cannot escape for a quiet drink is not a good idea. Not to mention the name of the pub in question, I have just left the pub when the band started up as I usually have a few beers in the boat.

Anyway Rick, if you can get the balance right you certainly have a customer here. Lets have plenty of trad jazz and folk and country music please.

Best wishes.

thingamybob.           cheersbar

• Like 1

Each to their own but I largely agree with Thingamybob on this one although I am no great fan of 'country music' and would much prefer a modern style 'folk' band . My own personal feeling is that there are some terrible 'pub' bands out there, okay, so there are a few exceptions, but by and large their 'success' depends on the amount of ale consumed! As a guide, by my way of thinking, if a band plays a pub gig for free, and some do, then that band isn't good enough to charge.

I don't know Rick & I don't know much about his intentions but my guess is that he is in a bit of a dilemma. Does he take The Lion up market to what he is clearly very good at, or does he go down market to where the Lion's previously was?

Me, well, spit and sawdust has long been my preferred drinking habitat, but there are limits! At the top end, pretentious, boutique pubs, argggghhhhhh, where's the door? 

Long gone is the riverside haunt when a couple of pickled eggs, an arrowroot biscuit or two, a packet of pork scratchings and several pints of 'twos', a chance to let rip without causing offence, an acoustic folk band and a group of friends was considered a good night out.

Well, maybe not so long gone, The Pleasure Boat at Hickling, Geldeston Locks and Surlingham Ferry, when the band is a pleasure to listen to, can all still deliver. 

• Like 2

The answer is simple, lots of loud rock bands, john smiths extra smooth at a pound a pint, maybe stella for £1.50 to keep the lager louts happy, pie and chips for a fiver, bar open till 3am every day.

And full english breakfast from 9 till 12 every morning.

Perfect!....... (I don't ask much:facepalm:)

• Like 1