Thurne Lion

Mowjo

Peter your guess may be a little out in this location, but I think someone else had that idea up at the former Horizon Craft site at Acle - the Broads Boating Co. had stated on their Facebook page:

" ... Our first plans where to operate a smaller fleet of around 10-12 craft in the first year while converting the front of the workshop into a bar/restaurant/clubhouse and install approximately 10-15 glamping pods along the site, and provide around 10 private moorings, this allowed more than one stream of income and also provided more services and facilities on the broads rather than take them away however, while Richardsons supported the plan, the BA point blank refused the pods so we where back to the drawing board.

We are now planning to take over the site in November and spend the winter refurbishing the 10 boats we've secured, converting the front of the workshop into the fun 'food for sharing' style clubhouse/restaurant that we currently operate in Cumbria, create around 10 private moorings and try to negotiate with the BA on what else we can do on the land instead of it all just turning into private moorings, which we don't want ..."

So I doubt this will be the way the Lion goes. 

Of course it comes down to cost, but the pub already has a nice charm to it - personally I would ditch the carpet in all public areas (they are always a pain to keep clean) the bar, the tables and so on are all good to my mind.  Some redecoration but nothing over the top.

One of my issues with pub refurbishments is this constant need to buy light wood rectangular tables and black faux leather high back chairs (and why do so many go with a sort of mushroom and white interior). The Lion does not need that sort of transformation going on in my opinion.

The toilets look like the structure is sound but just needs new tiles, loos and wash basins to bring them into the modern era, and that need not cost the earth.

Where issues do pop up is the moorings - lots of dodgy quay heading to be dealt with there, and you have the Broads Authority's well known planning department to contend with along I am sure with anything too much being added to or removed from the exterior of the pub - I bet even a new sign at the end of the Dyke would have to go thru various stages of rubber stamping before it was allowed.

• Like 2

Let's hope it is good news.I for one am not a fan of the WRC.The food however  in the pub is good.When you pay to moor that's okay,but to be charged  for water I think is wrong. Then if you want a pump out,you have to do it yourself. Back to the Lion.Think it will take deep pockets.All in all I hope that no pubs on the broads  stay as pubs not turned into  something  else 

Hello Ian

I hire boats,usually from Herbert Woods for 2, 11 day breaks a year .I live up in the North East of England and i do like to visit at least one broadside pub each day when i,m on holiday.But i,m beginning to worry that they are becoming fewer and fewer.Solutions are needed  as they are an important part of Boating holidays.

• Like 2

Of course there is a solution - the solution is to turn them into the type of place that people WANT to go out of season - the trouble is that that does not necessarily mean the same sort of place the holidaymakers would want to go!!

Horning Ferry illustrates just that - whilst I suspect a few diehards will say it IS what they want, the vast majority of locals would not , with respect , be seen dead in the place - although to be fair with a 1* hygiene rating perhaps that is apt!  Is it really the sort of place you would go out of your way to go to, in the middle of winter if you wanted a decent meal in pleasant surroundings, and indeed if you did go,would you actually get a meal you could honestly say you enjoyed it so much, you would go back again?

I agree its horses for courses but whilst the place may well appeal to some, the winter evenings often look a bit thin!! A business will struggle to survive if it has to resort to "forcing" people into their bar by closing the moorings opposite - shame its reputation does not precede it and they go voluntarily!!

Of course some love it but its not for me!!!

• Like 6

To thrive the pubs need to appeal to both and to be a fair a number of pubs on the Broads manage to do.What they can not do is just chase after the holidaymaker.Its a long winter if thats all you try to attract.Surlingham Ferry is a good example ,in my eye anyway,of what a Pub should be aiming at.

• Like 3

I've not been into Surlingham, personally I think the Dukes head at Somerleyton has it right (ok it's a bit too gastropub) the menu is local and a polite mix of pub classics and a'la carte the rustic charm is there too.. It's not too expensive.. my perfect pub.. massive shame we are so far away and never get down there now.

Last I heard (Not sure where) about the Lion was that the daughter and son has taken it over then I heard it's being turned into something which isn't a pub (nursing home or something) and the Yacht club will use the moorings for private yacht moorings.. Personally I'm hoping it stays as a pub and having heard about Sid now I think it will be good for the broads to have a new lease of life.

• Like 2

I agree with Marshman, making pubs the sort of place you would want to go is essential to their survival. I have crossed a few off my list over the years, mainly because of cold atmosphere, scruffy decor and so on. 

Its always a problem when providers maybe take a view that all holiday trade is passing trade so why build relationships? 

I realise that I may sound. really fussy, but I can be happy with bare benches, providing they are clean and staff are friendly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Polly said:

I agree with Marshman, making pubs the sort of place you would want to go is essential to their survival. I have crossed a few off my list over the years, mainly because of cold atmosphere, scruffy decor and so on. 

Its always a problem when providers maybe take a view that all holiday trade is passing trade so why build relationships? 

I realise that I may sound. really fussy, but I can be happy with bare benches, providing they are clean and staff are friendly.

In my opinion this has long been the problem on the Broads, especially on the North rivers, Broads Haven of old being a prime example.

• Like 2

There are nice pubs and not so nice pubs all over the country, but generally speaking the local you may go to will fit in with your own tastes, along perhaps with the people there that bring it all together to be ‘your cup of tea’.

The issue for the pubs in Broadland is that they come under a greater scrutiny for a shorter space of time from a greater number of people.  In the season places like the Malsters at Ranworth will see customer after customer come in, have a drink or meal and depart – perhaps not to return again for a year when they are on their next holiday. 

Many of these customers will be carrying PJD’s (Pub Judgment Devices) or to everyone else the common Smart Phone. Within moments of leaving they can be posting glowing (or not so glowing) comments and photos of their food on Facebook - potentially read by thousands of other people who have specifically joined a Group based upon the fact it’s content will purely be Broads related. Then there are hard core reviewers out there who fire up the Trip Adviser App and post long personal opinions of a place together with photos. 

But the average Landlord and their staff are not going to know a Social Media Analyst from a Banker and they will go on much the same as they have year after year.  Sometimes though their tried and tested business model, attitude, drinks offering, food or interior may all be way off the mark to what people are expecting and wanting. 

I’m surprised where you have people on Facebook talking about places to go to, asking others what pubs may be there, visiting and then posting photos of their food and commenting on the experiences which are then discussed amongst countless others but I can’t remember once seeing a reply from someone at the pub – be it Landlord or staff member. This is a gold mine of people to ‘plug into’ to receive virtually real time feedback and conversely for the pub to gain some promotion - all for free! 

Of all the Pubs that seem to be active in their own Facebook page is the New Inn in Horning – in the season they will post photos from their moorings with the blue sky and busy moorings and use it as a tool to promote and inform. 

Honestly though just as we are losing pubs across the country and looking at jut how many are sat waiting to be let on various websites it comes down to the stark fact that a large proportion of this country not only does not go out to a pub to drink like once, but are not drinking as much as they once did. 

It is why there is now such proliferation of chains of places such as Zizzi, ASK, Prezzo, Pizza Express and Strada – they all pretty much are the same – Pizza and Pasta but they are places people go to for a tasty simple meal and some wine or a bottle of Peroni.  In Broadland unless one heads to the likes of Norwich you will not find this sort of thing – chain or independent but it is this that I feel will be the future for a new type of hirer, younger, on larger more expensive boats for short breaks.  

The real issue is visitors wanting to visit places, be able to moor and have something interesting to do once they are shore side and I can’t help but think that the attraction of ‘another pub’ is beginning to wear thin.

One final point, I notice (and it is without any figures but my own eye) those who visit the Broads generally, those who talk about it on Forums of Facebook are not a reflection of the people I see about me in London for example – and I am sure that is repeated in other large areas and cities over the country.  We are a patchwork of race and culture and background but on the Broads you’d never know and I think that is a shame as clearly something is not appealing to, and I hate to use the word this ‘demographic’.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

In my opinion this has long been the problem on the Broads, especially on the North rivers, Broads Haven of old being a prime example.

Funny you should mention that pub Peter, Sid Fillery was after that, until the powers that be were shown the results of a Google search.

• 2 months later...