Propane vs. Butane

I may be totally wrong here but I have it in my mind that if you change from one to other you need to change the jets on cookers ect. someone may need to shoot me down :norty:

Hi Colin

No, there is only need to re-jet if you swap from natural gas to bottled or vice-versa, as they run at different pressures. Butane to propane requires no mods like that, just a change of regulator and bottle fittings.

Don't forget, if you are insulating the bottle, it makes it freeze quicker. So will work in the opposite many than intended.

These bottles need to dispel their coolness as quick as possible, we use heat belts on our refrigerant bottles, when we are charging a system, we have the same problem, bottles start to freeze up.

The Bottle was almost three years old when at the most inopportune time this summer it ran out :cry

That entailed a Taxi to Maldon and back so I am not having that again and fitted a regulator with a dial giving the status on how full the bottle is :grin:

Those regulators with gauges are very useful Perry, but not as useful as carrying a spare cylinder ;)

We have two cylinders on the boat, and two cylinders in the caravan :)

Although having said that, it doesn't look like your gas locker has room for a second cylinder?

Dave

Another vote for Propane.

We originally had Butane and the flame on the gas hob's burners used to drop to about half it's height in a really cold mid-winter snap (although we never actually lost the flame).

I swapped the cylinders to Propane, changed to a Propane regulator and since it has been good all year round.

I could be wrong but my understanding is that Propane has to be stored at a higher pressure, hence the different regulator. I also understand that (shoreside) Butane bottles are allowed inside but Propane bottles have to be outside or in a suitably sited and externally vented locker (caravans always have the red Propane cylinders outside).

For instance, shoreside you are NOT allowed to use Propane in one of those free standing gas heaters (that have the bottle inside a rear door) - it has to be Butane.

So it could be argued that Propane is better in winter but Butane is the slightly safer option of the two, albeit with it's limitations as above.

Steve

+1 vote for "I've never had a problem with Butane in cold conditions".

+1 vote for "I thought propane was stored at higher pressure hence the need for a different regulator".

+1 vote for "two cylinders are better than one"

And finally,

-1 vote for hireboats using propane. Every hire boat I've ever seen used butane. However if Jimbo's boat came using propane then I guess some must, but certainly not one I've come across. Clive can probably shed some light on that.

I'll be interested to know how you get on Mark. We'll be out of action for the whole of the winter season this year but I would image we won't be coming out again for a couple of years after that so winter cruising is definitely on the agenda and, at present, our heating is also gas so I don't fancy the thought of it failing because it gets too cold!

-1 vote for hireboats using propane. Every hire boat I've ever seen used butane. However if Jimbo's boat came using propane then I guess some must, but certainly not one I've come across. Clive can probably shed some light on that.

Practically all hire craft use Butane during the main season, as you say Simon, but I'm lead to believe those that hire right through the winter do often swap over to Propane.

I'm going to have a look having a propane auto changeover fitted tomorrow, so we'll see how we go.

+1 vote for "I've never had a problem with Butane in cold conditions".

+1 vote for "I thought propane was stored at higher pressure hence the need for a different regulator".

+1 vote for "two cylinders are better than one"

And finally,

I'll be interested to know how you get on Mark. We'll be out of action for the whole of the winter season this year but I would image we won't be coming out again for a couple of years after that so winter cruising is definitely on the agenda and, at present, our heating is also gas so I don't fancy the thought of it failing because it gets too cold!

IM with Simon ! :lol:

Should be very easy for you to convert Mark, mine has the regulator mounted to the side of the gas locker, from that come the two pig tails with L/H threaded nuts to screw into the bottles. Basically a standard propane setup really! Oh and the pig tails have a one way valve built in so technically you can keep using the other bottle without a bottle connected to the other tail, but I for one am not prepared to trust the oneway valve and always keep 2 bottles connected and just use one at a time :grin:

Exactly what I've just done Jimbo. Swapped the butane regulator for a propane one fixed on a bracket to the side of the locker, and two new pigtails. Had the lot checked by a Corgi fitter, and now were cooking with gas! I've noticed the Propane gives a much stronger flame on the cooker, and a bit of a roar noise to it too due to the increased pressure.

One thing I was not aware of, is that the pigtails have the manufacturing date printed on them, and have a life span of 3 years. My butane ones were due for renewal in January and I had no idea!

Interesting thread. We went out on Boxing Day last year, and innocently tried to brew up (with butane). Nothing happened - we ended up with lukewarm coffee after a very, very long wait and no sign that the kettle would ever boil. I still haven't decided whether to lay up for the winter this year, but if we don't it will either be a flask for each trip or a propane conversion. Fortunately we've got an Eberspacher so heating isn't an issue.

Bruce

I have had to replace a faulty regulator on my butane system on the boat safety testers recommendation. I ordered the part from calor marine in southampton and they ended up sending me a propane 37mBar instead of a butan 28mBar.

When I phoned to complain they immediately sent me the correct part that has now arrived. When I asked what I should do with the incorrectly supplied part the guy said, just keep it, hence I have a reg suitable for oven use 4-5 kg/hr 38mBar looking for a new home.

Anyone interested?

Dan

When I removed the old reg it was full of this 'orrible oily gunk the like of which I have never seen, this is what was causing the reg to run way below the pressure it should have given at the LP end.

All is now well with my gas system and a big thanks to Poppy for the lend of the adjustable wrench.

Dan