Broadlander Cruiser Info Wanted

CaptainPugRush

How do peeps!

Hope you're all well.

I recently set up a non-commercial Facebook group for fans of the Broadlander Leisure Cruiser from Richardson's boatyard.

I'm interested to know of anybody here who has either hired the Broadlander or is interested in it, and would like to join the group and share information on it.

Feel free to post pictures, videos, information or anything relevant.

I set it up purely for fun and because I just LOVE this boat design and want to get as much info as possible on it. :love

The group can be found over at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Broadlander/

:Stinky

• Like 1

I am just wondering how many groups there are on Facebook about the Norfolk Broads , I am no longer on Facebook but when I was there were plenty I am just thinking how many of these groups do we need you can not be a member of them all , Captainpugrush good luck with yours and please don't think I was having a go at you or your group .

It would just be interesting to see what other members of the Forum think I will watch with interest .

Good luck with the group. It's fun to be able to chat with people who are interested in the same thing. I've never hired this boat but I like the look of the design ... unfortunately these newer Richardson's boats tend to be out of my budget.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I am just wondering how many groups there are on Facebook about the Norfolk Broads , I am no longer on Facebook but when I was there were plenty I am just thinking how many of these groups do we need you can not be a member of them all , Captainpugrush good luck with yours and please don't think I was having a go at you or your group .

It would just be interesting to see what other members of the Forum think I will watch with interest .

Hi CheshireCat

No problem my friend :-)

Yep you're right, there are a good few...I'm a member of 3 as far as I can remember.

The difference between those and my own though is that mine is just themed around one particular boat...the Broadlander.

So it's quite a niche Facebook group whereas the others are more general.

I have hired Broadway, and it does have pluses, it also has a few minuses too. The centre cabin is lacking in storage space, and the beds are very narrow and not very comfortable. The galley area is not the roomiest either. Visability steering when reversing is poor unless you stand up and streach over to the gear stick. Fuel consumption is heavy I felt. But the worst of them all, is the positioning of the fire extinguisher, I bet you hit it with your shoulder several times ? Oops almost forgot, the centre roof spar can be hit when leaving the helmsman seat. Ask our HockhamAdmiral, eh John !:naughty: First aid and a Glenmorangie was applied !

cheersIain

• Like 2

On 02/09/2016 at 11:11 AM, Jonzo said:

I've been on Broadlander when she was brand new (about an hour into her hire life) and a very nice vessel she was with good manoeuvrability and visibility and a lovely interior. The extra interior space over Broadway is great.

You could perhaps expand your group to include the other single-level Richardson's craft though (Broadway) and the other newer builds such as the RC45 (Broadsman, Monaco etc) and RF45 (Commodore, Commander) to broaden the appeal. 

Of course, you are welcome to use the 'Broads-built boats' section on this forum for the purpose. Facebook groups are great but the shame with them is that people don't refer back to info once it has been posted.

Thanks for all the info Jonzo :-)

I might consider broadening the FB group out a bit in future...for now though, I kind of just want to stick with the Broadlander.

Took a look at some pics of those new builds you listed and they look fabulous don't they :-)

We moored Royal Tudor behind the Broadsman at Ludham Bridge. Just before we tied up Griff had taken BA  downstream as we came upstream through the bridge and both crews made a bit of noise tooting and waving to each other.  A young family were aboard Broadsman with a young lad about seven or eight years old. They had obviously not long picked the boat up and the boys parents were on the point of exasperation with the young man.

"What's wrong with our boat?" the mother was demanding.
"It's not a proper boat like those!" exclaimed the young lad pointing at BA and RT then folding his arms.
The mother tried a different tack pointing out Broadsman's luxuries but Dad had come out on deck.
"What's wrong with our boat?" Dad snapped.
"It's just like Grandma's bungalow!" wailed the young lad as the family disembarked and headed to the shops.
The parents shook their heads as they passed us, but the young lad stopped beside Royal Tudor.
"When I grow up i want a wooden boat just like this!' said the lad as he sauntered after Mum and Dad.

Broadsman is indeed a lovely, well appointed modern boat. But I'm sorry to say CaptainPugRush, whenever we see her the cry goes out 'Here's Grandma's Bungalow!'. :naughty:  I often wonder whether the young lad will achieve his 'Ambition'?

• Like 8

Personally, I really love the 'bathtub cruiser' style boats.

They're ideal for the missus and the dog who can both chill in the front well. The first boat we ever hired back in 2014 was the Solerno and while we loved it...it was a tad small.

Same thing in 2015 when we hired Gold Gem.

When I first saw the Broadlander (RL 45) it was love at first sight for me.

Although I haven't been on it yet, I get the impression that it's quite roomy inside. If I could own a boat that would be the one for me.

Pity Richardson's don't allow pooch's on it :-(

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a Gold Gem or Salerno, they are boats, as long as they float and you love them, that's all that matters, I'd be happy in a canoe with a brolly lol. Gold Gem is a boat close to my heart, she was my earliest memory of being on the Broads and I will love her until the day I die, she was the start of my love affair with the Broads......apart from the sailie thingies, of course:gracie::naughty:

Grace

• Like 2