And Now From Norwich... It's Scrumpy Holiday Time

1 hour ago, JimC said:

Great write up, really enjoyed it, we prefer the southern side, and a beautiful looking boat. One question, what was wrong with the Premier inn to be able to get a refund, we use that too and this year had a really uncomfortable night as it was so hot.

This over the years has become a problem with both Premier Inns and Travelodge, the pathetic gap the windows now open, ALL because of Health and Safety, so nobody takes a jump out of the windows, nor on the ground floor know one can break in and steal. Yes, in some of their Inns, cooling fans are supplied, but all they do is recirculate the already hot air ! 

The solution is for them to install proper air con IMHO.

cheersIain.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

This over the years has become a problem with both Premier Inns and Travelodge, the pathetic gap the windows now open, ALL because of Health and Safety, so nobody takes a jump out of the windows, nor on the ground floor know one can break in and steal. Yes, in some of their Inns, cooling fans are supplied, but all they do is recirculate the already hot air ! 

The solution is for them to install proper air con IMHO.

cheersIain.

Iain it was bloody awful... The food .. The room.. The toilet .. It was a con.. Now I know why it was £35... Then the food was like rubber that was the big con.. 2 course meal 2 drinks and breakfast for 2  for £47.99..  Sounded good.. I wouldn't of fed it to the dog .. And I don't have a dog lol...

Oh and the blocked toilet and sink... They knew about that because half of the top floor rooms where blocked.. There excuse was " well we have been busy and it's been the school holidays... Hang on is this hotel or a boat what needs a pump out... 

We had a fan in the room and a window what opened 6 inch...

i know one thing Lenny Henry ain't stayed there .. The room needed a good lick a paint...

Next year it's back to the Travelodge at Cringleford with its Little Chef Olympic Breakfast.. Yum yum...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Mike,

I have used Premier Inns all over the UK, and, thankfully never had that problem you encountered regarding the plumbing. However we did encounter a noisey night at one of their Inns, complained, and a full refund was given, no questions asked.

Brewers Fayre and their other eateries are typical Whitbreads, a hit or a miss. I did stop once at the one near Kincardine Bridge, and was served cold Scotch Broth, which I sent back pdq, it returned tepid warm so walked out and went elsewhere. However, I did e-mail head office later that day, and a few days later received a letter of apology and a voucher for £20.00p.

I have been to a few Brewers Fayre up here, and found their gammon steak and Thai green curry, to be ok.

Not a place I would visit in a hurry, but handy when en route somewhere or other.

cheersIain

• Like 2

The last 2 Premier inns I've stayed in been disaster Norwich (Broadlands) and Weymouth ( lodmoor)...  We've been using Travelodges more now they've been so much cheaper and nicer and we haven't had a bad one yet. You should try them Iain there's lots of new ones popping up and the old ones been refitted out.. :trophy

1 hour ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

The last 2 Premier inns I've stayed in been disaster Norwich (Broadlands) and Weymouth ( lodmoor)...  We've been using Travelodges more now they've been so much cheaper and nicer and we haven't had a bad one yet. You should try them Iain there's lots of new ones popping up and the old ones been refitted out.. :trophy

Hi Mike,

I have used Travelodge on several occasions, mostly in the London area, that had been Innkeepers Lodges. Darlington, Premier Inn, is one of the best stayed for both accom and food, the old one, not tried the new one there, yet. I did have trouble at the Travelodge at Bournemouth, not a place to stay at weekends !!!

The best rooms for motels we have stayed at though is the Days Inns. High quality fixtures and fittings there.

cheersIain

• Like 1

We've used Premier Inns a number of times and always been fine. Particularly enjoyed the one opposite the railway station in Norwich by the river. We had a room with a view and could watch the boats coming in and out. The food in the restaurant on site was good as well.

• Like 2

Likewise I've used Premier Inn a few times over the years, only once in Norfolk as it happens and always liked them. My wife and I stayed at a brand new one in Edinburgh this year and it was brilliant, especially the bed which had a comfy luxurious feel about it.

I like Travelodge as well and they're brilliant value, especially if you book well ahead. I like the one at Acle and my daughter and I have rooms there next month for £31 each (booked almost a year ago).

• Like 3

On 11/09/2016 at 11:37 PM, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Well I was going to do a boat review on the Broom Commodore 1 ...

Sad news... Found out this morning as from the end of October it's no longer available for hire out of service for good :cry... 

This is the only six berth Broom they have.. I must admit I wouldn't want to be on there with six...

Four of you would be a squeeze.. 

You have your main forward cabin and you have a second small cabin with bunk beds.. And upstairs in the saloon is where you made up the third bed you made up with the table and the seats...

Theres a snug Toilet (Electric) push button and shower.. What is brill..

Saloon area is your seating and kitchen and cockpit area.. You have a two ring gas hob and oven.. Fridge.. Sink.. All surrounded with glass with panoramic views of where you look out.. There's a set of French doors what fully open up to Aft out door seating area.. What has-detachable sides and back... What has a reversible back seat.. So you can face the saloon or the waters edge ... That's lovely touch...

Other seating is on the front (bow) enough for two.. What is nice to sit on as you go along or just chilling when your moored up...

Everything is finished in a high quality it feels plush and nice..

Ok technical stuff now lol...

Height from waterline... 10ft 2ins fold down TV aerial 8ft 6ins...

Length...... 35ft

width......... 12ft 

1000 rpm = 4mph                                                                                                  

1500 rpm = 6mph

2500 rpm = 12mph (Tested on Breydon water)

500 ltrs fresh water tank.. Enough for two days...

Bow Thrusters..

speedo/ Depth gauge

fresh water gauge

toilet waste gauge

12 volt / 240 volt inverter

Not sure what engine is in her.. Very quiet tho..

movability is brilliant...

Handles like a dream

We couldn't find anything wrong with this beautiful boat.. Broom really know how to build and fit out boats.. It's such a shame this boat will not be available for hire at the end of the season.. 

Here's a few pics I've taken and six I've  sort of borrowed off inter web..

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

Good news ... Broom commodore is available for 2017 ...

Hoseasons and Blakes are taking bookings.. so she has been saved... 

• Like 2

I hope that you are right on that one. But we have had a strange experience booking our break in March with Norfolk Broads Direct. The boat and the date were showing on Hoseasons but we wanted to book directly in order to use our 5% voucher. On contacting NBD they were a little hesitant about taking our booking - this was a few weeks ago. They said ok in the end but couldn't confirm the price. Seemed odd given that the boat was being offered on the Hoseasons website with the price and full details. 

Anyway ... we booked it but they still haven't confirmed how much they think they are going to charge us. Hubby emailed them again last week and they said that they won't be looking at this until they get past this busy period. Hmmm ... slightly disconcerting and not the service we have come to expect.

• Like 2

It is Fair Prince that we are taking out. We've hired this one before in mid October and so we know what we are getting. But whoever we spoke to was doubtful that it would be suitable for the end of March. Hmmm ... well, we know that the heating is good and the cover that goes over where the canopy slides back keeps a lot of the draughts out. Plus the little dining space for two under the bow is very cosy indeed. Just something really odd about being able to book it up on Hoseasons before NBD seemed to have got themselves into gear. I'm reading all the time on Facebook about people having made bookings with them. I'm sure that it will all work out.

Apologies to ScrumpyCheddar for interrupting his holiday thread with talk of other boats. :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Apologies to ScrumpyCheddar for interrupting his holiday thread with talk of other boats. :) 

Could have been about the C word Jean or the X word.:norty::naughty: Must say, it does sound a bit odd regarding NBD. We were moored next to that boat the last time we were down. Nice looking craft, indeed.:)

As for the news regarding Brooms Commodore, good news indeed, need as many hire boats as possible from down south !

cheersIain

• Like 3

The only thing we didn't like was the heat in the room, didn't even bother with the duvet just had the sheet over us and the fan on all night but had to put earplugs in to keep the noise out,in suppose putting air on in would up the prices. As for the food, we ate at the Hungry Horse pub 100yds away, much better and cheaper

• Like 1

Strange treatment from NBD I feel. It sounds like the staff on the phone couldn't be bothered to do much, very disappointing. It contrasts with the service Scrumpy received from Brooms, although I would be cautious about assuming Commodore will be available just because it's on Hoseasons website. Alpha Craft were on Hoseasons website this time last year!

Far Horizon Jonzo? Nice boat and it'll be nice to be able to start from the old Horning Pleasurecraft site. Alas for me the inabilty to cruise the Ant above Ludham would be a frustration far too much to bare!

• Like 1

Ahh Far Horizon - I hired her back in 2012 I think when just a few hires old. 

If you like that sort of boat it looks the business, the outside space is nice - but shame no seats you could use out there especially since the table is movable in the saloon.  Upper helm offers some amazing views, but a rather odd helm means your sat low with the steering wheel between your knees.

I recon she has a rather small prop (or low pitch) since you need rather a lot of revs to do the various speed limits - handily read out on a Clipper GPS log. Though Horizon Craft said not, there was also clearly an issue with the electrics as with no heating on, the fridge off, no lighting the TV/Satellite dome and inverter off there was still a 3 odd Amp drain showing on the power distribution panel which adds up over the hours.

Be interested to know what how you find it John

• Like 1

On 19/09/2016 at 9:12 PM, SwanR said:

I hope that you are right on that one. But we have had a strange experience booking our break in March with Norfolk Broads Direct. The boat and the date were showing on Hoseasons but we wanted to book directly in order to use our 5% voucher. On contacting NBD they were a little hesitant about taking our booking - this was a few weeks ago. They said ok in the end but couldn't confirm the price. Seemed odd given that the boat was being offered on the Hoseasons website with the price and full details. 

Anyway ... we booked it but they still haven't confirmed how much they think they are going to charge us. Hubby emailed them again last week and they said that they won't be looking at this until they get past this busy period. Hmmm ... slightly disconcerting and not the service we have come to expect.

Here we go Jean just took a screen shot off of hoseasons web booking page on the Commodore for next year... it goes right through to the end of next year.. I don't know the procedures for NBD bookings as we've only gone through Hoseasons in the past .. and we have booked for 2017 with good discount.. so well happy..

IMG_0852.PNG

• Like 1

Yes that's exactly what we got for NBD's boats including Fair Prince on Hoseasons site but when we called NBD directly whoever we spoke to said that she couldn't give us a price and in fact they still haven't done so despite us contacting them again. We've made a note of what it's showing on Hoseasons just in case they come back with something different. Not really the way to keep your customers. When you hire with them they give you a 5% voucher to use next time, which means you need to go to them directly to get the discount. I'm sure it will all be fine. As we all know, leave it too late to book and you miss getting the boat that you want for the dates that you want.

• Like 1

Hmmm, even if you book with a yard direct, Hoseasons still get their cut regardless. There may be a very small percentage difference between the commission on direct bookings and those made through Hoseasons. Anecdotal evidence also suggests that different yards have slightly different agreements with Hoseasons although obviously this is kept well under wraps. 

We always booked direct with Swancraft because of the personal service we received but didn't do it for any specific price advantage. 

I've had various dealings with Faircraft Loynes over the years including hiring from them and always found them helpful. I agree it does sound a bit odd. 

• Like 2

As to keeping people loyal to your business - do you know what the easiest and biggest thing you can do?  It is not special offers, loyalty cards, hampers, deals in local pubs etc it is simply to make your customers feel valued.

Feel they are treated with respect and warmth, have a product that is as it appears in material - online or brochure - not how it looked five years back. Understand every customer is different so accept it. Help them where possible, not judge them or see the customer as a burden or problem.

Should anything go wrong genuinely show you are putting things right and keep the customer informed.

If you do that consistently you will not only keep their business they will talk highly of you to others and your gain people giving you a try to see how you are, and when they are impressed so it will continue.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

If you do that consistently you will not only keep their business they will talk highly of you to others and your gain people giving you a try to see how you are, and when they are impressed so it will continue.

I am sorry I am only allowed to "like" that once!

• Like 5

We Our the same that's why we have gone back to Broom for next year.. I like the personal touch and friendly people who make you feel special.. 

We use to stay in a hotel in jersey where we would go some times 2 or 3 times a year.. and done it for 28 years.. we used to love it there that's why we kept going back there... Then the problems started.. Different  reception staff every year .. booking in became a total headache because the room you asked for you could never have .. hang on the hotel is half or quarter full and there was 291 rooms.. so what was the problem..  so the last few years there we use to fill out the hotel questionnaire form what improvements could be made.. well me and father filled ours out had a moan about reception and check in and some other miner things and so on.

A week later when we was at home a reply came through the post... opening it and reading it I was in total shell shock.. 

It said

Dear sir,

Thank you very much for taking your time to fill out the Questionnaire,  blah blah blah blah .. By our records we are glad to see this is your FIRST ever visit to this hotel and we hope to see you again.....

Oh Dear... hang on a minute 28 years we've been coming here.. my father had the same letter.. red rag to a bull that was .. He sent a snotty email to the MD of the hotel.. within 20 mins he had a reply saying how sorry they was and please come and see us on are next visit at his home... ummm nope the damaged was done.. it doesn't take much for a little customer loyalty...  actually it done us a favour because the following year we found another hotel what was friendlier and so much nicer so they have Our custom now..

So Customer Recognition doesn't cost much.. 

I must say that Hoseasons remembers us so big thumbs up ... We had our 2017 hoseasons brochure come in the post today... ha ha 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...