Anybody Know This Boat

webntweb

Thinking that being redesigned by Francida Designs was an important selling point thus Francida Designs must in themselves be a somebody rather than a nobody design company I decided to Google them. Umm, no leads there, alarm bells itching to ring! If I were blowing £200,000.00 on a boat, the cost of a half reasonable house in Oulton Broad, I'd expect something really rather special. No mention of a surveyor's report was there? Open plan kitchen suggests bulkheads having been removed thus I would like a suitable, professionally qualified opinion before putting in a more realistic offer. 

• Like 1

£200K  :shocked for that?

I'm well pleased.  If that price is realistic then what price on the woodies that recently visited Beccles last month?

Example - 'Broad Ambition' fully restored / enhanced by a dedicated bunch of ammeters, but with not a shred of tupperware (West System) in evidence anywhere.  Asking price £500k

There, that should frighten em off :shocked

Griff

• Like 4

The seller could be someone who knows little about boats and after spending an obscene sum on a restoration and upgrade he/she thinks they will get this back on the sale price or.........

Its a 1965 for 200k......maybe it might be a typo and should read 20k :-) 

• Like 1

At the end of the day what we all think our boats are worth and what someone is prepared to pay for them on the market is another thing.   We had to drop from £29,500 to £20,000 in the end and she even wanted us to drop to £18,000.     This of course was being encouraged by the Brokers.   Now you all know where we used to moor so you can guess who.   Despite purchasing at £24,000 and spending over £15,000 on her ,  so at the end of the day if the chap or chapess with the wallet and the readies is not prepared to pay what you think it is worth then what can you do.   

£200,000 surely must be a typo.

• Like 1

Have you read the write up.   Sounds more like the description of a 3 bed semi.    The bit that really creased me up was the piano.  

This luxury boat has been completely renovated during the last three years. Externally it has been protected by a West System technique applied during the rebuild. While the interior has been redesigned by "francida designs" to give an open light feel throughout the boat. All fixtures have been hand built to maximise the space available. Forward of the wheelhouse is a double bedroom and toilet/utility area. The bedroom has a fitted wardrobe space, underbed storage and fitted full length mirror. The toilet/utility area has a Hotpoint Washer/Dryer, First Aid Cabinet, Spacious Shower Cubicle, Large Sink, Shelving for Clothes and Cosmetics and Sea Toilet with Waste Tank. The wheelhouse is accessed through a full sized door for ease of entry. It contains both Tool and Shoe Cupboards, fully adjustable Swivelling Captain's Chair and has a removable solid roof. To the rear of the Wheelhouse is an open plan kitchen - diner not normally available in boats of this style. To complete the luxury feel the fittings include a Full Size Dish Washer, Under Counter Freezer, 12v Fridge, Microwave, Gas Two Ring Cooker, Gas Instant Hot Water Boiler and Diesel Hot Air Blower with forward and rear outlets. The whole area has storage for all kitchen utensils, Wine Bottles and Glasses. It also has a fitted music centre and a piano which slides out for use and in for storage. The seating area can comfortably seat 6 people around the Dining Table, while both seating areas are convertible into single beds with storage beneath. The Rear Double Doors lead out to a Partially Enclosed Platform. Throughout the boat are 12 and 240v outlets and LED lighting with a bank of batteries and an external 240v connection point. Additionally there is a 6.5Kw Generator which provides 12, 240 and 380v outlets to provide additional power or battery charging without the need to run the BMC 2.5 Commander Engine. The boat has a full safety certificate issued this year.

• Like 1

To be honest even at £20,000.00 I would hesitate. Old engine, lots of shelves for things to fall off in a chop crossing Breydon, nothing seemingly startling about the joinery, I'm not convinced that the owner is as able as he probably thinks he is.

Problem with boats is that very well meaning folk can and do spend a great deal of money as well as time and effort that is eventually wasted. There is a well known houseboat project on the Broads where the owner, a house builder, has ripped everything out, treating the hull as a shell, and built a 'house', complete with stud walls, within the hull. Not only that but he has used 'house' type materials, for example boards that have sopped up the moisture and warped and deteriorated already. Lack of ventilation, unsuitable materials, hopefully not the case with the original subject but indicative of what can happen when an over enthusiastic, inexperienced boat owner goes at it with a will.

• Like 1

Having a dishwasher on a boat requires that the boat is perfectly level for 90 minutes on average, I can imagine some spillage out of the lower door if there is some wash... lol Mind you if it drains to the bilge, the bilges will be nice and clean, so clean the caustic in the dishwasher tablets would probably strip all the paint lol.

What happens to all these chemicals, many are not environmentally friendly are they?

If the price was £100k I still think we would be saying it is too expensive. 

For 200k you would be better of buying a house, renting it out, then hiring a boat for many months a year, and you still have the house paying you every month.

No marina fees, no tolls, no maintenence costs, no repairs, no worries about it being crunched.

You do the maths... 

This boat might suit a livaboard, but they still rot away, and ongoing maintenace can be very high.

• Like 1

What Hylander mentioned about selling boats and dealing with buyers reminded me of a few years ago when we decided half heartedly to put our boat on the market.

Any interest we had was coming in at 10k below the asking price citing things like new canopy required (it was and still is serviceable) some windows needing resealing (fair enough £200-400 a window but my point is they were still looking for the 10k off before we even got to a survey.  Gladly we decided to keep the boat in the end for a few more years, found a much cheaper mooring which suited us better and we are much happier to  still have her.

Seeing what other boats would be available to us after the sale if we accepted such a low offer made it pointless to let it go for the money.  Brokerages however encourage you to accept anything probably so they keep boats moving and a percentage coming in.  Im just glad we are stuck to our guns and if in a few more good years of ownership if we are still looking at 10k less then we want then It might be a case of so be it. 

We didnt expect the boat to hold its value but some buyers can be very cheeky! 

8 hours ago, Hylander said:

At the end of the day what we all think our boats are worth and what someone is prepared to pay for them on the market is another thing.

My answer to that one Hylander is people ought to be looking at boats within their budget rather than expecting a seller to dramitcally drop a price to a level they can afford.  

You expect to move some on price but in my mind anybody going in for a brokerage boat 10k below the asking price ought to be fended off by the broker, effectively they are encouraging it.