Anybody Know This Boat

webntweb

2 hours ago, dnks34 said:

My answer to that one Hylander is people ought to be looking at boats within their budget rather than expecting a seller to dramitcally drop a price to a level they can afford.  

You expect to move some on price but in my mind anybody going in for a brokerage boat 10k below the asking price ought to be fended off by the broker, effectively they are encouraging it. 

Yes they are, like estate agents they over value to get the business, then tell you it is overpriced. 

The danger is spending a lot of money on restoration and then not keeping the boat for a considerable time for enjoyment. You can say the boat has had much replanking, but a buyer does not want rot in the planks. You can say the decks have been recanvased or epoxied, but the buyer does not expect decks to leak.

The classic must be Ondina cost 75k spent 250K realised on sale 75K 

Some marques are known for deep inbuilt quality and will be desirable. But many so called classics of The Broads were built to capitalise in the shortest possible time and last a hire life of not too long in the case of wood and hence were not of the finest construction or materials.

PS @ 200K they are having a laugh!

Well, Francida Designs is not a registered company – so why make any reference to it? 

Anyway have a look through things what I suspect is the people who spent the last three years restoring the boat spent a great deal of money doing so, carefully kept a record of their costs and added this to the cost they paid for the boat.  Once that was done their head tilted up slightly, the right hand met with their chin, thumb and index finger rested upon it and they looked into the far distance.   Nod, a smile, and “yes” was softly said they would add to this an amount they felt boat was actually worth - £200,000.

It is often said that ‘a boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it’ and that is true, but there is a price a lot of people would be willing to pay and then there is a price just a few would pay – then there is the price nobody will want to and this boat is in the last category. 

The problem is ‘Francida Designs’ have, in my opinion devalued the boat through a very personalised, bespoke design where it appears those resposible locked themselves away in a ‘mood room’.  

The result appears to have influence from an old gentleman’s club in Mayfair (it just needs smell of whisky and pipe smoke) while we see other influences such as a nod to Canal boats with the oil painting on the wood interior.  As one turns to the galley one sees what I can only describe as what you find in the corner of a brick-a-brack shop – its full on Chinz here! Clearly while developing this area of the boat, there was some debate as to what to put under the counter top – a larger sink and new hob and oven clearly was too practical,  it needed something else, unusual, to clash with the oil lamps, brass and china – more white goods naturally! Yes a washing machine and dishwasher just what every classic boat restoration is missing. 

In the rear of the boat, things are more clean – varnish wood panels and classic art deco lights add to the warmth – the fact in the photos it appears to be some kind of ‘last supper’ the two plates, Champagne flutes and a selection of flowers – but that bread selection and look makes me wonder if this is a throwback to dinner parties of the 1970’s? 

The best part though is the custom built in Piano - this boat has it all and a perfect name for it would be ‘Eccentric’.

The fact is you combine all this and it means while it might be perfect for you, finding a buyer of the same character who would enjoy the boat in its current form is going to be hard enough, asking £200,000 and expecting it to sell is about as likely as Jeremy Corbyn wearing his tie straight. 

I don’t see the fact the boat has been treated with the ‘West System’ as particularly bad, as long as whoever did such knows what they are doing – all too many seem to regard it as a one stop fix that looks great. 

As I have said before on another thread, I believe it should be used to protect wood but not as a final finish.  It has little in the way of UV protection but applied correctly and then varnished over with a varnish with a high UV resistance can provide stunning results and long term protection.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Viking23 said:

I agree with Robin's comments above.

I have this question going around in my head...

In rough weather, would the bell ding first, or would the crew be awakened by the crockery and vegetable dishes crashing to the floor lol.

Who needs rough weather? just a Wroxham day boat or the Brundal navy would do it.

• Like 2