Tobago V San Diego V San Elena

Broads01

I'm considering booking one of the three boats in the title for next year. I hired San Elena back in 2005 so I know what to expect and I think any of the three would suit our party very well. But! Tobago is buckets cheaper than the other two (hence availability is less). Why is it cheaper? I can see San Diego has Holly and Teak flooring nowadays but given the layouts are all so similar I'm confused!

Tobago would be my choice not just because she's cheaper but I prefer the saloon being one level and not having steps up with the rail round that area. She doesn't have a flat screen tv and fancy flooring, perhaps that's why she costs less, smashing boat all the same, as are the other two

Thank you for the link Alan, helpful as always :kiss

Grace

• Like 2

Thanks lady and gentlemen. I was tempted by Dominica too Jonzo (which is already almost fully booked for August). I like the fit out but ideally we need 4 cabins and I can't be bothered with faffing about with a saloon sofa bed! The other advantage of the older Tobago type is the large rear 'patio' area and easy rear access, neither of which Dominica has.

We have hired both Tobago and San Elena previously.

We preferred Tobago because of the centre saloon area being all on one level.

We found that trying to watch the telly on San Elena was a bit awkward because of the metal bars at the edge of the raised area. Using the table was also much easier and there is more seating area in the saloon area on Tobago.

Hope this is helpful to you and you enjoy whichever one you choose.

Jeff

• Like 2

Tobago now booked, due in part to replies here and partly due to Richardsons typically wonky pricing. How can 4 nights on Tobago in August cost £795 when its smaller sisters like San Lucia cost £831?

I'm lucky enough to now have two short breaks next year. Apart from Tobago I have a solo 5 night voyage aboard Broadland Wave 2 in May (my second time on that boat).

• Like 2

we took Tobago 2 out last Sept/Oct , and had a whale of a time , i would recommend her to anybody to be honest ,  lots of room in all of the cabins the forward cabin has an en suite , for a bit more privacy , which is why my Mum and Dad had it, also the galley is large with a folding table and 4 stools  the state room is great with lots of visibility for both helmsman and " crew " as well as having more than enough room for the maximum 9 people to sit in comfort , the well deck at the back of the boat provides good access with a big full height sliding door that makes getting your luggage on and off a breeze. this boat has a good heating system too , not that we needed it , i have seen in other posts info about the T.V. , only one question where this is concerned why are people watching the T.V. when there is so much to see outside ?   back to the cabins , the beds are very comfortable  , and the saloon deck pulls out into a " more than double " bed , which my son slept on  and was very comfy apparently,   if you are going to be helming the boat as i said with the canopy down there is great all round visibility ,  which is useful when stern on mooring  , the throttle is responsive as is the massive  steering wheel, negatives i  think that the rearward view will be restricted  quite considerably if the canopy is up  but you can leave the rear panels of the canopy down, the window wiper is of the manual type so this too could cause a few issues if navigating in the rain or inclement weather , this vessel has no bow thruster , which can make mooring beam on interesting , having said that this was the second vessel i took out after Crown Gem, which is half the size, 25 x 9 instead of the whopping 44 x 12 of Tobago, and i didn't have any problems. all in all a great boat and i don't think you could go wrong with it . have a grand old time , stay safe , see you on the water  cheers

• Like 4

Thanks Bob, that's all good stuff. Having hired San Elena, albeit some time ago I'm familiar with the benefits of this design. On Tobago, I think the full width central saloon with extra seating, which is a modification from the original single level walk through design, is a great benefit, even for a smaller crew. I've never hired a boat with a bow thruster anyway so I don't miss what I've never had. When I'm at Stalham next month I'll try and get a look aboard and take some photos.

• Like 1

we are on Tobago 3 in October , 3 - 7 i will post a full report on said vessel on our return which will be the 8th  along with a whole bunch of photos . failing that if you would like to visit us you would be more than welcome ,if you are afloat we will be at Salhouse on the evening of the 3rd cheers

• Like 2