More Old Broads Pictures

Baitrunner

My mate sent me these pictures of a trip his dad and a few mates did back in the late 50's/ early 60's.

Someone must know the boat and where it is moored and even more importantly was that swing bridge across Breydon? The water sure looks very wide.

Safety first back then and even Iain wouldn't be able to miss that shiny fire extinguisher!!:hardhat:

Dad on the Norfolk Broads5.jpgDad on the Norfolk Broads4.jpgDad on the Norfolk Broads2.jpgDad on the Norfolk Broads5.jpg 

• Like 6

The boat is from Wingline, which is not rocket science as she has the name Wings on a board on the aft cabin side.

Looks quite new, but of an old design, with the "Surrey with a fringe on top" over the wheelhouse and the lovely old chain and cable steering, running down the side deck. I think I can just see one of the stops for the tiller quadrant, on the aft deck. Imagine that for a tripping hazard!

I can't find this boat in a Hoseasons catalogue of 1970.

In the background are Leo Robinson's sheds, and I am trying to remember the date when they moved up to the new yard at Richardsons, in Stalham.

Breydon swing bridge closed to rail traffic in 1953 and was demolished in 1962. In the photo, it looks as though it is still in operation.

So I would guess, early 1950s.

On 9/5/2016 at 4:47 PM, Baitrunner said:

My mate sent me these pictures of a trip his dad and a few mates did back in the late 50's/ early 60's.

Someone must know the boat and where it is moored and even more importantly was that swing bridge across Breydon? The water sure looks very wide.

Safety first back then and even Iain wouldn't be able to miss that shiny fire extinguisher!!:hardhat:

Dad on the Norfolk Broads5.jpgDad on the Norfolk Broads4.jpgDad on the Norfolk Broads2.jpgDad on the Norfolk Broads5.jpg 

Rope fend-offs, quadrant and chain steering, Pyrene fire extinguisher, surely the 1950's?

Vaughan, Leo's sheds remained in place long after that business moved on. Richardson's shed became Collin's Pleasure Craft. Where's Clive Ricko when we want him, he'd know when? 

• Like 1

I know the sheds were still there, but I thought the Robinsons sign came down when they moved?

Harry Collins, as I remember, was between Robinsons and the maltings, but it may have been part of the original main yard.

I have looked this boat up in catalogues of 1939 and have not found her there either, so I would guess she was new when the photos were taken. Maybe sold off sometime in the late 60s, when the recession hit the Broads.

The name on the shed is L A Robinson, the boat is Vesta 8, no A304

The figure standing on the back is my father, I have a collection of these old pictures. Little did I know just how expensive my early fascination with these pictures would be!

• Like 1

Vaughan, the Leo signs remained where they had been painted on shed walls in large letters. Ones fronting onto Caldecott Road remained well into the 1980's. Sign boards probably went when the business went but some shed walls remained, even after Norfolk Knights and Lancer moved in.