More Old Broads Pictures

Baitrunner

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Certainly Jimmy Hoseason, and is that Desmond Truman? Difficult to tell in the hat.

Good photo!

Don't think that Desmond would have been seen dead in a bobble hat, even if it was a freeby left by a hirer. I stand to be corrected but I think it might be Ivan Wiltorten or something similar. Anyone know for sure?

• Like 1

Jim Brooker was prepared to be seen in a bobble hat, even on the inside front page of Blakes brochure.

With a pipe in his mouth and a gin in his hand, of course, as the photo was taken in the well of Evening Flight, on Wroxham Broad.

The running of big businesses seemed to be more fun, in those days!

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Maybe but I think it might be earlier.

The son of the gentleman in question has a son who is something of a very capable 'woodie' man. Janet Anne, over to you!

Oops.. I will try that again. :blush:

The boat is Turkish Desire 1 built for Bill Stratford at Newson Boats. She was delivered in 1978. The whole concept came about because Jimmy wanted something different with which to replace the now aging fleets into which he was starting his proposed 20 year rule where he wanted all hire boats to be under 20 years old!

Private look was the way forward and, over many beers in the Commodore, ideas were thrown about. Lancer Marine had folded and you could see the remains of mouldings across in the old Leo Robinson's site from the Commodore bar. And that's how the Ideal 40 came about.

The chap on the right is Ivan Wooltorton my owners dad. He designed and built them. By the way, the first three hulls were deep v sea going versions! They all still exist.

As an aside, if you look at the 1979 or 1980 hoseasons brochure, nearly all the photos in the front section have an Ideal 40 in them including the front cover. Let's just say Jimmy lost a bet!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Oops.. I will try that again. :blush:

The boat is Turkish Desire 1 built for Bill Stratford at Newson Boats. She was delivered in 1978. The whole concept came about because Jimmy wanted something different with which to replace the now aging fleets into which he was starting his proposed 20 year rule where he wanted all hire boats to be under 20 years old!

Private look was the way forward and, over many beers in the Commodore, ideas were thrown about. Lancer Marine had folded and you could see the remains of mouldings across in the old Leo Robinson's site from the Commodore bar. And that's how the Ideal 40 came about.

The chap on the right is Ivan Wooltorton my owners dad. He designed and built them. By the way, the first three hulls were deep v sea going versions! They all still exist.

As an aside, if you look at the 1979 or 1980 hoseasons brochure, nearly all the photos in the front section have an Ideal 40 in them including the front cover. Let's just say Jimmy lost a bet!

JA, I may be wrong, but, I have a feeling one of those boats ended up on Loch Lomond when JH was in charge up here !

I have a feeling I saw one moored at either Tarbet or Luss.

cheersIain

20 hours ago, BroadScot said:

The gentleman on the left I had the pleasure of a very protracted phone call with in 1980 ! A real gent he was.

cheersIain

If you are referring to James Hoseason ,  he was just a true gent, sadly missed.   If there was a problem he rang you to sort it out, unlike today.     We had spent a week on the Caledonian Canal and I wrote to him with regard to the toilet operation on our boat (it was a bit archaic) and he phoned me back, bless him.   Next time we went again , to our surprise a box of chocolates was waiting at the yard.   Nice touch.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hylander said:
  21 hours ago, BroadScot said:

The gentleman on the left I had the pleasure of a very protracted phone call with in 1980 ! A real gent he was.

cheersIain

I also had a meeting with Jimmy in 1980, although I had known him all my life, as my father was chairman of Blakes and they worked very closely together, as friends.

He had been an aviator before he came to the Broads and the famous bluebird emblem on the boats was shamelessly "nicked" from BOAC, for whom he was a pilot.

I was at Barton Regatta with Evening Flight, and noticed that Jimmy was also moored on the broad with his family, on holiday in a hire boat. Next morning I got in our little launch and came alongside to say hello, also to say that I was on the way to Barton Turf to get some milk and the papers, and could I get some for him too? He said yes please.

When I got back, he was waiting with a signed and annotated copy of his new book "The Thousand Day Battle" which is one of the definitive histories of the bomber bases of the US 8th Air Force in East Anglia. That is the sort of gentleman he was.

8 hours ago, BroadScot said:

JA, I may be wrong, but, I have a feeling one of those boats ended up on Loch Lomond when JH was in charge up here !

I have a feeling I saw one moored at either Tarbet or Luss.

cheersIain

You would have. There were quite a few based on the Calendonian Canal as well. The hull was far better suited to the scottish lochs and they were really popular. The french canals also saw quite a fleet

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I also had a meeting with Jimmy in 1980, although I had known him all my life, as my father was chairman of Blakes and they worked very closely together, as friends.

He had been an aviator before he came to the Broads and the famous bluebird emblem on the boats was shamelessly "nicked" from BOAC, for whom he was a pilot.

I was at Barton Regatta with Evening Flight, and noticed that Jimmy was also moored on the broad with his family, on holiday in a hire boat. Next morning I got in our little launch and came alongside to say hello, also to say that I was on the way to Barton Turf to get some milk and the papers, and could I get some for him too? He said yes please.

When I got back, he was waiting with a signed and annotated copy of his new book "The Thousand Day Battle" which is one of the definitive histories of the bomber bases of the US 8th Air Force in East Anglia. That is the sort of gentleman he was.

I never knew Jimmy that well personally, he was more dads friend but the one thing that struck me was his absolute total enthusiasm for whatever he was involved in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

If you are referring to James Hoseason ,  he was just a true gent, sadly missed.   If there was a problem he rang you to sort it out, unlike today.     We had spent a week on the Caledonian Canal and I wrote to him with regard to the toilet operation on our boat (it was a bit archaic) and he phoned me back, bless him.   Next time we went again , to our surprise a box of chocolates was waiting at the yard.   Nice touch.

Hi Monica, 

Indeed it was JH and it was to apologise for the letter sent to me from one of his office staff at head office Sunway House. It had been a poor follow up to my original letter of complaint, funny enough about the boat that Captain Joshie now owns, BRAVEHEART. It was then, Ritaline1.

So yes, most definately a real gent !

cheersIain

19 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Bah, where did this come from & how do I get rid of it?

By the way Jimmy had one firm policy that really should exist to this day if it doesn't already, yard owners were expected to spend weekends on their own boats, sorting out problems like where fire extinguishers were placed for example.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

You're right JM, only recently pensioned off. Richardsons had Eastern Gem, previously named Modern Gem. They still have several of the larger 46 foot version (White Champagne, Pink Champagne, Alcapulco, Challenger class) which will remain for a good few years I feel.

Don't reckon that they owe Richardson's much change then!

What happened to Jimmy's 20 year hire boat life I wonder?

11 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Don't reckon that they owe Richardson's much change then

The cheap ones (standard glass rather than tinted and rubber buffers instead of oak etc) were fitted out on the Thames and financed by investment companies looking for a fast return. Those boats were hitting the water finished for under £25K (early 1980's). For that they were carpeted everywhere and used lots of furniture from MFI but they served their purpose well.

17 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

The cheap ones (standard glass rather than tinted and rubber buffers instead of oak etc) were fitted out on the Thames and financed by investment companies looking for a fast return. Those boats were hitting the water finished for under £25K (early 1980's). For that they were carpeted everywhere and used lots of furniture from MFI but they served their purpose well.

Especially if they are still working. Don't suppose that they were ever intended to last for more than thirty years in business.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

we had Premier Gem, Modern Gem (renamed Eastern Gem) and Top gems, 

we also had the shorter versions we named  'Crusader"

i think more than one 40 came from Loch Lomond,  along with the the Crusaders, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1