Times Up / Alphacraft Auction

Mondeoman

I just  think the whole thing is very sad.I hope it can be sorted soon.Lets hope also that the yard is put to good use.Like many we like the southern  broads,because  it is quite  however  I fear that the hire trade in the south  could  die out I hope not.We gained our love of boating with alpha and silverline

Ian

• Like 5

On 16/09/2016 at 10:30 AM, NorfolkNog said:

Ha ha, sorry folks, no chance I could probably afford the fenders. It will be a nice boat once done up. I'm just waiting for the lottery :-)

Boating WITHOUT winning the Lottery?............................ You must be joking, or thinking of buying into a syndicate boat Howard :naughty: ?.

• Like 1

Joking aside, some of these boats would have made good syndicate boats. The big problem is somebody somewhere would have to invest heavily on re-furbing them first, then have the task of selling them to prospective owners. 

Several months back, i passed on the details of Lightning to a well respected forumite re syndicate boaing, but unfortunarely, Lightning is too big for he and his good lady, so i passed on details of Gooseander. Gooseander is the ONLY 2 berth syndicate boat on the Broads, so some of the smaller boats would be an ideal way to fill a need for others of a similar size and berthage in the syndicate market, but as i mentioned above, they would require a considerable amount of initial investment.

• Like 2

We've thought about syndicate boats but not yet convinced ourselves that it would be a better option than hiring. Having said that I think there was a share came up in Goosander recently and we were tempted to give it serious consideration. I hadn't realised that it's the only 2 berth syndicate boat - it certainly would have been more like the kind of thing we are used to hiring.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SwanR said:

We've thought about syndicate boats but not yet convinced ourselves that it would be a better option than hiring. Having said that I think there was a share came up in Goosander recently and we were tempted to give it serious consideration. I hadn't realised that it's the only 2 berth syndicate boat - it certainly would have been more like the kind of thing we are used to hiring.

Hi Jean, 

If you want to PM me regarding syndicate sharing, I have over 16 years of experience both from a shareholders point of view and from managing our syndicate since 2011. So I know of the benefits and the pitfalls to watch out for.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Thanks Alan, I may well do that. We're considering a number of options at the moment. Money in the bank certainly isn't making anything and interest rates don't look like going up any time soon. Hubby is retired and I would really like somewhere to get away to at weekends. Working and living in the same town whilst convenient means that you never get a change of scenery. 

• Like 1

On 18/09/2016 at 6:07 PM, SwanR said:

Thanks Alan, I may well do that. We're considering a number of options at the moment. Money in the bank certainly isn't making anything and interest rates don't look like going up any time soon. Hubby is retired and I would really like somewhere to get away to at weekends. Working and living in the same town whilst convenient means that you never get a change of scenery. 

But money in the bank, however cheap a commodity re. Interest Rates, is money in the bank, available when you need it. If tied up it is not available. 

We have a very small cruiser which we have enjoyed for the last eight years. I have been tempted to upgrade but why? I only live 20 minutes away so go home if it looks unsettled. Friends have said buy a bigger one! 

But in January of this year my wife of 46 years cancer returned. This year I have had less than 2 hours actually using our Viking 20. But I have a considerable amount in the bank and Gov. Bonds. I can afford cleaners, carers, private wards, gardeners and drivers. Financial does not even appear on my radar with so many other problems, if we need another type of car I will just go and buy one. 

That is difficult if you have your money tied up in "Things like Boats"

• Like 2

Too late to edit. But what I wished to impart is " as we get older, life is less certain" whatever you have achieved in financial terms, be it large or small it is vital in retirement to have a substantial amount of that sum liquid. (And I dont mean Vintage Burgundys).

• Like 3

I appreciate your comments there ChrisB and wish your wife well. The future is hard to guess. Unpredictable. Hard to know how much you need as a safety net until something hits you. And how do you balance that against making the most of what you have while you can.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...