Rulan Rudder Indicator

So, a new one on me - the 'Rulan Indicator'.  I've never heard of this until a video I saw showed a chap using one and a look on Google surprised me with their value.

It appears you stick the indicator on the centre hub of your wheel, and using gravity and what I can only assume is witch craft (since there is no wires, batteries or senders)  plots the angle the rudder has moved either to port or starboard.

Usually, rudder angle indicators are not cheap, require a gauge, wiring, sender unit on tiler arm and some 12v power for good measure - so is this perhaps too good to be true? Has anyone used a Rulan Indicator before and how accurate might they be?

39300.jpg

Link: https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/rudder-position-indicator.html

I picked up a KUS rudder gauge and sender from ebay for about £30 if my memory serves.

Granted it did come from Hong Kong but fitting was simple enough.  

I mounted the sender over the rudder stuck on a piece of ply and then centralised the sender arm to the rudder arm using a thin steel rod fixed into 2 thickness's of ply then I firmly araldited it to the rudder arm.  

Works an absolute treat, I could have drilled the rudder arm to accept the steel rod but access isnt great so I used araldite expecting it to come away at some stage, that was over 2 years ago!  I replaced a steering hose recently and it was still firmly fixed in place. 

I thought it may be handy when you have moored stern on, then the following morning you wonder 'is the rudder straight' and a glance down would let you know.  Anyway, it would be of no use on Broad Ambition, since our wheel does not have a flat hub to stick the Rulan Indicator on to which is needed.

3 hours ago, Wildfuzz said:

I look over my shoulder at the angle of the outboard!!!!!

If it's pointing right, we're going left. If it's pointing left we are going right. Up in the air, then we've hit the bank. If it's not there...someone's nicked it! :naughty:

• Like 4

Robin - back in the restoration days in our local 'Boat Shed' a rudder indicator was discussed - I got outvoted. However as you are aware on 'B.A's helm the ammeter dial is redundant.  Yes it is there and lights up but it is not wired up.  This was done as we have that electronic display voltmeter / amp counter display panel that is far better.  However if Vetus does a rudder angle indicator that is the same size as the other gauges  . . . . . . .

Griff

• Like 1

Vetus do make such a thing, but I can see why you were outvoted - the gauge alone varies from what I have found £179.00 to £240.00.

Next you need the Vetus rudder position sensor and that is an additional £240.00 (its also not water tight so must not be located in a wet environment).

I say leave as.

• Like 1

Vetus do make such a thing, but I can see why you were outvoted - the gauge alone varies from what I have found £179.00 to £240.00.

Next you need the Vetus rudder position sensor and that is an additional £240.00 (its also not water tight so must not be located in a wet environment).

I say leave as.

So what you are saying is,   We purchase and fit wi-out telling anyone?

Griff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Thats exactly the product I described fitting to my boat earlier in the thread. 

Ahhhh ha, well done that man, given my an idea how to mount it now so thanks for that. Good value for money aint they compared to the vetus offering and the sender unit is quite substantially built. Like you I have hydraulic steering and the reason that they never quite center again is because of fluid leakage past the pump in the wheel unit, quite normal. However on my baot it is dual steer so wherever the last used helm leaves the rudder, if you use a different helm position it picks up from where the last helm left off and therefore throws a centre marker on the wheel -  out straight away

Turks heads were used on the sailing ships of old in the roayl navy to indicate midships position on the rudder as usually they were anything up to 15 full turns of the wheel hard over to hard over.

Rulan indicators are quite simple. You have a swinging counterweight not dissimilar to a self winding watch. When you turn the wheel the counterweight alwas stays at the bottom and a clever gear rack moves the pointer accordingly, no wigglies, no electric string,no batteries -  just good old newtons law....lol.

here endeth the sermon :-)  sorry if I am teaching people to suck eggs..........

ttfn

Trev

Ere,  Robin - I quite like the look of the  KUS  unit / setup.  but what has got me thinking it is a stainless steel bezel.  Now as you are aware the vetus units the actual bezels are 'chromed' plastic - cheap as chips and the chrome finish keeps wearing off and we have to replace the blasted things.  I'm wondering if  'KUS'  would supply just the bezels only and will they fit our vetus gauges? - Just a thought

Griff