Electricity At Moorings

tjg1677

16 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

in all honesty Matt, I think it's a lot more than that. As I said, we're using a lot less electric, but paying double for it. It's almost 3 - 4 times the price, or so it seems. Maybe it's time for the BA to be made publically accountable?.

There is a simple way to stop paying double for it........................................................................................

Don't plug in then the cost is zero

Charlie :hardhat:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

How do you cook then if you use no gas?

We eat in 5* Michelin restaurants of course. Plenty of them on the Thames as it happens lol.

We wish, no, we are day boating at the moment, take the Grandson and a picnic with us.

We do have a two burner cooker, with grill and oven, but not been used since November lol I have tested the flame colour and checked it over, so it is ready lol.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Matt said:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT 

Please return your used cards so they can be recharged!

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news-and-publications/news/new-electric-boat-charging-pillars-and-cards

Releasing a statement before hand like this would have saved much speculation and confusion.

Im still not convinced this is a suitable application for re chargeable technology.  Its not much use to the end user as you only put £1 on at a time and therefore can only recharge 1 card £1 at a time. 

The disposible paper cards were more suited to being used for £1 at a time and I imagine the cost of them was miniscule compared with the plastic ones. 

• Like 2

So this begs all kinds of questions.

Since they are going to be reusing the cards are they now going to go round to all the posts and change the unit charge again. The current charge wrongly allowed the BA to reclaim the cost of the card by increasing the unit charge. If the cards are being returned and recharged they would be compounding this error by charging you each time you use the same card.

Will they be refunding each person 22.5p if they return a card, but don't want it recharged or a replacement?

How will they refund those people ripped of at the higher price if they now lower the price per unit?

A total cock up from start to finish by a very inept authority.

• Like 3

So what encouragement are we getting to save and pass on the used cards or have them 'recharged' at the office. New or old are going to cost the same aren't they. 

The statement from the BA smells of them being found in the wrong and now trying to save money from a cock up due to lack of research.

Colincheers

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Islander said:

So what encouragement are we getting to save and pass on the used cards or have them 'recharged' at the office. New or old are going to cost the same aren't they. 

The statement from the BA smells of them being found in the wrong and now trying to save money from a cock up due to lack of research.

Colincheers

I could not agree more , if the man in the street knows the rules then a government quango should its not that difficult really , the lack of research and knowledge is really very worried considering they are playing with tax payer's money , but hey ho business as usual I guess .

Having just used Whitlingham moorings electric posts so far ok. Arrived to find 65p credit on no:1 post, added another £1 card to meter and display went up to £1.65p. No problem. Added extra so SWMBO can keep warm as she has arthritis.  Returned 24hrs ish later having had a great day out with the family, too find loads of room, so moored up to find, posts reading zero , promptly waved a new card across meter to get 99p, added another just in case  too £1.99p. We left today, having waited for the tide until 11:30 to get under Thorpe bridge, having left over a £1.00 on the meter.  
I think this is a small price to pay for mains power hookup for free mooring. 
We had a wonderful weekend with grandchildren from Hampshire that we only see once or twice a year. Priceless.

Colincheers

p.s. Just to say when we left there was enough room to moor 3 or 4 boats unlike Bramerton where there were several moored 2 deep.

• Like 7

What you mean you didnt have your fan heater/hair dryer/vacuum cleaner on full blast just to make sure you didnt leave any credit on the meter?!

Islander you have restored my faith in people.

(only for today mind dont get overexcited!!) 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, dnks34 said:

What you mean you didnt have your fan heater/hair dryer/vacuum cleaner on full blast just to make sure you didnt leave any credit on the meter?!

Islander you have restored my faith in people.

(only for today mind dont get overexcited!!) 

If i had known I could have popped over and given the boat a quick once over with the Dyson :-)

Well being on the boat at the moment, yesterday I found my stash of electric cards, a total of 5 unused, now, how many extension leads placed end to end will it take to reach our boat in Oxford on the Thames lol...?

Well could ths be my £5 incentive to consider hiring a boat on the Broads soon?

Well we have managed one night on board, wouldn't take much effort to take that extra step.

Richard

• Like 1

Hi Dnks34, I'm sure I made someone's day when they found it. Probably one of the last boats to leave Jenners on the 1st.

Having now used these new meters the top 2 are ok but the bottom one means getting on your knees to read the meter, not something you want to be doing in the wet.

Secondly, you do not need to place your electric card absolutely flat against the meter. Holding the right hand end of the card and touching the other end on the meter sensing area brought the green successful easily on without any danger of loosing the card in the meter post.

All in all, we had a great weekend with the family and a positive result with the electric posts.

Colincheers

• Like 3

On 28/04/2017 at 5:28 PM, kfurbank said:

So this begs all kinds of questions.

Since they are going to be reusing the cards are they now going to go round to all the posts and change the unit charge again. The current charge wrongly allowed the BA to reclaim the cost of the card by increasing the unit charge. If the cards are being returned and recharged they would be compounding this error by charging you each time you use the same card.

Will they be refunding each person 22.5p if they return a card, but don't want it recharged or a replacement?

How will they refund those people ripped of at the higher price if they now lower the price per unit?

A total cock up from start to finish by a very inept authority.

Good news the rate per unit is now set at 15.37p , not sure if all posts have been altered but those at whitlingham have , sadly no statement from BA as to this though , still those that believed the charging for cards was wrong have been proven correct as far as including it in the unit cost .

Problem now is all this extra work resetting posts etc will be charged no doubt to toll payer's .

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2017 at 4:31 PM, dnks34 said:

Releasing a statement before hand like this would have saved much speculation and confusion.

Im still not convinced this is a suitable application for re chargeable technology.  Its not much use to the end user as you only put £1 on at a time and therefore can only recharge 1 card £1 at a time. 

The disposible paper cards were more suited to being used for £1 at a time and I imagine the cost of them was miniscule compared with the plastic ones. 

According to  the guy at Yarmouth YS ,  the old card was about 10p and the new about 25p to produce.    I handed  him all of our old cards.

18 minutes ago, Matt said:

IMG_2564.JPG

Recycling now in place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea whitlingham has had them installed too , not a bad idea really if a little flimsy .

Regarding whitlingham and electric Do Not  use the 32 amp socket on the post nearest to the railway bridges at Thorpe it is faulty and has been for months , its been reported by myself and I believe others since back in April ( I guess I'll have to report it  again tomorrow ) used some poor boater's 2 cards in under 2 hrs ! N yet nothing was switched on on the boat , it also goes into debit which shouldn't happen currently -29p but has been to - 43p in the past .

That aside I haven't seen any of the new cards discarded on the ground unlike the old ones that were left lying around sometimes , all that is needed now is the other modifications that BA's JP outlined that were going to happen and everything is back to normal .

6 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Yea whitlingham has had them installed too , not a bad idea really if a little flimsy .

Regarding whitlingham and electric Do Not  use the 32 amp socket on the post nearest to the railway bridges at Thorpe it is faulty and has been for months , its been reported by myself and I believe others since back in April ( I guess I'll have to report it  again tomorrow ) used some poor boater's 2 cards in under 2 hrs ! N yet nothing was switched on on the boat , it also goes into debit which shouldn't happen currently -29p but has been to - 43p in the past .

That aside I haven't seen any of the new cards discarded on the ground unlike the old ones that were left lying around sometimes , all that is needed now is the other modifications that BA's JP outlined that were going to happen and everything is back to normal .

Someone mentioned 32 Amp socket outlets, so I will mention again, if you use an adaptor 32 Amp plug to 16 Amp socket, that it MUST be fitted with either a 15 or 16 amp fuse ( or lower). Otherwise it is illegal. 

You are plugging in equipment rated at 16 amps, plug, socket, cable into a system that can supply 32 amps or more. A potential overload hazzard.

Richard