Electricity At Moorings

tjg1677

It might be a good idea to list where you can get these cards from. It`s also worth remembering that WRC have their own system, and the BA cards won`t work in them. We bought a bunch 3 years back from the shop in Loddon, and also a few from the quay ranger at Reedham.  However, it would be great to know, possibly on a locked thread, of ALL outlets around the broads that sell them. 

21 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

By all accounts the Broads Authority have advised the tourist centers to swap the old cards, how this will work in practice is anyone's guess.

Regards

Alan

I walked in and said "can I exchange my old cards for the new cards?". She said "yes" and we exchanged.

Simples!! :-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I walked in and said "can I exchange my old cards for the new cards?". She said "yes" and we exchanged.

Simples!! :-)

I posted mine to the BA on Monday.  It will be interesting to see if they come back before our next trip up there on 22nd.

On 07/04/2017 at 7:57 PM, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

It`s also worth remembering that WRC have their own system, and the BA cards won`t work in them.

I went to WRC Tuesday tried all my old cards then my new contactless cards then realised they have they're own cards. I'm getting quite a collection of cards onboard. The boat next to me loaded up £4 electric and used 38p overnight then left at first light.

Branden

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Poppy said:

Perhaps all should attempt to use 40% less.........

Why?.

Why do people bang on about using less of something when it`s there to be used?. I think it`s a disgraceful con to quietly up the charges of something by 40%, and then say use less. No, if you want to increase prices, increase it by an index liked rate, which is still more than a lot of peoples wages. 

Greedy B.....ds, that`s all.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2017 at 7:37 PM, Paladin said:

That's because the price per unit has risen from 15p on the old posts to 21p on the new ones.

But surely that's illegal?  Ofgem specifically states (in para 1) that .

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/74486/11782-resaleupdateoct05.pdf

Can someone more worldly than me please advise?

• Like 1

Re Ofgem's dictate very clearly we need to know the unit cost for the BA and the unit cost for the boater. If the difference is greater than Ofgem allow then clearly it is a matter that needs looking into. However I fear that the BA will insist that the high cost of providing the service has impacted on the subsequent charge. I would imagine that the cost of provision is enormous. On the other hand as it's an income stream for the BA and if an excessive 'profit' is being made then it's a matter that could benefit from comment and possible intervention by Ofgem. 

Back to question one, perhaps one of us could ask the BA to comment.

• Like 1

Just now, Poppy said:

The rules surely allow for a charge including installation and maintenance of the 'hardware'?  These posts ( and their updates) don't come out of thin air you know.... 

But they chose to update the b****y posts, Pops..... I certainly didn't ask them to!    :pcwhack:

• Like 1

I have just sent this off to the BA:

Dear Sir/Madam. 

Would you please inform me of the unit cost of electricity supplied to the Broads Authority for bankside supply to boats and also the subsequent unit cost of that electricity to boat users?

Regards, Peter Waller.

On a personal perspective I do feel that the user rather than the general toll payer should pay for this service but then I am also acutely aware that the BA has been seeking out further means of boosting their income stream.

• Like 1

Reading further into that Ofgem document, it seems that Ofgem state that any costs incurred due to the supply infrastructure, e.g the posts themselves, cabling, maintenance and supply must be met by an alternative funding stream and not from an increase in the unit price to the end user?

I stand to be corrected if this is not the case  

• Like 2