Booked My First Broads Holiday

HemsbyPie

Well I've finally done it, booked my first get-away on the Broads in early October, I have been thinking about doing it for a couple of years now.

The wife is determined she will feel sea sick so just went for a long weekend rather than a week, and opted for a cheaper option (Silver Gem) in case we have to abandon ship in heavy weather (read : she actually does feel sick)

Anyone have experience of this boat? She looks a little "retro" but seems to have a nice seating area at the bow (for red wine drinking & star gazing)

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

Well if you do need rescuing, I guess you will have the direct number and get special treatment - and a lot of stick taken out of you :facepalm:

For a long weekend I think any of the boats will be good enough. 

Will be interesting to see if your good lady does get sea sick though.

I'd rather stay out there for the rest of my days than make that call - I would never live it down!! 

12 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Yes, we have hired Silver Gem in the past, plenty of room for two! The middle heads is a tad roomier than the stern one from memory. Enjoy your break, hopefully SWMBO remains sick free!!!:party:

cheersIain

There is going to be 4 of us, plus a dog! Don't anticipate space being an issue, but why don't Richardsons put more pictures of their boats online? 

And what is SWMBO? :shocked

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HemsbyPie said:

I'd rather stay out there for the rest of my days than make that call - I would never live it down!! 

There is going to be 4 of us, plus a dog! Don't anticipate space being an issue, but why don't Richardsons put more pictures of their boats online? 

And what is SWMBO? :shocked

She Who Must Be Obeyed ! = SWMBO:naughty:

I have just looked up Richardsons' site and I think that is an excellent choice for an off-season, all weather holiday on a boat which will go under all the bridges.

I also know that brand of cooker very well. They are the best you can get, on a holiday boat.

I hope you have a great holiday - you deserve it!

Actually SWMBO is not from Rumpole of the Bailey( although Rumpole used it a lot), It's much older than that, it's from

Henry Rider Haggard's 1886 novel "She, A History of Adventure"

And since Sir Henry Rider Haggard, was born in Bradenham in Norfolk, It's a good Norfolk Expression.....

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I have just looked up Richardsons' site and I think that is an excellent choice for an off-season, all weather holiday on a boat which will go under all the bridges.

I also know that brand of cooker very well. They are the best you can get, on a holiday boat.

I hope you have a great holiday - you deserve it!

Many thanks - I think the only bridge we will be going under is Ludham, and possibly Acle! Good news on the boat, I picked it as there are 2 bedrooms and 2 toilets which seemed handy - and it has a nice seating area at the bow for cheese on biscuits and red wine!!

20 hours ago, Gracie said:

Totally agree with Vaughan, you certainly deserve a break.........word of advice though, you must not cruise after dark, you might find yourself having to call the Hembsy Life Boat Crew :naughty:

They have already threatened to turn up for tea and bacon rolls one the Sunday morning... I will be trying my hardest to avoid them for the rest of the time!!

• Like 3

Congratulations on taking the plunge and booking your first boating holiday :)

You asked about views on the boat you booked - Silver Gem - and please don't fret with what I am going to say, but it has a bit too much yellow Formica for my eyes - and I am worried as a newbie your good lady might find it a tad too 'retro'.

I am not sure your exact dates, but the same boat with just a slightly different interior - in a far more warm natural wood modern fit out, with newer cooker and newer engine for the same cost is Cofu. Have a look here: http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/corfu/

Should it be available for your dates, and you and your wife wish to plop for it - I know Richardson's would be happy to do a swap. 

All the above said, I am a bit 'nerdy' when it comes to boats so notice and care about things like the type of lights a boat may have when everyone else does not give much thought - they light up is all they want - so this is very much my opinion.  These boats though have more of a 'v' hull than other forward steer boats so I think handle better are a bit lower in air draft and easy to get on and off of due to their low freeboard.

Regardless of the boat you have, it is all part of being on the water - taking it easy and my biggest bit of advise is not to have a plan but take it as it comes.  I often will go to sleep when on a boating trip and wake with no idea what to do or where to go and get the map and think 'this looks nice' and head there and you really do get a sense of winding down.

8 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Congratulations on taking the plunge and booking your first boating holiday :)

You asked about views on the boat you booked - Silver Gem - and please don't fret with what I am going to say, but it has a bit too much yellow Formica for my eyes - and I am worried as a newbie your good lady might find it a tad too 'retro'.

I am not sure your exact dates, but the same boat with just a slightly different interior - in a far more warm natural wood modern fit out, with newer cooker and newer engine for the same cost is Cofu. Have a look here: http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/corfu/

Should it be available for your dates, and you and your wife wish to plop for it - I know Richardson's would be happy to do a swap. 

All the above said, I am a bit 'nerdy' when it comes to boats so notice and care about things like the type of lights a boat may have when everyone else does not give much thought - they light up is all they want - so this is very much my opinion.  These boats though have more of a 'v' hull than other forward steer boats so I think handle better are a bit lower in air draft and easy to get on and off of due to their low freeboard.

Regardless of the boat you have, it is all part of being on the water - taking it easy and my biggest bit of advise is not to have a plan but take it as it comes.  I often will go to sleep when on a boating trip and wake with no idea what to do or where to go and get the map and think 'this looks nice' and head there and you really do get a sense of winding down.

Only one loo on Corfu, plus, I have hired its sister boat Majorca, you require to be a gymnast to enter the mid cabin bed ! Very tight entry looks wide on the plan. I would stay with Silver Gem, if the yellow is strong wear sunglasses !:naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/10/2016 at 8:52 PM, BroadScot said:

The burgers at the New Inn are huge ! Hope you tried them ?

cheersIain

I did indeed go for the burger which (coupled with a couple of beers) quickly induced a food coma... Ate at the Stokesby Ferry last night which I can highly recommend (although I wouldn't recommend trying all of the Adnams spirits like I did in one sitting, was a little grizzly this morning)

• Like 6

5 hours ago, HemsbyPie said:

Early start at Stokesby this morning, starting to understand this boating lark...

Early mornings are the best time of day to be out on the rivers - we're usually up earlier on the boat than we are at home! :naughty:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SwanR said:

Early mornings are the best time of day to be out on the rivers - we're usually up earlier on the boat than we are at home! :naughty:

It was great travelling early - was like we had our own river! 

Just a few more snaps from today at St Bennets, found a wild mooring tonight just past barton Turf, great experience! Will be sad to hand our trusty vessel back over tomorrow :Sailing

IMG_2234.JPG

IMG_2235.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

• Like 8

20 hours ago, SwanR said:

Stunning photo of the rainbow over the river. :bow

So glad to read that you have been enjoying your time afloat. :)

I have never seen as many rainbows in one weekend, the weather was so changeable, I grew fond of the sound of rain on the roof - rather comforting!

Last pictures of our break attached, now at home (a mere 20 minutes from the boat yard). We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and are already planning a trip next year

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

• Like 11