Jay from Maffett Cruisers

Broads01

I spoke to john at maffetts a couple of weeks ago jays engine and gearbox has been fully reconditioned thats why it wasnt hired out this year i havent seen inside yet but he said it will be ready for hire next season

• 5 weeks later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Simon, Jay has also had a complete re-paint too. I think she was one of Bill Maxteads "riverine" fleet as she had a burgundy coloured hull with cream upperworks. I believe the new colour scheme is a white hull with cream top and grey decks, though i`m not exactly 100% on it. I looked over their original Jay before they sold it to Sandersons of Reedham, and it had a huge amount of interior space, and a huge aft cockpit. Don`t forget, Jay is built on the same hull as the Aquafibre/Broom 32, but with a lot less crammed into it. The result is one of, if not, THE largest aft cockpit hire cruiser there`s ever been on the broads. I also believe the interior is being re-furbished with new cushions and curtains etc, so if you hire her for a week early in the year, you will be getting a vertually new boat. Simon, what did your dad think of Merlin?. If my wife and i come up to the Broads on our own, we will be hiring from John and Linda again, but we don`t know whether to have Swallow for a 3rd time or have Merlin, would your dad recommend her?. Regards........... Neil.

Hi Neil. Yes I saw Jay from the outside when we were at Loddon in August, looked very smart. I knew the interior was being done up but in the ned I decided it was too much of an unknown to book & I've opted to pay more at Summercraft instead. My Dad was very happy with Merlin. I think it does depend on your expectations because he didn't need much space being on his own but even he admitted it is a very small boat by modern standards. You can't argue with the price though, especially when fuel is included.

• 2 months later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

WOW. ...............What an absolute stunner.The colour scheme looks spot on, and the burgundy canopy sets off the waterline just right. It just looks so sleek, and that large aft cockpit will be great to sit out or do some fishing from. I wonder if it`s available in June or September. I`d better get on the phone. Thanks dominicaz. Regards to all...........................Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Neil, god it sounds like i`m talking to myself.John and Linda had another Jay which was exactly the same as this one, but sold it about 7 or 8 years ago to Sanderson Marine at Reedham, and she had a blue top. Was that the one you were thinking of?, because this new Jay they bought from (i believe) Bill Maxtead from Loddon boatyard. Where he bought from i`ve no idea, so you may be correct, although the twin cabin you mentioned is in fact only a single, and was the same on their original Jay. I looked over her in their yard, so i know that`s so, but it could have been converted at an earlier yard. I`m not 100% sure of this, but i thought they bought the originalk one from a Broads yard too. Next time i speak to them, i`l ask. Regards.................... Neil. (not you). :lol:

Hi Neil

The info is correct... both the former Jay and this Jay were originally with Kris Cruisers as NeilB says as Lady Pauline & Carina. Both were bought by Broadland Riverine Boatcraft. One was only ran by them for a short time before Maffett's took her on, later selling it to Sandersons. Then after a few years, they more recently bought the other one from Riverine and worked on it last year ready for this year, as she had sat at Riverine unused the last few years, so was not in the best of nick.

All the best

Dan

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Dan, thanks for the info, That must meen Bill Maxtead converted the twin bunk cabins into singles, as i know the original Jay had a single berth in the centre cabin. The original Jay was a nice boat, but this new one seems to look so much better, which i can only put down to the colour scheme. I`ve never liked a boat with a blue superstucture, as it makes them look very plasticy (even though they are), almost like a Tonka toy, but this one with the cream over white looks a lot more subtle, even striking i would say. A big WELL DONE to John, Linda and the family for doing such a spectacular job. And apollogies to NeilB for doubting his word :bow:bow . Regards to all...................Neil (not NeilB)

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Simon, do you still have that photo on file somewhere, as i`d love a copy of it to put in a file on our PC, and also, i am considering putting up a thread on the forum for Maffett cruisers through the years and up to date. It`s a cracking picture, and really makes the boat stand out. Have you considerred getting in touch with John and Linda to see if they`d like to use it as the photo on their website?. Why not give them a call and find out. Regard.......................Neil.

Not sure if its a 38 or 42 Aquafibre alonside but the 42 also belonged to Kris Cruisers, she was Lady Sarah and I believe was originally from Norfolk Broads Yacht Company when they were based in Wroxham. Bill Maxted purchased 4 boats off Kris Cruisers back in the late ninties.