Ferry Marina - Some Facilities Closing

tjg1677

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Gone are the days when you couldn't buy land in the Hebridies if you weren't a crofter...

The young lady behind the bar and myself were the only two Scots in the Craignure Hotel when I was working on the Isle of Mull, everyone else there, had moved up from the London area.! That was in 1990.

cheersIain

I could say down in London most people  are not London born. Some years back where I was working .I was setting up lunch.Two staff from different  countries,were  talking,one said to me.Chef where do you come from.London I said.No chef where were you born.London.There was a look of disbelief on his face.

Ian

15 hours ago, BroadScot said:

The young lady behind the bar and myself were the only two Scots in the Craignure Hotel when I was working on the Isle of Mull, everyone else there, had moved up from the London area.! That was in 1990.

cheersIain

i was going a bit further back than that the 1970s....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having spoke to the people who run the cafe, pool and chippy its a case of economics. The pool is in need of repairs of which are considered too expensive to undertake. Plus the events that occurred at the Waveney river center in the summer with the tragic death of the child in the pool has left everyone a little uneasy even though through no fault of the Waveney center, I think was the last straw.

The chippy is not making money apparently and spends a lot of time idle so just not viable to keep it going .

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

I would imagine the chippy makes money in June-September and then not the rest of the year - It's in the wrong place to get passing trade from locals which is so vital to most Broads businesses.

Perhaps if the chippy were to serve their sushi & chips wrapped in copies of the Times then perhaps the Horning locals would support them throughout the year ;).

• Like 1

Must say whilst we have been on board the facilities have never really been busy as such.  Went over one evening and the chippy was shut so ended up having to go into Wroxham by car quickly to get some from there.  Went to take the kids for a swim on Saturday afternoon before we went home Sunday morning and it was closing (at 3.30 pm).  It has always appeared difficult to tell if it's open or shut, and although everyone that works in there is friendly and helpful, the food has always been ok it's a shame that it's not used by berth holders and visitors alike.  

Anyone know what exactly is supposed to be happening there as the letter says they are turning it into a 'berth holders lounge'. Wonder what that will bring us....?

Trouble is that other marina owners see what Ferry Marina is getting away with charging and start upping their own mooring charges to match, often without anywhere near the sort of facilities that the Ferry offers. Likewise, Ferry Marina may start out with the great intentions of providing additional facilities for moorers to justify their steep charges, but what's the betting that these buildings (or the space they occupy) eventually end up as additional holiday lets, like just about every other facility on the Ferry Marina site.

Grrrrrrrrr

Steve

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

So what facilities does the Ferry Marina actually offer?

When we were moored there this is all that was on offer:-

Electric posts 

Hose pipes at a number of locations

Gravel parking area

Small swimming pool that included showers & toilet and snack area (you had to be a member to use them).We were members but felt ill at ease using them.

Low level cameras from the single story roof for security.

Launderette with an attached toilet and single shower cubical (to be honest the only facilities we used)

Hard to get to fuel station and service area right at the back of the complex (only used once too much trouble)

No pontoon moorings so flooding was often an issue.

I think there was also a small shop that seemed never to be open back in 2001 to 2007.

Regards

Alan

Alan, yes the list seems about the same.  

I think the fuel berth is easier to get to now at the main entrance from the river where the offices and workshop is.  We can't use it with the current boat as its petrol though, so until I get the 33 there, Can't confirm that one!

the moorings I understand have been raised a bit? Still not floating pontoons, no.

I have been thinking on the pool/cafe situation and can see that it probably doesn't make money most of the year.  The pub next door does food, drinks, take away so the chippy isn't really going to get used by boats tied up by the pub or at the marina really and too far a walk from the village centre for locals to use. Similar for the cafe as the pubs open. The pool is a little addition over what other marinas offer on site and we have been in a few times, albeit still having to pay to use even as a berth holder.  (Whopping £1 off).  As we have 3 little ones, facilities was a big factor in our decision to come to ferry Marina.  The great kids play area in the pub garden and on site cafe and pool were the deciders, together with being close to the village and good local cruising.   We looked at the Waveney RC, but decided that apart from the great on site facilities, it was too far in the middle of nowhere for us right at this time. 

So what could replace it.....

no point in a 'members lounge' - a room with a few sofas, tv and bar -there's a big place next door if you want that, the ferry inn.

I have spent my drive up to Scotland yesterday and today pondering what could work there.  The only thing I can think of is a cafe/mini shop/small chandlery shop.  When we arrive at the boat there's nearly always something we have forgotten or we need to get a few things if we stay on the boat at the Marina.  This usually involves going up river to Wroxham and into the shops or as in the case last time I was in a hurry to sort dinner popping up by car.   Im sure it could also be handy to have a site shop for those hiring boats too, for milk, bread or for those that have forgotten the washing up liquid or sponge or shower gel etc etc.  A small chandlery maybe, with useful items, screws, fixings, fuses, wire, sealers, hose & hoseclips and such like that private boat owners may need.  I know there's another chandlery just across the way but it may work, as part of an overall on site shop.  And of course it would need to be open and look open so people went in there! 

What do you all think? 

Alan - you ask what Ferry actually has and to my simple mind, it probably has the best location of any marina on the Broads. I guess others may disagree but almost anywhere on the Northern Broads is a mere 2hr motor away, except above Barton which is a bit longer.

Facilities ok and as far as pontoon moorings are concerned it would be a total waste of money - I never not been able to get on or off my boat whatever the tide and apart from the road which is not theirs, but an Anglian Water issue which i understand  is still current, it is pretty good.

Chandlery isn't a bad idea, but that failed to save the one at Brooms, so this is probably a non starter too

To me any new facility would probably add very little, as it is just a matter of location, location, location!!

• Like 1