Broadsbeat Officers Appeal For Witnesses �

Wildfuzz

Broadsbeat officers are appealing for witness to come forward after more than nine crimes have been recorded at Hickling broad.

The crimes happened overnight between Friday 9 September and Saturday 10 September 2016 where several boat houses have been broken into. Five Outboard Engines have been stolen from the site and damage has been caused when the suspects have entered the properties.

Beat Manager for the Broads, PC Paul Bassham, said: "This is likely to have been a planned crime spree with Outboard Engines the intended target. We have started to see an increase in Marine related crime over the last month and would like to remind people to stay resilient. I would urge any members of the public who have information about this crime or witnessed any suspicious behaviour on the Broads to contact me.

"I would also like to reassure members of the boating community that we patrol the Broads regularly by both land and water and offer free crime prevention advice. As part of a number of tactics to tackle crime around the Broads we also offer Outboard Engine covers. These can be purchased from a number of Marine outlets around The Broads Network including where we are based at Hoveton Police station or by sending an email request to us.”

More information can be found on the Broadsbeat link via The Norfolk Constabulary website.

Anyone who may have witnessed the crimes, has information or wishes to join our Boatshield email alert, should contact PC Paul Bassham from the Broadsbeat team on 101 or on Broadsbeat@norfolk.pnn.police.uk.

Alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or via their anonymous online form at http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/.

• Like 1

Nice thought but if someone was standing on that jetty could you identify them...

To most people they see a CCTV camera and may take some form of security from having it there.  To a criminal after loot, they know a good system from bad, a fake from real and how high up or the angle to take it seriously - if there is no deterrent they can come and take their time - the only thing that may help is if they do such in the dead of night, there is little traffic about - people may hear something, a time a place - then from here a shop with a camera outside, glimpse of a passing car and so on to build a picture.  Every little bit of information helps. 

• Like 2

Yes although modern CCTV is very good identification "beyond reasonable doubt" can be problematic, but as you say Robin every little helps and it would give a definite time frame and maybe a type of craft, be it rib, wooden etc. A timely reminder with the end of the season coming not to be complacent about winter security.

S. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Nice thought but if someone was standing on that jetty could you identify them..

I dont know Robin if it is was you I expect we would all recognise you.  :facepalm:

Any deterrent is better than nothing at all.   We all know of quieter moorings where boats regularly get broken into because there are times when no one is around and these ne'er do wells know it.      They are in it for easy pickings.

Is it possible to have a crime sticky which is update by wild fuzz as crimes are committed iam sure people are more observant after a crime or if they have seen something suspicious they may think nothing of it as they may not of know a crime has been committed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John said:

Is it possible to have a crime sticky which is update by wild fuzz as crimes are committed iam sure people are more observant after a crime or if they have seen something suspicious they may think nothing of it as they may not of know a crime has been committed.

A crime sticky!!!!! Sounds like an offence on its own :norty:

• Like 2

On 19/09/2016 at 6:56 PM, John said:

13 hours ago, Wildfuzz said:

A crime sticky!!!!! Sounds like an offence on its own :norty:

One of the best crime detection and prevention devices I've found was indeed sticky. I was plagued by thieves who'd constantly target my house whenever I was away. At the time I was living in a back to back behind a mill. The passageway between the rear houses was blocked by a solid iron gate so the thieves would climb over the 8' wall behind my house to gain access. I liberally smeared axel grease across the top of my wall and over the inside of the wall, the wall already having a black coating from centuries of pollution. I also added a liberal coating of grease in a strip a couple of feet away from the wall.

Two weeks later I received some nocturnal visitors whilst I was away. My next door neighbour was awoken by a commotion and had called the police. Sprawled in the yard were two men both in their late forties one with concussion the other a broken ankle. Desperately trying to climb the wall but unable to get a grip on it was a teenager smeared in grease from head to foot. My neighbour told me the police were laughing hard when they arrived...even harder when they put the grease monkeys into an ambulance instead of their vehicles...although when they discovered a further two 'tar-babies' limping down the street they weren't too impressed.

I did receive a caution from the police...but the sergeant giving me the caution was laughing too hard for me to take it 'too' seriously. Apparently he'd not had to deal with any of the residue of my crime prevention, but I did have to be 'more careful when stripping down engines' in future.

• Like 6

Decades ago, I was advised by my ex police sergeant father in law, never to accept a police caution.

A caution stays on your record for life. If you ask them to arrest you, it would not be in the public interest to pursue it, and wouldn't go beyond the station sergeant, so you have no police record.

I've got a Police record.... "Walking on the Moon" lol....

Maybe Wildfuzz, could comment as to whether this is still the best action to take in these modern times.

Richard

18 minutes ago, Viking23 said:

Decades ago, I was advised by my ex police sergeant father in law, never to accept a police caution.

A caution stays on your record for life. If you ask them to arrest you, it would not be in the public interest to pursue it, and wouldn't go beyond the station sergeant, so you have no police record.

I've got a Police record.... "Walking on the Moon" lol....

Maybe Wildfuzz, could comment as to whether this is still the best action to take in these modern times.

Richard

I think it would be improper for me to offer advice on a generic level as each situation is different, however, legal advice is always available and free whilst in Police custody and is not linked to the Police or investigating officer in any way.

A caution is a formal warning that is given to a person who has admitted the offence. If the person refuses the caution then they will normally be prosecuted through the normal channels for the offence. Although it is not technically classed as a conviction (as only the Courts can convict someone) it can be taken into consideration by the Courts if the person is convicted of a further offence.

Cautions are covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and become spent immediately (apart from conditional cautions which will become spent after 3 months). Unless applying for particular types of work (see below), a person who has spent cautions does not have to disclose them to prospective employers, and employers cannot refuse to employ someone on the basis of spent convictions.

However, when applying for particular types of employment, for example, working with children or vulnerable adults, certain professions such as law, health care, and pharmacy, senior management posts within certain sectors and employment where matters of national security are involved, the application form will state that it is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. In these situations, you may need need to disclose your caution , and it may be disclosed on your DBS criminal records check.

Cautions will always remain on a person's record. There are only exceptional circumstances when a caution could be removed from a person's record and it is anticipated that such incidents will be rare. Examples of such possible circumstances are that it was found that the original arrest or sample was unlawful or where it was found beyond all doubt that no offence existed.

For a caution to be offered there needs to be enough evidence, and the suspect needs to admit the offence, and accept a caution if offered, and this would be for low level offences only.

S.

• Like 5

On 21 September 2016 at 9:52 AM, Wildfuzz said:

I think it would be improper for me to offer advice on a generic level as each situation is different, however, legal advice is always available and free whilst in Police custody and is not linked to the Police or investigating officer in any way.

A caution is a formal warning that is given to a person who has admitted the offence. If the person refuses the caution then they will normally be prosecuted through the normal channels for the offence. Although it is not technically classed as a conviction (as only the Courts can convict someone) it can be taken into consideration by the Courts if the person is convicted of a further offence.

Cautions are covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and become spent immediately (apart from conditional cautions which will become spent after 3 months). Unless applying for particular types of work (see below), a person who has spent cautions does not have to disclose them to prospective employers, and employers cannot refuse to employ someone on the basis of spent convictions.

However, when applying for particular types of employment, for example, working with children or vulnerable adults, certain professions such as law, health care, and pharmacy, senior management posts within certain sectors and employment where matters of national security are involved, the application form will state that it is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. In these situations, you may need need to disclose your caution , and it may be disclosed on your DBS criminal records check.

Cautions will always remain on a person's record. There are only exceptional circumstances when a caution could be removed from a person's record and it is anticipated that such incidents will be rare. Examples of such possible circumstances are that it was found that the original arrest or sample was unlawful or where it was found beyond all doubt that no offence existed.

For a caution to be offered there needs to be enough evidence, and the suspect needs to admit the offence, and accept a caution if offered, and this would be for low level offences only.

S.

Thank you Stuart, for spending some time explaining the current situation of what a caution actually means.

I would think that many folks on here will recall that information, if they or other friends or family ever find themselves in that situation.

So thank you very much.

Richard

• Like 1

It would appear the suspects used a small boat, possibly not their own to scoot around the Hickling and Potter areas of the Upper Thurne taking small HP outboards as they saw fit. Therefor if a small boat is seen or heard during the hours of darkness a call to 101 or even 999 would be appreciated, we would rather attend a call with good intentions if it turns out to be a genuine river user than miss an opportunity. The camera at Hickling has been checked and is a "live feed" only so no recording unfortunately.

A timely reminder to make your boats as secure as possible, don't make it easy to remove valuables!

S.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wildfuzz said:

It would appear the suspects used a small boat, possibly not their own to scoot around the Hickling and Potter areas of the Upper Thurne taking small HP outboards as they saw fit. Therefor if a small boat is seen or heard during the hours of darkness a call to 101 or even 999 would be appreciated, we would rather attend a call with good intentions if it turns out to be a genuine river user than miss an opportunity. The camera at Hickling has been checked.

A timely reminder to make your boats as secure as possible, don't make it easy to remove valuables!

S.

Stuart do the super duper outboard covers make any difference? As in have any engines been stolen with the cowl removed and a cover on? I guess they can still break them for spares as I assume anyone trying to buy a cowl would be reported?

obviously marking them would help, but does anyone know if there is a similar scheme for boat parts as motorbikes like the DNA marking system?

Just an idea here but it seems that the most common reported crime so far as boats is theft of out boards.

There also seems to be areas where their theft seems higher than other areas I presume because there are easier links to such places by road, and a higher proportion of small outboard powered boats to choose from.

Has the Police thought about using an operation whereby perhaps they could obtain cheaply outboards that are no longer in good working order but have the same cosmetically made to appear well looked after desirable models.

Then leave on a boat on a trailer somewhere - just off a main road, close to a staithe - not too obvious but  I am sure the people who carry out these crimes are 'scouting' about and would see such and think 'that is a good one to come back for' and then be stung when they go to nick it.

Even if it was done without physical officers there but some hidden cameras and a canister of SmartWater to go off when the thieves tamper with the engine.

Just some ideas.