Norwich, A Fine City!

JennyMorgan

3 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

Your just worried that the olde worlde christmas charm of Holt will be overshadowed by the showy spectacle of Norwich's northern lights .... Remind me ..... How tall is the Holt christmas tree?

Norwich .... bigger, taller, brighter, flashier, busier = BETTER!! :party1:

:taunt: :taunt:

cheers

Ray & Carole

• Like 2

That last post is on the nail - the policy to keep it mainly confined to one area works well and even I would still not hesitate to walk down POWs Road - I might demur a bit if asked to do it after 3 a.m. but the complaints about Norwich generally derive from those who have never been there, or perhaps visited it 50 yrs ago and expect it to be the same!!

Now I know its Norfolk, but thats a bit too much to ask. I am often out in the City quite late and cannot remember when I even saw trouble...! Although I could be talking it up!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, marshman said:

That last post is on the nail - the policy to keep it mainly confined to one area works well and even I would still not hesitate to walk down POWs Road - I might demur a bit if asked to do it after 3 a.m. but the complaints about Norwich generally derive from those who have never been there, or perhaps visited it 50 yrs ago and expect it to be the same!!

Now I know its Norfolk, but thats a bit too much to ask. I am often out in the City quite late and cannot remember when I even saw trouble...! Although I could be talking it up!!

I'm with you on this Marshman, i concur with erverything you said.

27 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

I think Norwich is still 'different', but POW (and the Riverside development, although to a much lesser extent nowadays) on a Friday / Saturday night has been like that for more than fifteen years now. It's one concentrated area, and I think away from that area it's still very much Norwich.

People often ask whether Norwich is worth a visit, and my answer would always be yes very much so - it's a Medieval city with culture coming out of every orifice... Just don't moor at the yacht station overnight.

Awwww, tut tut, mustn't exaggerate, there are one or two unsavoury orifices where exuding culture is an unlikely occurence! However I have to agree with both the sentiment and the advice.

I blame KFC ! They were from memory the first fast food outlet in POW Road.! If I cruise to the Yacht Station, I stay overnight, I have been once when footy was on at Carrow Road, and lived to type this reply. The media today will go to any length to make an average story sound breaking news special! 

I find the EDP  a very poor example of a regional paper IMHO. Instead of always knocking the area they SHOULD  be talking it up more often!

cheersIain

• Like 2

I spent yesterday in Norwich enjoying some retail therapy. A trip to the south has to include a stopover at the yacht station and a walk to the city centre. Actually, to be honest, I got the bus in and back so I didn't have to struggle walking back with my bags! I love Norwich and find it usually has everything I set out to get - and a lot more besides. It is 'a fine city' but I can imagine more appreciated by visitors than locals. Most places are like that. It was a lovely evening too, quite still, and the lights at Pull's Ferry and Bishop Bridge made it very atmospheric. The 16 swans gliding around helped as well. 

We have never had a problem overnight although, like others, we avoid Fridays and Saturdays.

• Like 3