Watery View

dredger

I think I ought to welcome you to the forum again, Dredger, as you can now see what you have dredged up, from the mysterious hypolimnion muck on the bottom of Wroxham Broad. If this is your first thread on the forum, it looks like a good one!

Timbo, I somehow knew that if I prodded your nest with a pointed stick I would get a good response!

This is fascinating and I have never considered it in this way. This must explain why Broads such as Wroxham and Barton have always had a "dead" bottom in terms of plant life whereas areas with more of a flow of current have clearer water and flowing weed. I always remember the weed-cutter that came through the reach in Thorpe about 4 times a year in the old days, when the water was crystal clear.

I totally agree about Gt Hoveton Broad. A sad loss to the whole area as it is at the moment, but surely it is not yet lost to future good management?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dredger said:

Bit technical but well explained, thanks. I don't think I'll be memorising that.

Don't worry Dredger It's only Vaughan who I give homework to! :naughty:

5 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

So, if I read Timbo's most excellent explanation correctly, more boats out on the network mixing the upper and lower layers of the water would be beneficial to the clarity of the rivers and broads? 

Now that sounds like a plan!

Not so much increase the number of boats JA...well not until they open up more of those areas they've fenced off to turn into cesspits. I can't be the only one that's noticed any area designated as 'boat free' is a glutinous sink hole devoid of wildlife and in need of large amounts of cash on a regular basis?

2 hours ago, BroadScot said:

Just add five barley loaves and two small fishes! Job done !

:shocked Feeding bread to ducks and releasing species into the Broads? Iain I'm shocked at such behaviour! Dr Doom will put you on his naughty step and stop you joining in with the hordes of twentyfive to thirty year olds enquiring about paddleboarding, bird watching and basket weaving.

U25s.jpg

• Like 5

I have been thinking about Timbo's temperature layers, and I can confirm this, in practice!

I have ended up standing on the bottom of Wroxham and Barton broads on several occasions, after capsizing when racing and waiting for the sailing club launch to arrive. Your feet go in the mud up past the ankles and you are left standing there with the water about shoulder height.

If only one could smoke in these circumstances it would be quite a pleasant way of spending a quarter of an hour, in perfect harmony with Broadland.

The point is, there is a definite difference between the temperature below the waist and the temperature above it. This had not occurred to me before as I assumed it was the effect of the sun on the surface, but it is true, all the same.

What Maurice Mynah is going to make of this post I don't know - perhaps we shall see. . . . .

• Like 5