Mudweighting At A Stern On Mooring

MauriceMynah

Mudweighting the bow at a stern on mooring has always struck me as a complete waste of time, but I do wonder... am I correct in this ?

First lets take a tidal mooring. Should the weight be deployed at the high water or at low water?  At high, it will just go slack (thus doing nothing) as the water goes down. If thrown over the bow at low water, it will drag up (but work a bit) until high water, when it will just go slack. throwing it out as far as one can makes only a marginal difference, 

On non tidal water, think about what you are asking the weight to do. To hold several tons of boat still from a side wind. Yeah, like it's going to do that !!!

Please advise ! :)

• Like 4

Hi John,

In many respects I agree with you, we all drop the mud weight when stern mooring (a few of us also drop the weights down in those area's we think it might be a good idea). In high winds when stern moored we also use warps from our middle cleats to help prevent the bows from being blown to Starboard (it always seems to be starboard for some reason). 

Regards

Alan

MM,

Like your thinking, but, we  had the auto jobbie one on Broadway,and I must say at Beccles YS it did hold us well in all states of the tide. Could it be where it plopped out from the bow, so the angle assisted it doing its job well ? 

For those of us with dodgey backs, I can highly recommend the press button approach to mud weighting !:party: Failing that, get the harbour master to do it for you or one of the staff! Preferably one who has not just had a hernia op!:facepalm:

cheersIain

• Like 2

The point about mud weighting while stern on moored on the river, is to stop the bows being pulled up or down river by the tide, this would put extra strain one or other of the stern cleats. If you have fenders between your stern and the bank just stern ropes will not hold you straight on the river. Also if you have alongside boats you cannot use springs to tie further up or down the bank to hold you straight.

The mud weight should be dropped well out,  before reversing to the bank to reduce the effect of tidal changes.

• Like 1

Sorry Mr Q sir, I cannot agree with that. If there is enough force to strain a cleat, how much force is being exerted on the mudweight? It cannot possibly hold.

The further away the mudweight is from the bow the more effective it might be stopping forward/aft movement (as long as the water level doesn't change) but the less effective it will be to stop port/starboard movement.

I accept that in places like Womack Water where the mud is deep, sticky and luscious, a mudweight dropped straight down will have an effect. This is proven by how much of a b*****d it is to get it back up in the morning, perhaps Ranworth is similar, but I can think of no other stern mooring where the mudweight serves any other purpose than bringing sludge on board.

• Like 1

It is not necessary in all situations, but can be very helpful.

At the Beccles Wooden Boat show Broad Ambition duly had her mud weight dropped - but to be much use, always throw it out away from the bow. If you just drop it straight down it is far easier to pull out of the mud  compared to if being tugged at by the boat at more of an angle.  This also can help when on a Broad so you may find less issues with dragging.

Back to Beccles - as the tide rose and fell, we adjusted the rope to ensure the weight held the bow from being swung in the blustery conditions to the left or right this it did very well which is the reason one puts the mud weight down at stern on moorings.

That said, many times I have seen  people duly drop their mud weight at the likes of Ranworth Staite or Womack Water then deploy all the rope and it does nothing at keeping their bow straight since the rope is slack. 

As to 'cleat strain' a cleat should be happy holding several tones of boat happily - for example the wind is pushing the boat from the bank then easing then rising and so the boat will pull at the cleats and relax and repeat if there is issues you need more reinforcement especially in GRP boats where some have very little under the cleat bolts. 

A 20kg mud weight hanging off a cleat will make no odds to it if there or not - and should said mud weight be stuck in the mud (as it should be)  it will pose no greater strain than if the boat was physically being held at a bank with the rope around a mooring post.

The only way such can cause issues to cleats is when a new higher force is introduced - like being towed - where then the cleat is being asked to hold not just the weight of the boat but also adding to this is the force the drag of the water is having which will cause the overall weight and force to be much greater than the cleat would encounter when the boat was berthed.

• Like 1

I agree with Robin, it's not always necessary but definitely useful. People do tend to automatically drop the mudweight when stern on and yet there are plenty of times I haven't felt the need. It's all about winds and tides I feel - the stronger they are, the more the mudweight is needed. Would I ever use a mudweight in Richardsons Marina? Unlikely. Would I use one at The Bell at St Olaves? Almost always.

• Like 4

For many it is a feel good factor. It is part of the overall ceremony of tying up the boat.

In the first instance a designated crew member during the stern on mooring stands in an imposing manner at the back of the boat. Men are not good at this, women are dismissive of any help that is offered. Instruction's are shouted to swivel neck at the helm. The helm is in a state of flux, unable to hear the instructions, completely disoriented plows relentlessly backwards. It is then, for no apparent reason, forward gear will be engaged. Within seconds the boat is back where it started.

The procedure is repeated. Several times. Eventually, a phenomenon known as a gift from the god Poseidon the boat, with a resounding thump, makes contact with the bank, accompanied by the sound of crockery falling out of cupboards and the kettle bouncing across the floor.

As the boat starts to bounce it's way back into the broad the crew member at the stern, invariably a lady slight of build, performs the leap of death to terra firma. Then follows the Geoff Cape moment. The tug of war. Nine stone versus four ton of Richardson's finest. Or a Barnes Bootiful.(as in Bernard Matthews).

In a desperate moment the young lady ties the boat up with a cow hitch. Or if of a different generation a knot which resembles a casting off which is favoured by those who knit.

The helm, having recovered from his ordeal inspects the mooring. In his infinite wisdom he will decree that the boat has been moored to the wrong post. Another post is selected. The effort of the crew member is disassembled after a great deal of trouble and the new post is presented with the knot of knots. With about fifteen feet of rope the helm has the ability to use his creative skills to create a work of art, his knotmanship to be admired by all. Several loops are made round the post, followed by a knot, or not. And another knot. Then the creation is subjected to an enormous tug. The tug of tugs. In reality it does nothing. It does nothing to tighten anything except test the post.

The knot master is presented with at least eight feet of spare rope. Waste not want not. Better to be safe than sorry. Knot after knot is added to the post together with several turns and hitches. After standing back and admiring his work of art the other post is given the same attention.

It is then, and only then, that the mud weight is deployed. A great heave, a large splash, and all is secured.

It is guaranteed that within ten minutes the helm will come out and check the mooring ropes. But never, ever, the manner in which the rope has been attached to the cleat...........if at all!

Does not really matter. The mud weight will hold.

Andrew.

Edited by Wussername
spelling.
  • Like 15

10 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Back to Beccles - as the tide rose and fell, we adjusted the rope to ensure the weight held the bow from being swung in the blustery conditions to the left or right this it did very well which is the reason one puts the mud weight down at stern on moorings.

And you did that all through the night..........?!

• Like 2

It was years before we finally got our own mudweight.  Until then, I just relied on a danforth anchor we aquired from the previous owner. When I managed to cruise from Ranworth to the Bure with that anchor deployed, I soon realised it was no good in those situations!

We always drop the mudweight at a stern on mooring if staying overnight - don't necessarily worry if we've just moored for a coffee stop or for lunch. It is something that the boatyards tell you to do when you are hiring. 

For some reason the mudweight on Rose Emblem was way heavier than any other we have known - or so I am told by my hubby whose job it always is to get the wretched thing up and down. An electric mudweight is something we are now on the lookout for but very few hireboats have them.

However contrary to Andrew's delightful observations, I always bring the boat into a mooring, hubby gives me very clear directions from the stern and he steps off to tie the ropes. Mind you, we did laugh at the bit about choosing a different post ... and tying umpteen knots around the post. As novice hirers we probably did something similar!

Nowadays the boats we see crashing into stern on moorings the most, tend to be day boats stopping for lunch outside the New Inn or at Ranworth Island - the person at the helm of those very often really doesn't seem to know what they are doing.

• Like 2