Unable To Get Fuel Or Pumpout This Afternoon At Brooms

ranworthbreeze

5 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

We can pump out along the whole of our quay; however, the chalet is not part of our land. 

I guess we must time it wrong as there has never been a space on the quay! Robin's idea of sounding the horn might be a good way to go but at least now we know that pump outs can be done at any point on the quay.

Whilst we are on the subject of pumpouts etc, we have found customer service at various places quite varied over the last 4 weeks. We stopped at Goodchild's, Burgh Castle, for diesel earlier this month. Reception informed us 'they are just going for their tea break'. Sure enough, 2 minutes later the hooter sounded. 15 minutes later it sounded for the end of the tea break and after another 5 minutes someone appreared to serve us. It did make me wonder how many places would make you wait to be served while the staff went for a tea break. If it happened in a shop, I think most people would go elsewhere but I guess it's a bit more of a 'captive audience' on the Broads.

Yesterday we popped into Russell's at South Walsham for water and decided we might as well have a pumpout while we were there. One lad point blank refused to do it because of 'faulty equipment' and said someone else would but would be extremely cross at being asked anyway.   I decided to give it a miss at that point, sad as Russell's have always provided good customer service but at the moment there appears to be a lack of understanding/communication at the yard.

Went to Horning Marina Services (the old  Southgates yard) this morning for the pumpout plus diesel and water. What fantastic customer service. The pumpout was the best we have had on the northern rivers, 3 good rinses. We'll be going back there.

We did stop at Broom's last week, the guy there who normally looks after the quay services did not seem all that well so if it was him who went home sick, I can't say I'm surprised. We've always had good service from Broom's and you get free water!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I know very well that on a small boatyard business the only one who is going to be there on a Sunday is the owner. You can't afford to have staff on overtime - maybe double - just in case a couple of boats come by for a pump out.

But at least if the owner is down there anyway, working on a boat in the sheds, you will get personal service!

Overtime/double time, sunday rate? Pretty much a thing of the past now, sundays are more or less just another day of trade for many businesses and staff rota'd accordingly to cover the whole week.  

But for those people with young families weekends off are necessary to; one spend time with the kids,  and two the (bracket i often fall into) spending time with kids whist the Mrs goes to work , take them for a bike ride, fix the punchers first, prep for work the next week, and at the same time trying to keep up with household chores and maintenance.

• Like 5