Ok I Admit, I Own An Alphacraft

tjg1677

Just been idly flicking through the forum topics and stumbled across this section about your boat etc.  Much to my surprise there was nothing under Alphacraft, so I thought I would start the ball rolling - does anyone else own one, what do you think, pros / cons, likes / dislikes, foibles, problems  etc etc. Cant beleive I am the only alphacraft owner on the forum - if I am then I own up and admit to having one.... lol.

For the record, mine is a 42 Lowliner, not the most popular of boats I know and not that many in private hands. So come on AC owners, please 'fess up and be counted :-) .

Trev

• Like 5

Good to hear that there are other owners out there who love their boats. When I bought mine it was a bit of a compromise as is everything really, I dont think my perfect boat exists. There are are a few things that annoy me about her but most of that can be put right in time. I am getting to love her now and cant imagine having another kind somehow.

Gracie - not beleive it or not, no pics,I have been that busy with the boat I didnt get round to taking any, but I will do - I promise.

trev.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tjg1677 said:

Gracie - not beleive it or not, no pics,I have been that busy with the boat I didnt get round to taking any, but I will do - I promise.

Wise move Trev, when oor Gracie gets well.....well you'll find out soon enough ! :naughty::naughty:

P.s.She is an :angel: really ☺

• Like 3

Best boat we ever hired was an Alphacraft. This was Swan Royale from Swancraft which we hired for many years. It was the rarer 32 foot version of the type which I believe Alan and Keith own. Roomy and very comfortable, superb visibility, great handling and ran on fresh air. We were gutted when Swancraft sold the boat at the end of the 2014 season, never have I wanted those numbers to come up as much as then!!!

Swan Royale.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Best boat we ever hired was an Alphacraft. This was Swan Royale from Swancraft which we hired for many years. It was the rarer 32 foot version of the type which I believe Alan and Keith own. Roomy and very comfortable, superb visibility, great handling and ran on fresh air. We were gutted when Swancraft sold the boat at the end of the 2014 season,

I looked at a AC 42  centre cockpit and have to admit, it is a lovely boat, quite clever as it Is cent. Cockpit yet all one level floor , genius really, lovely layout too. In the end i opted for mine for various reasons. Mine is one of the sisters to swan rapide. The original owner was barnes and they fitted her out. Her layout is totally different to any others i have seen and has fantastically spacious saloon and galley. Barnes did some weird things, e.g. the boat has a 24 volt system that runs the fridge and webasto, never come across a 24v system on an inland pleasure craft before, commercial yes, but certainly not on a broads boat, but hey it works well so who am i to judge?

I can imagine you were sad when the royale was sold, she looks a nice boat.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2016 at 11:52 PM, tjg1677 said:

the boat has a 24 volt system that runs the fridge and webasto, never come across a 24v system on an inland pleasure craft before, commercial yes, but certainly not on a broads boat, but hey it works well so who am i to judge?

24v is far more common than you would think. Basically, and somewhat crudely, if you double the volts you half the amps so everything runs a bit cooler and safer. Wiring thicknesses are reduced because the loads are halved and so it all gets a bit cheaper as well. 

I meant on broads boats Trev. In fact, a couple of years ago, a chap was selling loads of 12v Eberspacher heaters, fridges and assorted other stuff at the Norwich Boat Jumble. I think it was Barnes Brinkcrafts van behind him. It was certainly all ex hire boat from upgrades to 24v. We had a couple of heaters and were well pleased with them. 

8 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

I meant on broads boats Trev. In fact, a couple of years ago, a chap was selling loads of 12v Eberspacher heaters, fridges and assorted other stuff at the Norwich Boat Jumble. I think it was Barnes Brinkcrafts van behind him. It was certainly all ex hire boat from upgrades to 24v. We had a couple of heaters and were well pleased with them. 

Aha that kind of makes sense as mine is ex brinks and i have never hired a brinks boat, so just possibly it was a brinks thing. That said the system works very well and two days of the fridge running off them only saw a voltage drop of 0.2 volts so i was happy with that.     ps remind me to visit norwich boat jumble :clap

As a certain Alan said,heres Dad.Yes we have a Alpha 29.She started life in 1991.she can get a little bit stroppy sometimes,but she is a good boat.Inside a bit like the tardis.At times I wish she had a bit more power,can be interesting if we have to fight the tide.Overall A very good boat.

EnJoy your Alpha.

Here for you and Gracie is Sweet Kingfisher.20160911_170410_001.jpg 

• Like 6

Hello Trev, yes I am mum (Alan JawOrca) and hubby is the message above.

Oh yes, our Alpha 29 "Sweet Kingfisher" is our girl and we love her :love. She has a great guy who looks after her from her engine to other parts of her body, because being ex hire and ex French canals she needed some serious work done on her  :bow

During our hols earlier this month we met another AC29 owners, who are only moored down the river, so now we are friends of Northern Lass. We are moored at Cove Marina Brundall.

Not sure if I am blind, but what have you called your AC and where are you moored?

Regards

Marina :Stinky

IMG_0157.JPG

• Like 7