It Was The Best Of Times, It Was The Worst Of Times Pt2

Cheesey

I agree Vaughan. The fun is learning - safely. Getting back on a single screw shaft drive boat threw me completely this years after years on twins, stern drives and BTs. 

Mastering the single engine to me is a challenge I want to achieve. Amazingly when I started that's what I had and I think I did a reasonable job. It's easy to get lazy and enjoy the toys, but they don't always make in easy in a boat designed for speed more than close quarters manoeuvring. 

• Like 2

Of course there is always the "Riyadhcrew" school of thought, which dictates that if you have chartered a modern luxury cruiser you expect it come with the necessary accoutrements.

This turns an alongside mooring in a small space into a single, flowing movement of grace and tranquility.

I know - I have seen him doing it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Of course there are so many other factors - the water depth and its "squat" effect, a right or left hand propeller (very important) and a round bilge, against a hard chine.

But that to me, is all part of the fun of it!

Not the 'squat' again!! Arghhh...............

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Timbo said:

It's not so much that I've gone off Topic, it's just that you don't see them in the shops much these days. You see you Mars and your Marathons but if I fancy a Topic...none to be seen!

I understand there are experts on chocolates here, who may be able to help.

Meantime we await the video of the fitting of a bow thruster to Royal Tudor. I assume this will be a traditional post-Roman mechanical device of bicycle chains leading to a pedalled seat.

Do you intend operating this yourself, from the helm position or will you be calling orders to a crew member in the forward cabin?

Avast Heaving!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

Meantime we await the video of the fitting of a bow thruster to Royal Tudor.

It aint going to happen Vaughan! I've hired tupperware in the past with them fitted. I've nothing against bow thrusters, came in useful on occasion...but the gods damn awful racket they make sounds like someone's just thrown a bag of spanners in a twin tub. Even that supposedly silent electric powered Travelodge from Barnes sounds like Demis Roussos fronting a thrash metal band while accidently catching his flute and skittles in the mic stand. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Errr, I thought this was a holiday tale, not a thread for armchair admirals to generate hot air.

Oh well, never mind, our intent to inject a little innocent humour at this time of night  has not found favour.

You may have noticed that several of us have already apologised to Cheesy, on this thread. I think we had also hoped, from our armchairs, that our experience of the pros and cons of bowthrusters might be of value to members interested?

This "admiral" is going off watch now, so I will leave you to make your, albeit belated, contribution to this thread as you wish.

Starboard twenty, slow astern both engines.

• Like 2