New Fridge On Ebay

TeamElla

If I wanted one, at this price I would already have bought it.

It's on "buy it now" and yet there's 10 watchers. What's the point of that?

Item closes on Friday (or more importantly immediately anyone buys it) but you have to go to Nuneaton to pick it up:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waeco-CR50-fridge-/252564049694?hash=item3acdfd8f1e:g:USsAAOSwYIxX7oBR

p.s. nothing to do with any one I know, but it looks like a good buy

Steve

Have a look at these.. spotted it at our local camping store. I woudn't use the gas feature as I don't think it would be BSC approved but on 12v and 240v it should be all good.. £299 new and it's dometic which own waeco.

http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-motorhome/cool-boxes/camping-fridge/dometic-rf60-3-way-camping-caravan-fridge-12v-mains-lpg/

• Like 2

Hello Paul,

Yes there is that.

On the electrical / electronic side, I like to do my own repairs (which makes buying 2nd hand less of a gamble) but any refrigerant problems that we ever develop will always mean calling on the services of a refrigeration engineer.

Something similar (ends Friday):-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camper-Van-Unit-With-Waeco-Fridge-freezer-Hob-Sink-And-Gas-Bottle/122154498509?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D39069%26meid%3D68ea9c139aa1498db81ab39fe60ddaae%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D252564049694

Steve

Alan,

Sorry to introduce a note of doom and gloom, but that Dometic RF60 is an absorbtion fridge (hence the low price).

It appears that it only offers thermostatic (cycling on/off) control when used on Gas or AC mains and on 12 volts it will draw an eye watering current.

Re power consumption, you can't beat the economy of a compressor fridge and performance wise, the CR50 has a 3 star rated freezer section.

I measured -18 deg C in the freezer with the dial set at only no 4

Rgds,

Steve

• Like 2

ERCD regulations now say that you cannot fit a gas fridge in a boat unless it is a room-sealed unit. You may keep an existing installation (done before the rules changed) but it must be maintained to EC standards.

I would guess that the BSS says something similar. Maybe Teadeamon can tell us?

Electrolux do a room-sealed fridge for boats but it is a diddly little thing and costs about as much as an outboard dinghy. So they are really saying - Bye bye gas fridges.

A point to remember our last boat had a gas fridge, we went through about 3 bottles of gas a season, now with the same amount of hours a gas bottle lasts just over the season.

If you have shore power and a battery charger fitted don't be conned into buying an adapter to run off 240v use your battery charger as one.

paul

What's ercd Vaughan? Do you mean rcd? If so I thought these only apply to new builds? 

Outside of the bsc areas people can and do whatever they want. There are no regulations at all. Obviously one should what's safe but yup people don't :). 

Saying that though I've not looked too closely at this fridge and I no doubt the bsc would moan. I think under a canopy though bsc doesn't count (strangely)..

OK so can someone point me in the direction of a new fridge? I'm taking the old galley out, fitting new and need a new fridge to replace the old gas jobby we had. Preferably one where I'm not going to have to go on the game to afford it?

OK I don't mind 'putting out' occasionally Alan :naughty:

Let's see...say I have a budget of around a thousand but for that I need a 12v fridge and a 12v fairly luxurious toilet. These both have to be quite good quality...particularly the loo as these are conditions to my better half coming boating on a regular basis.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Tim What loo bowl are you getting rid of? I might be interested, Mine has a hairline crack in it!

Royal Tudor is fitted with an original...Let's just....cue music...step up Mr Jones....

"He always runs while others walk...and he strikes Dugadugadug like THUNDERBOX!"

One of the old fashioned square box type, complete with the original instructions (which I am keeping) on the back of the door which read "Look after your toilet and it will look after you. Put nothing in your toilet, with the exception of toilet paper, unless you have eaten it first!" The manual pump flush no longer works. Let's put it this way, Roman crappers I've excavated have been more advanced and in better condition than this one!

• Like 5

Ideally the same as the one I have. Now, to describe the 'one I have' is going to be a bit tortureous but here we go.

The flush is an electric pump on a push button control using river water. For as long as the button is being pressed the pump sends the water straight into the bowl.

There is no mashing and grinding of that which has just been laid, it drops straight through into the tank. If you want to know how full the tank is, just operate the foot peddle and peer down the hole.

The afore mentioned foot peddle when pressed, operates what looks like a hemisphere, allowing the objective of your visit to fall gracefully into the awaiting space below. As you release said peddle, the hemisphere turns back providing an almost (but not quite) waterproof seal between yourself and that which lies beneath.

As descriptions go,that's about as full as I can think of. If any further information will help anyone, please do ask.

The replacement is becoming a little more pressing as the effect of the hairline crack is that all is well for the gentlemen who stand and consider their options, however, should it be a lady, or if it is a gentleman wishing to be seated uses the facility, the hairline crack I think opens up and gives forth a little and slightly unpleasant seepage.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2016 at 10:08 AM, JawsOrca said:

Have a look at these.. spotted it at our local camping store. I woudn't use the gas feature as I don't think it would be BSC approved but on 12v and 240v it should be all good.. £299 new and it's dometic which own waeco.

http://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-motorhome/cool-boxes/camping-fridge/dometic-rf60-3-way-camping-caravan-fridge-12v-mains-lpg/

Alan! they are designed for motor homes not boats! the proper use of them is you put them on 240v at home, switch to 12v while travelling, then when you get to site 240v or gas if there's no hook up, I know loads fit them because they are cheap but they really arn't up to the job on a boat, on 12v they are a battery killer, and a lot I've seen on gas arn't properly vented out the side of the boat, mine is an Isotherm and I can get two days on battery, my son in law has the one you mention and on 12v it didn't last more than about 6hrs with two 110amp battery's,

• Like 2

It sounds like a Mansfield Traveller, spares are quite easy to get for these still I think.

The reason I asked was because I have a Jabsco manual fitted on my boat that I may be replacing and the bowl is fine and you could have had that.

cheers

trev