Richardsons 2017 Offering

Broads01

The Richardsons 2017 brochure is now available and I've had a quick browse of the pdf version whilst I wait for my paper copy (still love the old fashioned paper glossy!). From what I can make out, the fleet will be hardly changed for next year. There's certainly no cut downs on the older craft so I expect Richos will do their usual thing of selling off one boat from a class here and there. Prices haven't increased much although I haven't done a full comparison and I noticed the 4-6 berth mid-range as per Soprano, Sunlit Horizon have increased a chunk in peak season to £1246 (previously under £1200 I think).

This is the first brochure without the Acle base and that makes me feel sad even though I've known about it for a while. It seems to be only Far Horizon is operating from Horning. Although everything else can pass under Ludham I expected others as otherwise they'll have to have cleaners, engineers and reception staff there just to service one boat!

• Like 2

I fail to see how people can be unhappy at business being brought into the area. In David's holiday thread he was told by HW that 60 boats were going out one day and another 50 the next, all, I would imagine spending hard earned cash in towns, villages and pubs across Broadland

After sadly losing Royalls in Wroxham, and Alpha Craft in recent times, surely any business Richardson's can bring into Horning can only be a good thing.

I am not a local and I don't own a Boat but I love the place with a passion. I do wish people would be more careful what they wish for

Sorry for going a tad off topic, Simon

Grace

• Like 8

Serene Gem, Broadland Lass, Rio, San Carlos, San Michelle, Executive, Madeira, Opal Gem, Solitaire, Soprano, Prelude, Crusader, Tideway, San Diego and Corsica have all been restricted. They might be doing extra work on those ones.

• Like 1

Good spot, that's a first. Yes it's possible those boats are due work to be done but I would have thought if that was the case it would be finished by July and the boats would be available in October. Alternatively I'm wondering if they're just looking to cut costs by reducing the size of the fleet outside of peak season. If so I find that disappointing because from a customer perspective the choice of boats is reduced early and late season.

• Like 1

I like the fact that all the boats photographs are presented in the same orientation (bow to the left of the page) which makes it all seem smarter and easier to take in the different types and shapes than where you have boats facing different ways.

As to the Marina in Horning - if I remember rightly part of the planning application stated that a visitor berth or berths were needed but I could be wrong, but if I am right then they may be using that to cover both bases. Have somewhere that is available to moor at for a visiting boat or two, but actually usually not available since it is reserved for when the hire boat or boats are there.

I also think at time of opening the prices per foot was attractive which may have captured business and then having to deal with the improvement works to the site.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

As to the Marina in Horning - if I remember rightly part of the planning application stated that a visitor berth or berths were needed but I could be wrong,

That condition was for the new moorings at the old Freedom site

not the existing one which LeBoat operated from which is the one

in question I believe.

Those conditions only apply to any new moorings being created.

My understanding is that part of the fleet will be laid up on a rolling programme to accommodate the boats from Horizon Craft.I would imagine that the ones on restricted hire are the same type as some from Horizon but in worse condition.

• Like 1

On 03/10/2016 at 6:17 PM, Gracie said:

I fail to see how people can be unhappy at business being brought into the area. In David's holiday thread he was told by HW that 60 boats were going out one day and another 50 the next, all, I would imagine spending hard earned cash in towns, villages and pubs across Broadland

After sadly losing Royalls in Wroxham, and Alpha Craft in recent times, surely any business Richardson's can bring into Horning can only be a good thing.

I am not a local and I don't own a Boat but I love the place with a passion. I do wish people would be more careful what they wish for

Sorry for going a tad off topic, Simon

Grace

I think it`s more to do with possible accidental damage Gracie?. Lightning is moored right on the side of Brooms fuel quay, but WAS moored in the dyke to the side, which ls the basin where all their hirefleet moor at changeover. We were offered the move due to Lightning being "hit" a couple of times, by hireboat skippers returning into the basin. Maybe that`s the point regarding Richardsons at Horning?.

I forgot to say Lightning took a major clout in Beccles a short while ago, so we`re getting a little fed up with it ourselves. At least we don`t have to pay for the damage, BUT it does mean Lightning will be out of service for repairs in the winter time, that time is supposed to be occupied by an owner who has paid for 4 weeks a year but will be going without due to someones negligence at best, pure stupidity and lack of care at worst.

• Like 1

I totally understand where you're coming from, I'm more than certain if I owned a Boat on the Broads and she got hit by careless hire crews I would be just as mortified, my point is  the Broads is a playground for everyone whether it be, private owners, hirers, day boats canoeists etc, accidents whether they be by an 'idiot' being totally reckless or just some poor unfortunate getting into difficulties (surely we've all been there, I know I have) is inevitable. it all comes down to the same thing, a boaters paradise for experienced crews and novices alike.

The fact that hire bases are a lot less than when my Dad started hiring and losing moorings that have been lost in recent years is an absolute tragedy in my opinion. All I meant was if we continue to not be tolerant of hirers, eventually the Broads as we know it would be lost to us all

If ever I am fortunate to own a Boat in this wonderful place, I am sure I would never forget that I was once a hirer and try to be as tolerant as I can, especially towards people who find themselves in situations out of their control, the 'idiots' and I know there are some people who don't give a damn, then they should be dealt with in a totally different manner.

Accidents happen in all walks of life and if I am ever fortunate enough to have a Boat on the Broads, I would most certainly take into account all of my points above

Grace

• Like 5

My boat Nyx is an ex hire craft and as such she carries all the scars that go with her 'previous life' . When I had a bit of cash I did wonder about having her re gel-coated. I decided against it as I like being out on her at any time, including when the broads are chock-a-block with novices. In fact that's my favourite time. So many people all trying to enjoy themselves, all on holiday, all having fun.

That is when Nyx is at her most vulnarable. Do I worry? No!...    If I had had her re-gelcoated would I worry then? Yes!...    You bet I would. ...   Do I want to worry or do I want to go boating in the worlds best National Park? (sorry Petrer, couldn't resist :) ) You all know the answer to that one.

We all have different priorities and lets face it, to watch the mix of proud gin palaces and chereished woodies is one of mine. So, the larger boatyards have for hire everything from bling boats to rent a wreck and long may it remain.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

My boat Nyx is an ex hire craft and as such she carries all the scars that go with her 'previous life' . When I had a bit of cash I did wonder about having her re gel-coated. I decided against it as I like being out on her at any time, including when the broads are chock-a-block with novices. In fact that's my favourite time. So many people all trying to enjoy themselves, all on holiday, all having fun.

That is when Nyx is at her most vulnarable. Do I worry? No!...    If I had had her re-gelcoated would I worry then? Yes!...    You bet I would. ...   Do I want to worry or do I want to go boating in the worlds best National Park? (sorry Petrer, couldn't resist :) ) You all know the answer to that one.

We all have different priorities and lets face it, to watch the mix of proud gin palaces and chereished woodies is one of mine. So, the larger boatyards have for hire everything from bling boats to rent a wreck and long may it remain.

John I couldnt have put it better either. I agree with you 100%.

Charlie

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I think it`s more to do with possible accidental damage Gracie?. Lightning is moored right on the side of Brooms fuel quay, but WAS moored in the dyke to the side, which ls the basin where all their hirefleet moor at changeover. We were offered the move due to Lightning being "hit" a couple of times, by hireboat skippers returning into the basin. Maybe that`s the point regarding Richardsons at Horning?.

I forgot to say Lightning took a major clout in Beccles a short while ago, so we`re getting a little fed up with it ourselves. At least we don`t have to pay for the damage, BUT it does mean Lightning will be out of service for repairs in the winter time, that time is supposed to be occupied by an owner who has paid for 4 weeks a year but will be going without due to someones negligence at best, pure stupidity and lack of care at worst.

In which case are those owners hiring something else and recovering those costs from offending party?

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:46 PM, oceandawn said:

My understanding is that part of the fleet will be laid up on a rolling programme to accommodate the boats from Horizon Craft.I would imagine that the ones on restricted hire are the same type as some from Horizon but in worse condition.

That makes sense, except your comment about condition. Richardsons do an excellent job of maintaining condition across the fleet. If anything, the Acle fleet have had slightly less work done in terms of replacement laminates, galleys and the like.

• Like 1

Can't complain about the quality of Richardsons boats, we've used them many times and continue to do so.

last year we had probably their chapest boat Broadland Mercury & it was a fantastic boat, yes dated a bit inside was spotless and it run like a dream.

only reason we use other boatyards as well is we like to vary our starting point and like to try different boats

• Like 3

I was going through some old photos on my phone I had taken of Horizon Craft last night and that made me think to the boats I had hired from there myself.

I can well imagine that Horizon Craft was given a certain budget and Mick would manage this in a way that provided for the ‘small details’ like continuing to have some Flotex Carpet in cabins, carpet sweepers, a different type of duvet cover set and curtains are examples. 

Also, being a smaller fleet their cleaning team had more time to work on the boats and I remember seeing some members of the engineering team wash down boats and hulls too.  Things like the beds being made up on your arrival – small touch I know, but made a difference being one more thing you did not need to worry about.

From an operational point of view though they would have to constantly be moving boats from the basin to the river front moorings so boats were ready for people to take over from the basin would be ready for the new customers arrival.

Thing is, while Richardson’s Stalham base is far larger, they manage their team very efficiently. The boats are all taken out every season and inspected, painted or polished and repaired – when you see them all lined up in late March/early April you see how much work goes on in the winter time making them ready for seasons start.  

They are also amongst the cleanest boats I have hired – never would you find any grime left by the previous hires – grease free hobs, clean kettles, spotless sinks and heads – not to mention the windows themselves are cleaned without dirty streaks of river water down them where the ‘Saturday crew’ have just mopped the decks and left the water to run down everywhere and be left. 

You genuinely ‘get what you pay for’ with Richardson’s.  I think actually so far as the boats go they represent true good honest value. I remember a few years back at the time hiring San Salino – a bathtub and at the time one of the cheapest boats you could hire from them.  I took it out in the first week they were open for hire in March, and you know it was fine.  The heating was good, it had a nice size hob and oven, radio and TV even the cutlery was decent.

I also like the feeling of support you get from the team – let’s say something was missing, or did not work – as was the case on White Champagne – the 12v socket was not working and the heater (it had 2) was great for the forward cabin but the rear and second heater was putting out hardly any air.  

I called reception – they did not want to know much just where are you, Wroxham I said by the Hotel – 20 minutes later a chap is with us – heater sorted (air outlet pipe had come adrift from the back of the heater) new 12v socket fitted, sign here and he was away in about 15 minutes.  No ifs, buts or ‘can you make do, wait until tomorrow’ etc.  

They have been helpful when asking for extra bedding, warps, or mud weight too so when you see the cost of their classic boats, what you get for the money and the support waiting if anything is wrong it is no surprise they do very well from boating.  They don’t have a range of swish river side apartments or chalets to let out – they don’t have a large brokerage businesses to manage they do one thing and do that well.  

• Like 10

I agree Richardsons boats are always ultra clean inside. Sometimes the lack of exterior cleanliness frustrates me but you can't always have everything. I agree about the call outs as well, although I very rarely have to call them for anything (like the Honda advert used to say, everything just...works). When we did phone them from Reedham due to a non-functional tv aerial out the guy came in no time at all.

Hi, 

its only Far Horizon and 'Jomaric' which will be for hire from Horning, 

Far is a small boat with a bow thruster and Jomaric will only be let to experienced crews, 

BHBF have waived the reciprocal moorings arrangement for this small operation so no fears there. 

By the way, I have a side on mooring here at horning and a stern on for up to 35 ft, both at £63/ft inc VAT.

there are a few in the wet shed for long term or winter cover and a couple of big spaces out side.. (at Stalham)

Edited by C.Ricko
(at stalham) added
  • Like 2