Broads/coastal Anode Choice

It's anode time and I'm wondering what the consensus is on which material to go for on a boat that lives at thorpe on the yare but goes out to sea regularly, anodes are on the bottom of the hull so changing for different water types isn't an option, it's a shaft drive boat so no option of lifting outdrives and swapping over.

I know it's zinc for sea, magnesium for fresh, aluminium for brackish, but all get passivated and stop working in the wrong water so what do others do?

Thanks guys, a bit of googling was sending me down that route, it seems cheap ali anodes are best avoided and make sure to get good ones, the performancemetals ones look worth a go.

I've now got 90Kg less stainless steel in the equation as I've cut the jersey keel off the bottom, that should help anode life as well as speed/mpg.

• Like 1

My existing ones have completely disappeared but looked good a year ago, I don't know what material they were as they were on when I bought the boat, the 90kg of stainless keel bonded in probably didn't help and there may be an issue with shore power earth but I do have a galvanic isolator in the earth line but the jury seems to be out on wether they actually do any good.

I don't mean to market these anodes.. but they do seem perfect for most UK waters, I don't quite understand why they haven't fully taken on here in the UK consider there's a lot of boats in brackish waters and have alloy sterndrives. I've actually chatted the MD in the US and he said they've just not thought in detail (yet) of the UK market.. but they do look the perfect anode and although Orca is now in fresh water they are working well and have the full backing of our marine surveyor. Take a look at this info flyer: 

http://www.performancemetals.com/images/pdfs/Navalloy Anodes Flyer_May14.pdf

As I mentioned Brian Wards in Brundall supplied ours.

• Like 1