If Money Were No Object

Gracie

The Skipper made a point on the Hire Boat thread about owning a Boat and it got me thinking (dangerous I know) but if money were no object, would those of you that own keep your pride and joy that no doubt most of you have lovingly restored or would you go for the best of the best?

Most of us 'normal' and by normal, I mean we are not relatives of the likes of Richard Branson, people couldn't afford Boats like Commodore or Commander (Rickos's bling boats) I am sure but for me anyway, I would still go for an older type of Boat with character and battle scars, I don't particularly like white interiors, they are just too white if you get my drift. A priority for me and I would imagine a lot of girls on here would be storage (shoes lol), a bit of space and a comfy bed, not the size of or how many engines a Boat may have. What would be your priorities?

So, just for a bit of fun, what would you buy?

Grace :kiss

• Like 7

I would be living somewhere warmer, have a boat where you can actually swim in the water and fly back First Class for a week or 2 on one of Rickos bling boats. The staff can have the wifes shoes on their boatcheers

I might even buy up a few of those low bridges and accidentally blow them up - along with the swing bridges.:hardhat:

• Like 3

I would support Norfolk business by buying an Oyster 575 but would keep it in the South of France near to the Italian border. Somewhere like Menton.

However as my wife's health continues to deteriorate it would not be alot of good to me. My own boat has had 2 hours use in the last 14 months.

• Like 2

Morning Gracie, Must confess old with character doesn't "float my boat" although I do admire them when I  see Them out on the river and I appreciate all the  hard work that goes into keeping them up to scratch.  But would I want one No! I've found it very odd with boats that often those that look stunning outside lack something inside and vice versa.  I like to be warm when on board, have, as you say plenty of storage and a  decent galley. and I prefer the heads/showers not to be squalid/smelly please.. the bot we have now  a    Sheerline 1050 ac is modern (new when we had her 6 years ago) and has all the facilities listed above. and I think  even on the back of a  big financial windfall. changing her would not be a priority.

regards,

Carole

• Like 1

I don't need a bigger Motor boat:Stinky if anything the Elysian 27CCP is a bit too big, So I'd just have the rest of it done up now I've already done the engine.:love

Now as for sailing, I'd probably get a White boat:Sailing for the summer, and a Yeoman :Sailing with central seat for the winter..:love

Elsewhere I'd buy up the marsh land opposite Horning and restore the wherry bypass mentioned in another thread.  and have a new big sign made, Please use the bypass during Horning regatta week unless you like having a heart attack:love:swordpir:

The terrace of houses down river from the Horning village green would be demolished :wave and  the green extended, also the terrace of houses upriver of the sailing club would  go :wave( and we need a new sailing club building).. I need more wind for sailing.:Sailing

How abut a canal from Barton to Hickling :Stinky

A canal to join the Bure to Breydon Half a mile before the Great Yarmouth roundabout.:Stinky

• Like 3

I have already mentioned a canal between Hickling and Barton (called the 'Mitty Mynah waterway' ) some year or so back, and oddly enough, it would make, rather than cost, money to build.  My design would avoid any danger of salt water incursion, and, if the master plan were fully adopted would make more money for the Potter Heigham pilots, not less.

• Like 3

Mark, that's just the flag I would have flying on my not too new centre cockpit cruiser, with whirpool bath, shoe and wine storage and Johnny Depp helming :love

Just please don't show Carole or Jean, otherwise they will want one as well, Johnny Depp, not the flag :naughty:

Grace

• Like 3

Well for me it would require to be three boats in three areas. One here at the Troon Marina, a Brooms bling one, for  cruising the Firth of Clyde etc. One for Lake Garda a Richos 45 centre cockpit jobbie, and on the Broads a Broadway re fitted to suit me, with the fire extinguisher fitted just behind the helsman seat, much safer!:)

cheersIain

• Like 3

I’m torn between a Broom 42 from the early 80’s or a Fairline 50 form the late 80’s.  This was a period where boats in this category were built strong and looked like boats.  They have a pointed bit at the front and a square bit at the back – they are not ‘jelly molds’ and had their own look and feel about them – unlike today where all the boats seem to have to have so many curves and bits of black glass put in the side of their hulls.

I prefer the Fairline 50 because you have the large outside space, the small ‘crew cabin’ under this area which can double as large storage and the lovely internal space through the saloon and huge galley. 

These are expensive, but they are certainly a great deal of boat for the money they cost and while they would not be Broads boats– well unless kept down on the southern rivers, the things one could do with these internally and possibilities with smaller, lighter re-engine options are great.

• Like 3

I've often thought about this and I have come to the conclusion that I wouldn't change very much with regard to our boat. Probably refit the interior but to change the bathtub for something blingy and limiting just wouldn't do it for me now. I don't think I could get on and off some of the boats that are around now anyway! I guess if money were no object, I would have to be a bit like Lady Shifty (Lady Green) and have a large fully crewed yacht and sail the world. But I would still have to come back very regularly to my little treasure on the Broads.:Stinky

• Like 2

Oh Gracie...Ok well you asked...

I just came back from the southampton boat show.. I really feel for a little 40 foot catamaran..   So she would be in the Caribbean..

Right next.. 

Sadly Brooms don't make anything big enough (They did do a 55 I think but even thats a bit small).

A nordhaven (probably a 76).. (http://www.nordhavn.com/models/76/) that would be home.. she would probably be somewhere quiet on the med.. Probably the greek coast.  These are really built like proper little ships. Had a look at a 52 I think.. So hard to get off!

Finally to escape the world, it would be a classic timber cruiser kept on the norfolk broads.. ;) 

• Like 4

I can imagine that Gracie would want a boat with at least two spare cabins, one to port and one to starboard.

These would be fitted out with hundreds of small pigeon holes to accommodate left shoes to port and right shoes to starboard.

Got to keep the balance right !     lol

Jeff 

• Like 2

I like the look of that Powells Star Glory on the Wayford marine website, I could just see myself living aboard something like that, with the lounge area converted to a modelling workshop / lounge space, hmm now where to put the cats.

all I need now is a nice lottery win - Hmm, I suppose that means I would have to play the lottery.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

Looking at the Nordhavn, makes my wishes seem pretty small lol.  The problem with boats like this is you need a mini crew to keep them going - look at the engine room on that thing! It is not a case of lift the hatch up, but walk into it.

A few of Griff's old RN mates I am sure would crew up. Now THATwould be fun! :naughty:

• Like 1

I would keep sk but would  get a haines and do trips to France and Spain,a bigger boat such as a sun seeker  moored in the south of France and just for fun a classic  wooden  speed boat.And a helicopter  to get around  from all those  boats.I even have a name for the chopper.The flight of the kingfisher Now all I need is those six numbers 

• Like 2

I'm with you here Grace

something older with character nicely fitted out but not too flash and don't need all the electric mod cons 

don't want a floating hotel, spent far too many nights in them ( hotels that is, not floating ones) over the years through business.

I would want to be able to get away from it all and enjoy the Broads at it's best.

• Like 1

I would have a bespoke designed boat, along the lines of an alpha flattie, 45 feet long, 6 ft 4 headroom even in the showers, wide doors, bow and stern thruster, 4 cabins en suite, big split level galley, dual steering....ermmm think I have just run out of interior space.

If money were really no object, would have a newbuild moonraker based on the 70's design, but the rnli a new offshore lifeboat -    oh, and buy the broads authority........now theres a thought.

trev

• Like 3