Flu Jab

Poppy

Being classed as an 'unfortunate likely to pop his clogs if he sneezes' I get pestered to have the Flu Jab every year. After I got the most appalling flu that landed me in hospital the first year I had the jab, I decided to not have it the following year. No flu. I was then pestered again by the mountebanks who held up my hospitalisation as evidence I needed the jab so I had the jab again...promptly got the flu which turned into pneumonia which landed me in hospital again. So the following year I didn't have the jab. No flu. New GP next year with whom I had a mass argument over the jab. The GP had a word with my Mrs saying that unless I had the jab I would be removed from the GP's list. So once again I had the jab, got the flu, got pneumonia ended up in hospital...and got a new GP. I am not having the jab this year so we will see what happens.

There's only one way to avoid the flu...hot, bum burning, curry twice a week. The curry kills the lurgi...well to be more exact it stops the pestilential & disease ridden from coming near me until the curry fumes and exhausts have gone...by which time I top up on curry. :naughty:

• Like 8

12 hours ago, SteveO said:

Had mine yesterday. Have it every year. Why risk flu when it can be easily avoided?

cheers

Steve

Ditto Mary-Jane and me.

We arrived at  our surgery yesterday morning at 11.40, 10 & 12 minutes ahead of our appointments. We were on our way home before we should even have started! So I think your lot at Stalham should look at their system, Q!   :wave

For efficiency you cannot beat Beccles Medical Centre at the Hospital.     We all are given our days by the first letter of your surname ie A - G 24th September etc with a last session into October for the people who couldn't make their own day.   There is never much of a queue,   we have queued for no more than 5 minutes any year and this year we just breezed in. We did wonder if people were not bothering anymore.   All of their staff, including doctors and nursers are on duty on those mornings so it is run just like clockwork.   I cannot praise them enough.

14 hours ago, SteveO said:

Had mine yesterday. Have it every year. Why risk flu when it can be easily avoided?

cheers

Steve

If only it was that simple!  http://www.nvic.org/NVIC-Vaccine-News/March-2013/effectiveness-of-flu-vaccine-raises-more-red-flags.aspx

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2011/10/25/university-of-minnesota-flu-vaccine-study

And for last year , UK figures https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/530756/Influenza_vaccine_effectiveness_in_primary_care_in_children.pdf

Timbo, were you aware that GPs are paid extra for every patient who gets a flu vaccine?

Having worked with many elderly people in the past, I would never allow this injection for myself, having seen the really bad affect it had on others. Some said they  went to the doctor's for another purpose, and the doctor injected them without asking. When they enquired what it was for, the doctor just said it's the flu jab. I believe a few years ago the doctor was paid just over £7 for this.

29 minutes ago, johnb said:

Having worked with many elderly people in the past, I would never allow this injection for myself, having seen the really bad affect it had on others. Some said they  went to the doctor's for another purpose, and the doctor injected them without asking. When they enquired what it was for, the doctor just said it's the flu jab. I believe a few years ago the doctor was paid just over £7 for this.

What about 'informed consent' ?    There would have been grounds for a serious complaint!

I thought so too Poppy, I would regard it as an assault, however I wasn't in a position to interfere as most of the folk had families who could represent them if they wanted to. I will soon have to change my doctor, and I may put it in writing that I do not wish to have this injection and there will be repercussions if I am given it without consent (I will stamp my feet quite hard!!)

• Like 2

I have had it in the past ( free on my employer as they got someone in to do the staff to try and reduce winter sickness levels), the very first time I felt a bit groggy for a few days, but I stopped having it last year. the truth is that its available, but each year they take a guess as to the 4  strains of the flu that will occur, if you have had the jab and a new strain of flu comes along, you can still get it, I would much rathe take the risk nowadays and suffer from the flu if I get it.

• Like 1

As we are now entering darkest autumn, we that's SWMBO and I take a daily dose of Vit C and D tabs, plus for me my shake me and I rattle painkillers ! My dear old mum was a nurse, and they were guinea pigs for the original flu jab, it made her very ill, and never had it again. 

Its a case of pays yer money and takes yer choice. Or not, as the case may be!

cheersIain

• Like 1

If I sneeze  three times I have had the flu, I've never suffered from colds of flu my entire life, when I got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes the doctor somehow persuaded me to have the flu jab, that year I had flu about three times, endless colds and what made it even worse was I just couldn't shake them, colds hung on for weeks and the flu bought new meaning to man flu, I have never been so i'll in my whole life, the next year I told him about it and he told me it's rubbish it can't affect you, I told him where to stick his flu jab! that was around nine years ago, I now refuse the flu jab and havn't had a cold or flu in all that time,,

• Like 5

There is no way on this planet that any kind of jab or over the counter remedies would cure or relieve the symptoms of man flu, ever :naughty: The poor unfortunates (namely most men) that suffer from this condition are normally rendered utterly useless, on the sofa, wrapped in a duvet feeling completely sorry for themselves, the poor little lambs :naughty:

Grace

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

The poor unfortunates (namely most men) that suffer from this condition are normally rendered utterly useless, on the sofa, wrapped in a duvet feeling completely sorry for themselves, the poor little lambs :naughty:

Grace

Baaaaaah! I think they are just looking a little sheepish:naughty:..... Grace.:wave

cheersIain

• Like 1